[Event] Medallion Tour De Stellenbosch

DMC007

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are all machines. Us novices at the back (W) only got away at 7h15 - and keeping in mind that Novice = Blerrie stadig - we were DYING back there. We stopped at every water stop and bought coke at the now famous Perdeberg Mall! It saved our lives!! Sadly we got to 80km and they told us the race (I use this word lightly) was over. People were dropping like flies. We pushed on till 90 (the final water point) where we had to accept defeat. By then we had been at it for over 4 hours and the one guys thermometer was registering 44!

My worst tho was that once we had finally arranged a lift out and were heading home they had pulled the marshals off and there was a guy who had missed the turn off at the last 4 way before the final water point and was thinking he was on the right road home! We turned back to give him the news and desperately needed water. I keep wondering where he would be now if no one had stopped him. I can't understand how the marshals and sweepers missed him.

very easy to have missed him when I drove back to pick up a friend along the route, we saw plenty of riders sitting under trees a good couple of meters away from the tar road. I only noticed them cause I was specifically looking in that direction, looking out for my mate.

I was in the H-I bunch.

Started at the back of the group as I have an I group number, the pedal power queue were to long to get my new "G" number.

Was playing catching up from the start as our combined group were 112 people big according to racetec and I think I started at least a minute later than the first H riders.

Although I went hard from the start I did not make it to the small group of 8 H riders who crested helshoogte first and formed a break-away and I could not bridge the gap. A big group H-I riders caught me at the railway crossing.

There was a crash after 57km, just after turning from the R304.

We were going at 24km/h against a head-wind at the stage.

Missed the falling riders in front of me just just.

I think all of the riders managed to bridge the gap after the crash.

At the 90km mark the group seemed somewhat small (20-30 riders) so the rollers must have taken its toll.

Myself and a few riders stopped at the 90km water point and a 4man group formed after I started again.

The last 10km was extremely tough for me, from the point where we joined the short course group.

Overall I am quite happy with the race, think my body was nicely pushed to the limit.

I was probably in your group then. I was also at the back of the massive start group and just couldnt get to the leading pack on the climb because we started too far back.

I bucketed down hels and caught a group of about 8 H riders but then dropped off again as they hit the rollers. It took me forever to warm up. No cycling the last week because I was sick made me feel very slow for the first hour.

Were you in the A-C bunch? I was chilling at the back of the bunch going down Helshoogte when you got spat out, and it looked like the wobbles were so big that you were taking up both lanes. Well done for keeping it upright.

Sorry about closing you down, but I was more interested in the two guys ahead of you ;)

While I don't mind sitting on the front, a couple of times I would pull over, and no one would come through. I'd take a look back assuming I'd been an ass again and ridden off the front only to see 15 riders pretending to be invisible, blown, or both. But as Tiny K says - amazing how they all popped out for the sprint for 53rd place.

Craig's pedal fell off going up Helshoogte (which if you know Craig, isn't that surprising). I was the remaining HotChillee rider in the bunch, while he chased to get back on. Almost made it at the Voor Paardeberg turn, but the wind put paid to those plans.

aaah right, I now remember the DC race report.

Don't think anybody can complain about lack of Cold Water and Ice at the waterpoints. I filled two bottles up to the brim with water and ice at the last two waterpoints. to the people manning those waterpoints, they were busy and very friendly / helpfull.

The finish area, well that was another story. First you had to cycle what felt like a kilometre from where the line was to the mats, and then definately another kay or so to get to the Coke table. There was only coke on the table, and you were only allowed on cup of warm coke.

This did not bother me too much,as I still had cold water left in my Camelbak bottle from the Simondium water table, but I did voice my displeasure about it. The attitude of the one guy who poured the hot coke also stank!! :cursing:

Can only feel for the peeps who finished later in the day.

We came in with the E-G riders of the long route. Did not even bother to stand in the 20 minute line for a warm coke. My wife had some ice cold beverages waiting and we went straight to the car to go get some sustenance elsewhere. Now if there was something else but bread rolls with mushrooms on it (they called it a mushroom "burger") I would have loved to hang around and chat to fellow riders. Problem is that there is no consistency at the events with regards to amenities that they offer afterwards. One would think that an astute Spur Franchisee would jump at the opportunity to be present at every event, or is it perhaps just too difficult to deal with the PPA?

We came in with the E-G riders of the long route. Did not even bother to stand in the 20 minute line for a warm coke. My wife had some ice cold beverages waiting and we went straight to the car to go get some sustenance elsewhere. Now if there was something else but bread rolls with mushrooms on it (they called it a mushroom "burger") I would have loved to hang around and chat to fellow riders. Problem is that there is no consistency at the events with regards to amenities that they offer afterwards. One would think that an astute Spur Franchisee would jump at the opportunity to be present at every event, or is it perhaps just too difficult to deal with the PPA?

Thanks. Now I am feeling hungry..... talk of burgers. :cursing:

I don't understand all the complaining of wheel sucking, if you are strong enough to be pacing for 90% of the route then trust me you are strong enough to drop those wheel suckers, ride away from them, just do it!

Edited by milky4130

I don't understand all the complaining of wheel sucking, if you are strong enough to being pacing for 90% of the route then trust me you are strong enough to drop those wheel suckers, ride away from them, just do it!

They get very strong when you accelerate or sprint and get tired very quickly when in front.

Vitamin B Complex is a combo of 12 B Vitamins. I checked each individually and none came up as prohibited on WADA or SA Drug Free Sport.

i checked as well, have the SAIDS app/link on my iPhone & nothing showed up, unless it's under some other pharmaceutical name.

Injections are illegal, not the actual vitamin B.

In any case, it hasn't been proven to actually work over and above eating vitamin B.

Totally mortified by my Racetech Results - I just hope that a fair amount of people never clocked past the finish - otherwise i need to go back to the drawing board.

I struggled......flippen hot race day! We (the back newbies) started at 7 and it was already hot!!! I don't know how you ride so fast.....hat off to you! Anyways.....Thank goodness for the farmer who had his sprinkler system on around 60km.......we sneaked in for a full body and clothes and shoe shower)!!!!

Why were there so few female riders? 96? I finished my 5th ever race under 5 hours so......not quick, but i did it ! My riding partner and trainer did a good job training me!

Well done to everyone who finished this helova race! Let's hope the ARGUS sees better weather conditions!

Guest Frail4Life

Here is my report.

I started in "D-E", 83 riders.

Well i must have missed the maths class, because my camara only counts as far as Ten!

Weather was ok, i stopped once about half way to top up my water.

Upset that i was caught at the Back of the bunch when the real break was made after Fruitsellers 4 way.

Guest Frail4Life

post-2217-0-38756000-1392686299_thumb.jpg

post-2217-0-28168600-1392686316_thumb.jpg

Note

Check the small bunch that fell back over the first few kms

Edited by F_R_A_I_L