Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

I guy gave me two bags of Pigeon Poo this morning. If I randomly sprinkle in my vegetable garden, will it burn my seedlings? Should I take any precautions?

Peppers are about 10cm high and tomatoes about 40cm high.

Lettuce are still small and herb seed and cucumbers have just broken through the soil.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

With the wetter weather my garden is taking strain with all the snails

The beer drowning tub does not work (and it's a waste of beer)

Copper wire idea seems to work but covering about 100m is not cheap.

Snailban works but not ideal as it will cause a possible decline in natural predators.

Can anyone recommend some tried and tested ideas which work. I just need to get the current boom in population under control (especially before I plant out my seedlings)

Google Diatomaceous earth. There is lots of info on this topic.

With the wetter weather my garden is taking strain with all the snails

The beer drowning tub does not work (and it's a waste of beer)

Copper wire idea seems to work but covering about 100m is not cheap.

Snailban works but not ideal as it will cause a possible decline in natural predators.

Can anyone recommend some tried and tested ideas which work. I just need to get the current boom in population under control (especially before I plant out my seedlings)

Sprinkle coarse salt around your beds

Sprinkle coarse salt around your beds

Won't work. It'll dissolve daily due to ocean mist/due we get at night

I guy gave me two bags of Pigeon Poo this morning. If I randomly sprinkle in my vegetable garden, will it burn my seedlings? Should I take any precautions?

Peppers are about 10cm high and tomatoes about 40cm high.

Lettuce are still small and herb seed and cucumbers have just broken through the soil.

Vettes, duifpoef is nie so suur soos hoenderpoef nie, maar dit sal beter wees om dit eerder eers apart te meng met 'n bietjie grond uit jou tuin, ek sou sê 1:5 en dan in die beddings in te werk.

Vettes, duifpoef is nie so suur soos hoenderpoef nie, maar dit sal beter wees om dit eerder eers apart te meng met 'n bietjie grond uit jou tuin, ek sou sê 1:5 en dan in die beddings in te werk.

Fanks Pel

Tthis weekend while thinking about buying some planting boxes we spotted these two porcelain sinks we have had in the bottom corner of the yard for the past couple of years and decided to put them to good use. So...we have planted rocket, mustard lettuce, chives and a few carrots (as a test) in them...behind then butternut and beans and in the middle of that thing in the middle some tomatoes to climb

post-7169-0-26533600-1443424260_thumb.jpg

experimenting with potatoes in a bag.

three tubers planted in a 25kg feedbag with about 20cm of soil on top.

Found the tubers in my compost heap after they were discarded there because they were going off.

CQJA6EFUkAAT04u.jpg

gotcha.

this little bugger has been tunneling away in my planting beds, to the extent that most of the seedlings I planted has fallen over and died.

Watering the garden this morning I saw him pushing a tunnel, called the Jack Russel and the rest is history.

CQsaV7NXAAAy26o.jpgCQsaXljWEAAAsv7.jpg

gotcha.

this little bugger has been tunneling away in my planting beds, to the extent that most of the seedlings I planted has fallen over and died.

Watering the garden this morning I saw him pushing a tunnel, called the Jack Russel and the rest is history.

CQsaV7NXAAAy26o.jpgCQsaXljWEAAAsv7.jpg

The JR showed that pesky rodent who is boss!

everything is starting to look great. just waiting for my copper soap and bioneem to prep for the whitefly, mildew and pumpkin beetle onslaught which should start any day now.

Snail population seems to be under control for now as the frogs started to pop up after our last bit of rain.

Marrows
post-38473-0-97969900-1444286155_thumb.jpg

Potatoes in a bag
post-38473-0-06003300-1444286161_thumb.jpg

Strawberries. Box made of old pallet planks with some copper wire around the edge to keep the snails out.
post-38473-0-16668600-1444286166_thumb.jpg

My little salad garden is coming along nicely.

Tomatoes

Lettuce

Yellow peppers

cucumbers

And a mixture of herbs

attachicon.gif20151008_064545.jpg

boorgat?

I thought bloem had water restrictions....  :ph34r: 

when your tomato gets bigger the "clever" people say don't get the leaves wet