70.3 Finishers Shirt

davem

If you, like me, are unhappy with the Finishers T Shirt, put your name here and please take the time to send an email to Gustav Nefdt at Medicus Shoes (the Merrell SA agents). gustav@medicus.co.za also copy athleteservices@ironmansouthafrica.co.za.

By adding your voice, the message will be clearer.

I have received the following response to my complaint:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your Merrell Finishers shirt at this years Ironman 70.3 event. I am terribly sorry that you are not happy with the quality of the T-shirt you received at this years event, your comments have been noted.

The T shirt received is made from 100% Cotton with a weight of 180gms, which is of a far higher quality than other cotton tee’s which normally weigh in at 140gms to 160gms.

With the upcoming Ironman 10 year finishers shirt, we have used the highest quality, design and fit and we are already working on a new design and fabric for the 2015 Ironman 70.3 event.

Kind Regards

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell Gustav. I did not mince my words:

Dear Merrell

I found this email address off the Merrell South Africa web page. You present no other contact details.

As a finisher is this years race, I am wholly disappointed in the Finishers Shirt presented to me. The shirt is branded as sponsored by Merrell.

The shirt is a T Shirt of the quality used at political rallies.

I am astounded that as a premium performance sports apparel manufacturer, you would put your brand to a T Shirt that is suitable for car washing. And by this I mean polishing the body work, not wearing while washing the car.

You have done your brand a great dis-service by associating with such a poor quality product. Perhaps in research for future events, you should investigate the 5150 Finishers Shirts which are of great quality and which you see at events and gyms long after the event has passed.

Yours faithfully

Would you be able to post a pic of the T-shirt? My girlfriend's T-shirt from last year is of shocking quality as well. The screenprinting or whatever it may be started peeled after the first wash.

Would you be able to post a pic of the T-shirt? My girlfriend's T-shirt from last year is of shocking quality as well. The screenprinting or whatever it may be started peeled after the first wash.

Last years shirt was by KSwiss. The poor quality was well documented here. Probably a reason for the change to Merrell. However, they didn't learn their lesson. This year it is just a R25 T shirt from Jet with single colour printing.

Also another thing to note, is that there were not XSmall T-shirts. My poor GF was so disappointed when she was told they only had ordered 1 box of XSmall T-shirts, let alone have female fit T-shirts.

She can definitely not wear her Small as it looks like a dress.

You would think that at a performance event, where people are generally slimmer than the average Joe, they would accommodate for this!?

I must agree. The finisher shirt from 3 years ago was a decent quality. Still wear my finishers shirt from 2011. Last year was terrible. Washed out after the 1st wash. Lying in the cupboard.

This years shirt was fine after the 1st wash....but the quality is pathetic. 5150 shirts are so much better. Run with mine....but there is no ways that i will run with my 70.3 shirt.

Edited by bigjoe

Also another thing to note, is that there were not XSmall T-shirts. My poor GF was so disappointed when she was told they only had ordered 1 box of XSmall T-shirts, let alone have female fit T-shirts.

She can definitely not wear her Small as it looks like a dress.

You would think that at a performance event, where people are generally slimmer than the average Joe, they would accommodate for this!?

Agree, for the past 2 years they had ladies shirts. this year only mens! My wife ordered her size (M) based on ladies sizes.....and got stuck with a mens large. 5 sizes to big for her!!!

Dear organisers, if you're going to produce cotton t-shirts for an event and you have some pride in your brand then use a Fittees shirt at the very least. Otherwise, follow Nike's example with the RunYourCity events and supply something that people would be proud to run/cycle in and fits the purpose. These baggy one-size-fits-nobody t-shirts only ever get used again for gardening or painting the house.

Edited by Rata Del Spruit

In a similar vein, am I the only one who thinks the new merrel ironman t-shirts available at the expo looked ridiculous?

Since when is "Ironman" written like the coca-cola slogan?

Edited by Bodhi

Dave I find this rant of yours very funny. People may not complain about the Ironman and the changes that have been made however you complain about a silly finishers shirt. I also find it funny how you blame Merrel (yes the T shirt sponsor) but not Ironman for this. Ironman should have learnt their lesson from last year by actually checking the quality of the shirts before going ahead with a new Finishers T shirt sponsor.

I do think by bringing this to Gustavs attention is the right way to go about it however I just do not understand your thought processing as to when someone is entitled to Rant and when they are not entitled to rant.

Did you pay for the shirts?

When you enter they say what is included. And a finishers t-shirt is included. So yes you paid for it.

Did it last year and my printing also came off after the first wash. Can't believe they didn't learn from it...

HAve to be honest, my first impression was the quality of the fabric itself was fine - didn't seem insubstantial for a cotton shirt. I will have to check it at home though - perhaps I am not discerning enough! Obviously you are not going to gym in this kind of shirt though!

Yes the design was less than exciting - but don't think it was a quality issue. The quality test will be whether the screenprinting lasts better than last year's - and so far I don't think anyone has said this is coming off after first wash etc as happened last yr.

I just do not understand your thought processing as to when someone is entitled to Rant and when they are not entitled to rant.

I thought people are entitled to rant if they are dissatisfied or unhappy?

He seems unhappy?

My 70.3 & IM finishers shirts from 2011 are still in use today. Reasonably good quality but have collars!

A plain cotton t-shirt is frankly embarrassing for the amount one spends on entry fees.