Cheapish Bibs

scuzzy

Blokman, I saw those, one of the ones I am considering. How is their sizing?

Blokman, I saw those, one of the ones I am considering. How is their sizing?

I am 1.71 tall ,or shall I say short. And weigh 72 kg . I e mailed them my stats and they suggested medium . They were willing to exchange if returned unused. My fit was fine . You can speak to the owner. Ricky, if I recall correctly.

Maybe you could also have a look at the Medac Bibs. If I'm not mistaken it gets sold by the same guys that does the Rockets Compression gear. Had mine since 2011 and still going strong. Material starting to fade now, but if I had to choose, I would choose them over the Due South Bibs my wife got me last year.

If I recall correctly, they were around 550 mandelas at that time

Not to start a debate on what the best bibs are, but what bibs are there that is more affordable, I know the usual suspects Assos, Vermarc, Craft, Castelli, with Assos obviously leading the pack, I prefer Castelli.

In my effort not to wash bibs twice a week, is there anything else for a 1:30 ride in the week, that is cheaper than those leaders?

I see Craft has more affordable bibs, so does First Ascent and the cheaper Cape Storms as well.

Could anyone advocate on something like this, or do I just go out and spend double the amount on another pair of Castelli's?

I bought 3 First Ascent bibs for Sani last year, and for me they are FANTASTIC. At R700 a bib at Sportsmans they work very well. I wear them sometimes twice a week (6 times) and still going strong!!! All my rides are 1:30+. Long rides of 4 hours +.

I've some Craft and First Accent that I like. I recon for R500-R700 you will get a good pair of Craft.

The New Balance factory outlet in Durban, Stamford Hill Road has sales on cycling stuff every other week.

I would hope each major city has one of these stores...

I managed to pick up bibs for R450, and I they have done very well for me.

Craft at great prices at thegearchange.co.za

+1

Also @ bridge Cycles clearance store.

Alternatively:

- Tenn

- Specialized (one model is a steal and v.good)

- Nalini are decent

to be honest I always keep an eye out for sales, clearances and specials locally and on the hub and that way you get great shorts at decent prices for the day to day stuff. Only new, never 2nd hand, always with tags!

Recent pick ups have been:

- Craft Elites @ R500

- Vermarc MTN Q's (not fakes) @ R300

- Assos Unos @ R500

- Castelli Velociimo @ R650

My Anantomic just go and go. Use them 2 - 3 times aweek. The mid-priced ones are just under R500. Really comfy chamois too. Also have a pair of First Ascent compression bibs that I use for longer rides. Awesome at R899.

I did the same. The Nalini bib is comfortable enough for my normal 1 - 2.5 hour rides, couple of times per week. It has also endured being washed a couple times per week for more than a year, so I am happy with it. There may be better ones out there, but I haven't felt the need to get one of them yet. It was also a pleasure dealing with Naas, so I will probably go back there again when my current bib is finally hanging in tatters around my knees, begging to be replaced.

+1 on Nalini from Naas (EVO bikes). Bought two of the cheapest and 1.5 years later they are still going strong. Great value

Rapid Sport for me.

I am really tall and they the only guys who could make the bibs fit me. The stretchy part that goes over my shoulder needs to be much longer.

• 5 weeks later...

+1

Also @ bridge Cycles clearance store.

Alternatively:

- Tenn

- Specialized (one model is a steal and v.good)

- Nalini are decent

to be honest I always keep an eye out for sales, clearances and specials locally and on the hub and that way you get great shorts at decent prices for the day to day stuff. Only new, never 2nd hand, always with tags!

Recent pick ups have been:

- Craft Elites @ R500

- Vermarc MTN Q's (not fakes) @ R300

- Assos Unos @ R500

- Castelli Velociimo @ R650

Where did you pick up the uno's?

Quickly browsed through the thread, so not sure if this has been mentioned.

The top of the line Velotex bib is a very good deal. Got mine for +-R800.

Did Sabie Classic with it and was perfect. Apart from that, the First Ascent Revolution bib with +-100 density chamois is also awesome, the compression one(white sections) fits more form fitting than the normal black one.

for training rides i will not spend more than R300 bucks,

used rapid sport for the last 4 years or so for training, anatomic is good aswell

the rapid sport however don't last long, 1-2 years then is is worn out

• 3 weeks later...

I have got to be a bit biased :whistling:. The best bibs in the game from Vermarc, are available online at bicyclegear.co.za. R1450 for plain black or white. Fully imported, perfect for multi-stage events or when you are training for a big race.