2014 Cape Town Enduro Races

Headshot

I totally get the blind approach, and fine, you convinced me. Just one thing though, are the KZN events then not Enduro? Because they give detailed info regarding trails etc beforehand. Same with the EWS. Is the EWS not enduro?

I was actually more bleak about other organisers' failure to commit to a hinted date and then when people started getting peeved with the failure to commit they take the attitude of "Well then go and do something else if you don't want to come ride".

Anyways, I confirm again, the event was well run. A few small glitches were present but they will sort themselves out with time.

And there were quite a few complaints about that last year.

Anyway, it actually doesn't matter.

If it's a blind run, that's cool. If it's the actual stages to be ridden are released that's also cool.

It's the format that makes it Enduro.

In fact Deviate drove through from George at "late notice" to ride.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, it actually doesn't matter.

If it's a blind run, that's cool. If it's the actual stages to be ridden are released that's also cool.

It's the format that makes it Enduro.

In fact Deviate drove through from George at "late notice" to ride.

Give that man a Bell's! That's the spirit! True mountainbiker!

A big thing to remember is that European Enduro riders have a lot of skill, they are used to riding very steep and gnarly trails. So to ride a technical trail blind for them is not a big issue.

However in SA, where we would like to grow the sport of Enduro, I think the locations and routes should be known before the event. This will allow riders who would like to get into the discipline enough time to ride certain sections and increase their confidence before the event.

We need to gradually transition local riders into Enduro racing and prevent a "baptism of fire" approach.

All the above is only my opinion of course.

Cap and Mayhem didn't make it. Cap was that because there were no water points or because the venue was announced late. So many BS excuses wasting space on the Hub. If you didnt make it blame yourselves not the organisers. Guess you won't be at the next one either guys.

Hmmm. Tim - I didn't blame the organisers for me not being able to make it. I said that the late confirmation had repercussions that led to a clash in my schedules. I can't blame the organiser for my wife scheduling an appointment on the day, or cancelling / postponing the appointment, or my lack of funds a week before the event, can I?

There are REASONS I could not make it. That doesn't make it the organisers fault that I couldn't.

And that's a mega fail on the organisation part. Bad form

If I had known where we were supposed to go I could have pulled in. would have had my bike fixed for the day.

So what are you belly aching about then? Racing is not for every one, we don't judge. Much.

So what are you belly aching about then? Racing is not for every one, we don't judge. Much.

I'm belly aching about the lack of venue info until a just a week beforehand, which meant that I wasn't able to tell K (my wife) where it was and what time I was going to be back, before she needed to confirm a client meeting, thereby ruling me out of the event.

Most of the belly aching is because I actually COULD have made it 'cos the client meeting got postponed the day before the race, yet I didn't have the available cash to do it.

Damn wished i had known about this !! when is the nextone?? please hubbers keep me posted first i knew about this was today, i need to wake up.

Fell myself in my se slaai in on SS1! Trying to go too fast early on, like the idiot I am! Ribs are still sore (bruised, cracked, broken)and suffered quite a bit on SS2.

Definitely worth it though! Enjoyed the "Gravity" Enduro more than the "Trail" Enduro at Delheim. Both fun though, but I enjoy the technical challenges. Will be there on the 27th!

How was it, Taahir?

Enduro actually started at tokai on saturday afternoon, sessioned mamba and a few other trails with capricorn... So thanks capricorn for the helful tips, I used every bit of it. Only sad part was that I took a while before I felt settled. So things really only came together for me from the flow trail and SS3.Highlight for me was definately ridding and meeting okes.The event was well orgainised in my books, SS1 was a a bit of a long wait. The wait time at SS2 and SS3 was okay.As Omega Man said, well done to all those that made it possible for us to have a realy fun day. Timekeepers and all the other guys and gals behind the scene.Okay, so yes I prefered to stay right at the back of the bunch... By the time I hit canaries the corners was very loose. SS2 was by far the stage that tested me the most. If only I could ride off-camber better, and had a dropper for that exposed singletrack that links the end of bennets to the flow section. Had to get off and run up that knoppie...SS3 was the most fun for me by far, it all just came together for me there.Sorry to hear about your timing NicoBoshoff, I wouldv been upset if that happended to me. Well done to Gary Barnar that guys is a machine! Both climbing and descending..But yeah, was well worth every penny. Even though I knew I wouldn't stand. A chance against the locals.. Still got to ride with them I see where i placed amoungst downhill guys. I think those who didn't do it really missed out.Iwan hope you recover well, and that your dropper aint too badly damaged.

I would like the route info. It doesn't make sense to ask people to pay, and they don't even know what they're paying for. Release the info, and for the few that want to take it seriously and go practice, hooray for them. You're still going to have all sorts of anomalies with some people beating others due to having home advantage. :)