Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a small vegetable patch and happily discovered that a few butternut plants have taken root - a gift from the compost I suppose.

But there is a problem.

Once the flower dies off and the small vegetable appears  it seems that the baby butternut is infected where the flower dropped, they just turn brown and die.

Any idea what causes this, and how could we remedy?

My butternut does not even make the small veg, just floweres, dies off, then nada.

Edited by Gandalf

My butternut does not even make the small veg, just floweres, dies off, then nada.

3:1:5 Fertilizer i.e. need to up the potassium 

Hi guys,

Complete newbie here!

A few months ago I started with a few veggie seedlings just to experiment (and see if I enjoy tending a veggie garden).

I planted peppers, spinach, strawberries and cherry tomato seedlings directly into the ground. This was end November.

We had water restrictions and a very hot & dry summer, so they suffered a bit. Growth was slow and insects or birds terrorized my veggie patch.

Few weeks ago I decided to transplant what was left (only peppers, strawberries & spinach) into pots, which allowed me to move it into a cooler part of the garden during the hot months, and move it to the stoep when the winter freeze comes, and finally to water it better.

I've used potting soil and compost for the pots. Also bought the fish fertilizer which I'll administer about every 6 weeks.

Here is my biggest spinach plant which is still too small to harvest (I guess)

post-26916-0-54511500-1459939780_thumb.jpg

You'll notice the leaves have some damage - I'm not sure if this is caused by bugs or birds?

Also, you'll see some small tomato seedlings coming up on the sides. This was an experiment to see how easy tomato seeds grow from a slice of fresh tomato (very easy!). I'll transplant them when they're bigger.

And here are my peppers, also too small to harvest

post-26916-0-50270700-1459939761_thumb.jpg

You'll notice similar leave damage.

The strawberry plants are still alive, although not bearing fruit currently (not in season)

A few more questions:

What can I do to accelerate growth further? These plants are almost 5 months old already!

Should the peppers, spinach and strawberries be able to survive the winter?

I also want to plant onion and swiss chard seeds. Is this a good time of the year? 

Any advice appreciated as always!

Edited by P.A.K.

Hi guys,

Complete newbie here!

A few months ago I started with a few veggie seedlings just to experiment (and see if I enjoy tending a veggie garden).

I planted peppers, spinach, strawberries and cherry tomato seedlings directly into the ground. This was end November.

We had water restrictions and a very hot & dry summer, so they suffered a bit. Growth was slow and insects or birds terrorized my veggie patch.

Few weeks ago I decided to transplant what was left (only peppers, strawberries & spinach) into pots, which allowed me to move it into a cooler part of the garden during the hot months, and move it to the stoep when the winter freeze comes, and finally to water it better.

I've used potting soil and compost for the pots. Also bought the fish fertilizer which I'll administer about every 6 weeks.

2016-04-06 12.22.04.jpg

You'll notice the leaves have some damage - I'm not sure if this is caused by bugs or birds?

Also, you'll see some small tomato seedlings coming up on the sides. This was an experiment to see how easy tomato seeds grow from a slice of fresh tomato (very easy!). I'll transplant them when they're bigger.

2016-04-06 12.22.30.jpg

The strawberry plants are still alive, although not bearing fruit currently (not in season)

A few more questions:

What can I do to accelerate growth further? These plants are almost 5 months old already!

I also want to plant onion and swiss chard seeds. Is this a good time of the year?

Hey man! Freakin birds and tomatoes... Give them a dose of Nitrosol once every two weeks. That stuff works quite well. It stinks for a bit tho. Hope it helps.

That's a cool initiative! :thumbup:

absolutely. I actually mailed them asking how i can purchase one  - and stressed that I was not from cape town. they obviously have a standard automated reply because they just sent me that application form

That is a good initiative. I have my own compost heap at home but its not a closed container like that so it would be interesting to see what is more effective. I guess that thing works on a similar concept to a worm farm?

retains heat and moisture better than a open heap, and the the process is sped up somewhat

absolutely. I actually mailed them asking how i can purchase one  - and stressed that I was not from cape town. they obviously have a standard automated reply because they just sent me that application form

I got mine from builders warehouse R799 each

post-38473-0-61739500-1460010371_thumb.jpg

retains heat and moisture better than a open heap, and the the process is sped up somewhat

I got mine from builders warehouse R799 each

attachicon.gifDSC_0326.jpg

Thanks Fanie. Hard to tell from the pictures but how big are they? My heap is 2.5mx2.5m but its hard to tell the capacity as I don't know how deep my "rich" soil goes.

These would also be even more effective because my 2 dogs love digging in my compost heap and they especially love gem squash skin and for some reason avo pips(they don't eat them, just deposit hundreds of little pieces in their beds)

Thanks Fanie. Hard to tell from the pictures but how big are they? My heap is 2.5mx2.5m but its hard to tell the capacity as I don't know how deep my "rich" soil goes.

These would also be even more effective because my 2 dogs love digging in my compost heap and they especially love gem squash skin and for some reason avo pips(they don't eat them, just deposit hundreds of little pieces in their beds)

they are about the same size as a 220l drum.

I struggled at first as the process wouldn't start, only to realise that my garden executive thought it a good idea to compact everything to make space.

I have since added a heap again to assist with drying out some of the compost material (esp. grass cuttings). this is to ensure that I get the moisture balance right and the brown/green ratios.

I have since added a heap again to assist with drying out some of the compost material (esp. grass cuttings). this is to ensure that I get the moisture balance right and the brown/green ratios.

i think ideal would be to have a combination of a composter and a heap...and do some transferring between the two

Hi guys,

Complete newbie here!

attachicon.gif2016-04-06 12.22.04.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-04-06 12.22.30.jpg

A few more questions:

Swiss chard can handle frost