[Event] Medallion Tour De Stellenbosch

DMC007

We were in the 3rd group - Avalanche Tandem. What was your time? Saw quite a few tandems on the road today.

Ja, PLENTY of tandems, especially the long route. We did 1:49, which I'm happy with. Shame, my wife was starting to feel 'emotional' in the last couple of km. Please tell me why your arse get so fubarred on a tandem?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was convinced this was going to be my 1st League race finishing with the Cat 2 bunch after going over Hels with the group and seeing people get blown out the back. Confidence was high until you and your team mate put everyone in the gutter at about 50km/h and ended my dream and turned it into a nightmare with another 30 riders or so. Whatever happened there was spectacular, the group I was in to the finish were joking how quickly our race was over.

How did you finish?

Sorry about that! it was a bit more than 50.

post-3168-0-70441400-1392559248_thumb.png

I think I was around 8,9 or 10th in the end.

Sorry about that! it was a bit more than 50.

post-3168-0-70441400-1392559248_thumb.png

I think I was around 8,9 or 10th in the end.

Well now I dont feel so bad then, I dont even do that speed down a hill never mind on the flats. Well done the 2 of you really made the deciding factor during the race with that move.

Ja, PLENTY of tandems, especially the long route. We did 1:49, which I'm happy with. Shame, my wife was starting to feel 'emotional' in the last couple of km. Please tell me why your arse get so fubarred on a tandem?

Well done. We did a 2:30. Stopped with a dropped chain and helped one of the Songo kids who didn't have a multitool. We took it relatively easy over HH and maintained a good speed over the rollers. We used the rollers to stand and freewheel rather than trying to get more speed out of the bike. Standing and pedaling takes a bit more coordination (up in 3 seconds and pedal for 10 seconds is our formula).

I hit my fastest speed this morning down hels. Was getting back to the group... Hit 84.6

Any other high speeds down there today?

85 for me. Must be my max ever.

Cadel Evans, in an interview, mentioned how he got to 120 km/h in a race once. Yoh!

Edited by ' Dale

Rowwe day out for team DJR. My 13 year old rode like a star, but my 15 year old struggled and cramped from about 90 km. I think too much school sports this week and not enough rest? The heat was seriously hectic from 11h00. Well, we lived to fight another day. :thumbup:

Cadel Evans, in an interview, mentioned how he got to 120 km/h in a race once. Yoh!

I hit 92 down the steep side of Oukaapse in an argus one year. Lets put this in perspective; I'm 1.6m tall and only weighed about 64kgs on an old Bridgestone RB2; but I was firmly tucked-in behind a tandem. It was the stupidity of youth :blush:

What I didn't understand was how the "500m to go sign" ended at the league finish where the about2time set up was (it was actually pretty much 500m) yet the Racetec mats were almost a kilometer further?

Doesn't bother me as I am doing league, but hoping anybody solely relying on Racetec didn't have their official time ruined.

My max was just over 86 going down Vissershok :D

Have only just recovered from heat exhaustion which hit when I got home - cold shivers, throwing up and stomach cramps. Blaming poor nutrition on the bike and have learnt my lesson for Argus. Thought there should have been an additional water point before the one in suid-agter paarl road.

Thanks to the dude with the deep set rims who stopped to help me pump my rear tyre somewhere in Wellington :)

Anyone know how the total ascent differs between this race and Argus?

Today was the first time in a long time I have really hurt on the bike. Went with the A bunch break and was feeling good until ran out of water in the heat at 90km. Then proceeded to bonk/hit the wall/ see stars and chunder. Once I had stopped at the remaining water stops I cruised to the end slip streaming any passing mtb from the short route.

Thanks to all that asked if I was ok. I lied and said I was :P But unless you were going to pull me to the end there was nothing to be done.

Time to work on drinking less fluids... :P

Time to work on drinking less fluids... :P

Also don't think the 60km of climbing around cape town and lbl crit helped the day before either!

Edited by skistar15

Have only just recovered from heat exhaustion which hit when I got home - cold shivers, throwing up and stomach cramps. Blaming poor nutrition on the bike and have learnt my lesson for Argus. Thought there should have been an additional water point before the one in suid-agter paarl road.

Thanks to the dude with the deep set rims who stopped to help me pump my rear tyre somewhere in Wellington :)

Anyone know how the total ascent differs between this race and Argus?

I think it's pretty similar... Around 1100m but the difference is that the majority of the Argus ascent is towards the last third of the race ( Chappies and Suikerbossie)