First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

I just want to add that I probably ride TK twice a year as I just feel for R45 (and not including the drive to TK) my money and time is far better spent on riding the Tygerberg trails or trekking to Jonkers.

R45 to ride the trails ..... and then they give very little back to the cycling community and give the trail builders such a hard time to get anything done .... come on SANPARKs.

erm, it's the people most concerned about the well being of the trails that are giving the trailbuilders the hardest time.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The EMP process ,until the final document is signed off by San Parks and the TMMTB Forum ,is a process we are very close to getting a time line on.

Please remember, the EMP for MTB is a broad document, governing the whole of TMNP.

The "Rationalsation Process" currently being spoken about in Tokai, has nothing to do with the EMP process.

The RP is a Tokai-specific programme or project and will be governed by processes (brief ,budget allocation, tender process, approval, appointment of consultants, findings...my basic description of the process) within San Parks.

We ,as concerned mountain bikers, or the TMMTB Forum, can only "urge" San Parks to speed up this process and get their consultants appointed and begin with the work on the ground. We honestly can do no more than ask, and prod and cajole and beg & plead. We have no control over the internal San Parks process. Please, understand that.

Judging by what we heard at our meeting yesterday, the EMP can be in place this year.

The Rationalisation Process: No Idea.

Whoever gets voted in at the AGM will inherit the status quo and should be under no false illusions that they will be able to change the San Parks time line for the RP.

Deon has developed the relationships and the thick skin required to deal with an animal like San Parks.

I know I am going to get some flack for saying this , but the conditions of the trails are almost secondary in this scenario.

We need to fight the fight in the San Parks offices to be able to slap on the sunscreen and grab the spade to build a world class trail.

I have been busying myself on the other side of the mountain for 2 years and would have hoped to have achieved more at this point. But, having gotten to know the Beast from the inside, I think I have done pretty well considering.

In the 3 years that Deon has been active in Tokai, I think he has achieved more than meets the eye. He has built a sound foundation for you guys to be move forward from. In the world that San Parks live in, 3 years is like a year to us. it's not bad going.

If anything has been lacking in previous years, it has been the regular and detailed communication about the work being done on the ground and around the table with San Parks. If the broader MTB community had been better informed, I believe that the current impasse could have been avoided and possibly more progress been made.

I know that guys more closely involved in Tokai were kept up to speed, but I think the information should have been spread further, via the PPA website, for instance.The Hub is another communication channel, but still a bit insular.

As a member of the PPA Excecutive, I would like to ensure that there is a monthly Tokai update on the PPA website and I am sure Meurant will do the same on the Amarider site. Then nobody can say. "I didn't know".

Edited by kandui

Hairy

As far as I'm aware there is a temporary break in the maintenance until the AGM. Agreed to by Meurant, who I think at the moment has the highest authority in this in his capacity at AMA. It's a few weeks only, if the paid labour is having a hard time in the interim I am sure we can all pitch in to help out either with cash or groceries.

Where can I send them?

+1

I just want to add that I probably ride TK twice a year as I just feel for R45 (and not including the drive to TK) my money and time is far better spent on riding the Tygerberg trails or trekking to Jonkers.

R45 to ride the trails ..... and then they give very little back to the cycling community and give the trail builders such a hard time to get anything done .... come on SANPARKs.

I hear ya Hairy. In your position I'd probably do the same. Coming from your side is a R 100 journey before you even pay for entry, so you need to do some seriaaaaas thinking before you come through.

As for the entry price & allocations to us, we're fighting that battle all the time. Discussions are coming up (correct me if I'm wrong, Deon) but the likelihood of us getting any large portion of that entry fee (daily or annual) is not that great.

But that's a whole different argument.

Let's al pause for a moment. Maybe give it till tomorrow before posting again as this thread is now actually getting worse in what seems to have been prophesied by Duane.

Hashing and re-hashing is going to get us no where. Countless threads on Shimano vs SRAM to proof that.

