Hydration pack, bottom belt

udxcob

I have never ridden with a hydration backpack but will probably need to for the J2c, my pack has bottom straps that go around the belly but to me feel very uncomfortable.

Do you guys ride with these straps of would it be better to cut them off?

Would be interesting to hear the comments

Cutting them off will result in the bag creeping up towards your helmet on the technical downhill sections. Practise riding with it in the mean time to get a comfortable feeling with the belly strap, even if it's loose IMHO..

Will you be carrying it for hydration or tools and spares? How close together are the water points?

Edited by Tumbleweed

Over anything rocky or pointing downhill, an unsecured pack will flap about like an auntie's jaw. Tuck the straps away for a few rides and if you're ok with the flappiness you can make the mod permanent.

No ways I'd be able to ride without all the straps.

Over anything rocky or pointing downhill, an unsecured pack will flap about like an auntie's jaw. Tuck the straps away for a few rides and if you're ok with the flappiness you can make the mod permanent.

No ways I'd be able to ride without all the straps.

You go girl...

I always ride without straps, never had a problem. I usually carry tools and water and it's fine. Personal preference I suppose.

My Camelbak came with straps. They are still lying in the bottom of my gear bag.... Never used them and had no problems to date. My pack doesn't flap around. The Camelbaks have a chest strap that generally keeps things in place.

I rode 1st stage of the Quest with and Ospray which has hip/waist straps. Halfway through my shoulders were so cramped up in pain I could hardly ride. I tightened the waist strap and loosened the shoulder straps so the backpack hung on my hips instead of my shoulders. it worked like a charm with all the weight sitting on my hips instead of my shoulders.

so on long stages where 2 bottles are not going to be enough or the in extreme heat where you will need the extra hydration I would say definitely use the hip straps it really makes a huge difference

My Camelbak came with straps. They are still lying in the bottom of my gear bag.... Never used them and had no problems to date. My pack doesn't flap around. The Camelbaks have a chest strap that generally keeps things in place.

I can vouch for this!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

DON'T cut anything...fold nicely away and cable tie...that way the value of your Hydration pack is not deminnished.

I only use the shoulder strap...and must say...being a Camelbak MULE...it sits so comfy...you dont even realise it is there!! REMEMBER IT NEEDS TO SIT HIGH UP BETWEEN THE SHOULDER BLADES...not SAG DOWN AND PUT PRESSURE ELSEWHERE. It's NOT a hiking backpack...

A correct fit and it will be comfy, trust me...(no idea waht these other blokes refer to as carrying a midget on your back...)

Edited by Cassie

just watch out that the flapping straps do not get tangled in the rear wheel.think horse bridle.first hand experience.roll them up and cable tie.