First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Everyone. Please stop hating and fearing. Please nominate the people you think will represent you best, or put yourself forward.

I only know a handful of people and on that basis can only vote or nominate them. Would be nice to meet all involved, hear their opinions, views and plans on the matter. I'm not scared of change, but it should be for the better.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I built some of the illegal trails, so dont nomimate me for anything please.

If Jordan Belfort can do motivational speaking, I'm sure you could be on board...

............................Nominations for elected positions can be sent to info@amarider.co.za. The closing date for nominations is 5 p.m. on 17 February 2014

The nomination form should include:

Committee Position:

Nominated person:

Email:

Phone:

Nominated by:

Email:

Phone:

Thanks for this most useful information :thumbup:

Hi, Rika,

What would the process be for proxies, if you cannot attend? There are numerous guys that have emerged this morning who I would gladly have vote on my behalf...

(probably cos they were all out on their bikes on the weekend.... :ph34r: )

Hi Thor. Sorry to say I don't know, but Deon has the posted the constitution somewhere - it should be on there. Failing that try asking at info@amarider.co.za

Covered in quite a few posts already - I for one would want a professional to do the initial work and layout, volunteers to do maintenance and general upkeep. Yes that costs money, but if the will is there we can get the funds. I will personally contribute and work at fundraising along with all other interested parties.

@ Rika - this was actually the plan once the EMP had been finalised. The snake being open as they are now was an interim measure until the burn and the emp had been conducted...

Guest Omega Man

Frankly, I'd like to see a debate from the incumbent chairs to discuss this so i can make an informed vote. All this call for change without so much as a whiff of a strategy to resolve the real problem doesn't generate much confidence that change is actually required. At least change on the level of the volunteer and sanparks liaison groups.

I think that's a great idea. It also needs to be achievable and realistic of course. Someone could easily pull in with pictures of Whistler and promise to build that but we all know that's not gonna happen.

Also maybe a CV of sorts from the incumbents. I've raced here. I ridden there. I can do this I have done that. etc etc.

Guest Omega Man

So you gonna bring some pics from France then...

I doubt I'll be nominated fella. Too much of a poo stirrer me.

Thanks for this most useful information :thumbup:

It's in the OP, I just copied and pasted. It seems this was actually started as a thread to inform :whistling:

Internet humour alert, please don't burn me with fire.

Who on thehub would like to be on said committee and make a difference?

Serriasly!

or

Who would you have on your list?

(and why?)

and

Who would be available?

Edited by porqui

Covered in quite a few posts already - I for one would want a professional to do the initial work and layout, volunteers to do maintenance and general upkeep. Yes that costs money, but if the will is there we can get the funds. I will personally contribute and work at fundraising along with all other interested parties.

@ Rika - this was actually the plan once the EMP had been finalised. The snake being open as they are now was an interim measure until the burn and the emp had been conducted...

Just to clarify some more:

It would be stupid or impossible to get funding and build trails before the EMP has been finalized for the very simple reason that there is no guarantee, until then, that the trails will be allowed long term. Why would a sponsor be willing to pump big money into a build and next year it is all closed permanently because there is a critically endangered plant growing in a little patch of wetland that re-established itself after the removal of the pines. See, it is not a good idea to go about arse first when you have to work in a national park.

The snake trails were re-opened after logging as an interim measure under a "maintenance" clause. It had to follow the old lines more or less and had to fit in without major alterations of the slope. In my opinion, that was achieved and improved the old snake trails in the process. It doesn't make them the final or perfect end result though. That will have to wait for the EMP to be completed. New builders / old builders / volunteers, all will have to work within these restrictions. If not, they will never succeed in Tokai because, rightly, SANParks is the custodian of the mountain and they are always going to have the final say on what is acceptable from a conservation point of view. That will rightly trump everything else, including trails. Therefore, it is critical to work with SANParks. They have shown their commitment already and they understand the value of Tokai, to themselves, to riders and to greater Cape Town.

Just to clarify some more:

It would be stupid or impossible to get funding and build trails before the EMP has been finalized for the very simple reason that there is no guarantee, until then, that the trails will be allowed long term. Why would a sponsor be willing to pump big money into a build and next year it is all closed permanently because there is a critically endangered plant growing in a little patch of wetland that re-established itself after the removal of the pines. See, it is not a good idea to go about arse first when you have to work in a national park.

The snake trails were re-opened after logging as an interim measure under a "maintenance" clause. It had to follow the old lines more or less and had to fit in without major alterations of the slope. In my opinion, that was achieved and improved the old snake trails in the process. It doesn't make them the final or perfect end result though. That will have to wait for the EMP to be completed. New builders / old builders / volunteers, all will have to work within these restrictions. If not, they will never succeed in Tokai because, rightly, SANParks is the custodian of the mountain and they are always going to have the final say on what is acceptable from a conservation point of view. That will rightly trump everything else, including trails. Therefore, it is critical to work with SANParks. They have shown their commitment already and they understand the value of Tokai, to themselves, to riders and to greater Cape Town.

My abiding memory of the old Snake trails was the Epic prologue a few years ago when a whole bunch of riders went arse over kettle on the one right hand corner which was quite nasty. That was when it was under cover and not exposed to the elements as now. Sometimes our memories are very selective.

The old snake trails had trees, which makes a MASSIVE difference to how it looks and how long it lasts. If the illegal trails were not covered by trees they would be terrible by now.

The old snake trails had trees, which makes a MASSIVE difference to how it looks and how long it lasts. If the illegal trails were not covered by trees they would be terrible by now.

its also the trees that make the rides so enjoyable. nothing like whizzing along a whisker away from your end. thrilling stuff.