Let's al pause for a moment. Maybe give it till tomorrow before posting again as this thread is now actually getting worse in what seems to have been prophesied by Duane.

Hashing and re-hashing is going to get us no where. Countless threads on Shimano vs SRAM to proof that.

Cool! I am out......

Here is some crap.

post-13110-0-97377400-1391509467_thumb.jpg

post-13110-0-56690700-1391509595_thumb.jpg

Before

post-13110-0-45332200-1391509681_thumb.jpg

After: haphazard job to stem erosion not fitting conservation req's. Unskilled labour at work, certainly not neat.

post-13110-0-61921700-1391509755_thumb.jpg

The EMP process ,until the final document is signed off by San Parks and the TMMTB Forum ,is a process we are very close to getting a time line on.

Please remember, the EMP for MTB is a broad document, governing the whole of TMNP.

The "Rationalsation Process" currently being spoken about in Tokai, has nothing to do with the EMP process.

The RP is a Tokai-specific programme or project and will be governed by processes (brief ,budget allocation, tender process, approval, appointment of consultants, findings...my basic description of the process) within San Parks.

We ,as concerned mountain bikers, or the TMMTB Forum, can only "urge" San Parks to speed up this process and get their consultants appointed and begin with the work on the ground. We honestly can do no more than ask, and prod and cajole and beg & plead. We have no control over the internal San Parks process. Please, understand that.

Judging by what we heard at our meeting yesterday, the EMP can be in place this year.

The Rationalisation Process: No Idea.

Whoever gets voted in at the AGM will inherit the status quo and should be under no false illusions that they will be able to change the San Parks time line for the RP.

Deon has developed the relationships and the thick skin required to deal with an animal like San Parks.

I know I am going to get some flack for saying this , but the conditions of the trails are almost secondary in this scenario.

We need to fight the fight in the San Parks offices to be able to slap on the sunscreen and grab the spade to build a world class trail.

I have been busying myself on the other side of the mountain for 2 years and would have hoped to have achieved more at this point. But, having gotten to know the Beast from the inside, I think I have done pretty well considering.

In the 3 years that Deon has been active in Tokai, I think he has achieved more than meets the eye. He has built a sound foundation for you guys to be move forward from. In the world that San Parks live in, 3 years is like a year to us. it's not bad going.

If anything has been lacking in previous years, it has been the regular and detailed communication about the work being done on the ground and around the table with San Parks. If the broader MTB community had been better informed, I believe that the current impasse could have been avoided and possibly more progress been made.

I know that guys more closely involved in Tokai were kept up to speed, but I think the information should have been spread further, via the PPA website, for instance.

As a member of the PPA Excecutive, I would like to ensure that there is a monthly Tokai update on the PPA website and I am sure Meurant will do the same on the Amarider site Then nobody can say. "I didn't know".

I agree with the bold

Who called the moratorium on maintenance on the existing trails? Surely these guys could be working on vasbyt or somethinh while we wait for the AGM

Who called the moratorium on maintenance on the existing trails? Surely these guys could be working on vasbyt or somethinh while we wait for the AGM

Meurant

Guest OldFlow

WTF?

And you get upset at my use of the word "crap"......

snip...

...... In the world that San Parks live in, 3 years is like a year to us. it's not bad going.

snip

as an outsider looking in...and having dealt with SANPARKS on a contract (still not completed after 6 years!!)...all I can say is good luck...hope your children will be able to start building trails...IT TAKES THAT LONG TO FINLIZE DEALS WITH SANPARKS!!! people leave / move and proceses needs to start all over again!!

good luck...

So does Meurant have the ultimate say in what happens in tokai?Is this because amarider is the official trail maintenance company? And whats stopping me or anyone else from coming in and doing trail building. Not that I would but how does it work? Who put amarider in charge. Who else could be doing it? Can my company put in a tender for the maintenance ?

Must admit that decision doesnt make sense to me, surely something getting done is better than nothing.