Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How will they taste though, what have they been fed?

Chambo and ntsima, national dish of Malawi...deep fried fish and pap

http://trinitycountrystudy.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/8/7/27874649/5963571_orig.jpg

It will taste great as it's in a non-muddy environment being fed with a quality food. So you could expect a fishy taste, not too strong, but still pleasant.

Being freshly harvested for cooking, you'll have the benefit of superdooper fresh fish. With all tillapia it is important to clean it properly as the stomach cavity needs a thorough cleaning (not a lot of work actually) before cooking. Best flavour is derived from cooking the entire fish once cleared of scales, stomach and gills.

Edit: chambo is bream species directly related to tillapia

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Barbell and tilapia apparently aren't high up on the tasty fish roster but them being brought so fresh to the table will make quite a difference. The food they eat affects how they taste, I would imagine the fact they haven't been living near muddy dam banks/floors will help taste wise.

Edit, Ed Zulu beat me to it!

Seems the fish will be tasty, win/win and solar to boot, nice one Pieter1!

Edited by Skylark

Barbell and tilapia apparently aren't high up on the tasty fish roster but them being brought so fresh to the table will make quite a difference. The food they eat affects how they taste, I would imagine the fact they haven't been living near muddy dam banks/floors will help taste wise.

Edit, Ed Zulu beat me to it!

Seems the fish will be tasty, win/win and solar to boot, nice one Pieter1!

Thanks man. My buddy in Nigeria farms with catfish on the side. He feeds them the intestines from the chickens they slaughter on the farm. They live in massive concrete tanks. They have this firm white flesh that is sweetish. Most amazing fish I have ever tasted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started a veggie garden over the road form my house in an open piece of ground.

Have planted seed

Spinnage, cabbage and lettuce.

Im watering it with grey water from my house.

It will be a help yourself garden.

Hopefully domestic workers form the area will work in there on lunch breaks etc.

They will be able to harvest what they want

I have started a veggie garden over the road form my house in an open piece of ground.

Have planted seed

Spinnage, cabbage and lettuce.

Im watering it with grey water from my house.

It will be a help yourself garden.

Hopefully domestic workers form the area will work in there on lunch breaks etc.

They will be able to harvest what they want

Cool idea, would be really great if people do get involved to keep it running.

I will get it up and going and Im more than happy to supply all the seeds.

September going to be planting pumpkin butternut and gems they can run wild. to late to plant now as frost will arrive before the harvest is ready.

I bought a serious load of palette wood of various sizes and I'm going to use this to make a variety of things including a vertical garden for outside a window. There are loads of ideas on google so I'm not short of ideas but curious to hear if anyone has made one and has any pics

I really don't have space for a veggie garden, but I have a window sill or two that gets enough sun this time of year. So, I decided to plant something that will have the biggest impact possible. Chillies! Pretty as well as useful.

post-17716-0-48648000-1456244448_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-19588700-1456244463_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Can someone tell me what these are:post-57045-0-62127300-1458569639_thumb.jpgpost-57045-0-98816500-1458569664_thumb.jpgpost-57045-0-34638400-1458569679_thumb.jpg

Its like a weed that wraps itself aroung a small tree bark or bush amd bears these pods all over the place.

Thanks

Hi All,

Can someone tell me what these are:attachicon.giftmp_9405-20160321_155913195662398.jpgattachicon.giftmp_9405-20160321_1559202048394611.jpgattachicon.giftmp_9405-20160321_1600361890628096.jpg

Its like a weed that wraps itself aroung a small tree bark or bush amd bears these pods all over the place.

Thanks

Not sure what it is called, but it sheds a stinky white sap that I am convinced is poisonous. I eradicate then on sight.

Not sure what it is called, but it sheds a stinky white sap that I am convinced is poisonous. I eradicate then on sight.

That's right, it releases a white sap that I also think is poisonous. I'm sure it's a weed