Dear Joggers

D Vader

If you are running into oncoming traffic and there is a cyclist approaching, please move onto the pavement.

Its the right thing to do.

It may be safer for you to run into oncoming traffic, but it is very much more dangerous for the cyclist, who only has that narrow margin and cannot see behind themselves, so seeing as the law requires the cyclist to use the road and the pedestrian to use the sidewalk, please move over. This may sound like a very obvious point to make, but I seem to come across a lot of militant joggers who think otherwise. The cyclist is going to get caught by traffic from behind and jumping a sidewalk verge sideways is very risky.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jissie. We were cycling down Chappies toward Hout Bay Sunday morning, and there's this part with an approx 3m shoulder in the striped yellow line. So I was just on the inside of the line, and this vet jogger tannie is throwing all kinds of hand signals and moving her lips with a "warrra warrra warrra" for me to get out of the yellow line... jeeez, so angry on a Sunday morning she was.

Herewith the law ..... as some one that does both activities

2) A pedestrian on a public road which has no sidewalk or footpath abutting on the roadway, shall walk as near as is practicable to the edge of the roadway on his or her right-hand side so as to face oncoming traffic on such roadway, except where the presence of pedestrians on the roadway is prohibited by a prescribed road traffic sign. - See more at: http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.aspx?nc=Educational#part1_21

If you are running into oncoming traffic and there is a cyclist approaching, please move onto the pavement.

Its the right thing to do.

It may be safer for you to run into oncoming traffic, but it is very much more dangerous for the cyclist, who only has that narrow margin and cannot see behind themselves, so seeing as the law requires the cyclist to use the road and the pedestrian to use the sidewalk, please move over. This may sound like a very obvious point to make, but I seem to come across a lot of militant joggers who think otherwise. The cyclist is going to get caught by traffic from behind and jumping a sidewalk verge sideways is very risky.

So the runner should change sides? Wouldn't that apply equally

There was a perfectly wide, smooth , open sidewalk available.

It is much harder for a cyclist to hop sideways with a big pavement verge than it is for the pedestrian to step sideways, also they can see the oncoming traffic and the cyclist cannot see behind themselves.

The fact that I need to explain the problem is weird.

I also run and I can do this easily.

The cyclist is in the most compromised position, the runner has the most options available to keep both parties safe.

If I ride on the sidewalk, I am in their terrain and thus stop or move out of the way.

Dear jogger get the f*** out the way or u may end up getting a PK!

Jy is effens agro, los bietjie die roids....

I run as well as bike,

Rule of thumb with running is you run facing oncoming traffic.

If a car/cyclist/idiot on a bike with a k*k attude approaches, you just hop onto the curb. Cyclist can't see behind them so you just make some space.

Live and let live and lets all sing Cumbajaa...

I find that cyclists on Chappies are generally very well behaved with the obvious exception of newbie mtb-riding ex-golfers who have to talk very loudly so we can all be impressed at their low level commercial acumen.

Runners tend not to use the verge where it is available and will often run in the centre of the lane. In groups, they often run 5 of 6 abreast. I have had two close calls where a runner has cut across the apex of a bend on a blind corner - if I were a car they would have been dead or at least severely injured.

I tend to disregard people who do not comply with the law or common sense and say nothing, but I am always bemused by their aggressive and confrontional attitude.

There was a perfectly wide, smooth , open sidewalk available.

It is much harder for a cyclist to hop sideways with a big pavement verge than it is for the pedestrian to step sideways, also they can see the oncoming traffic and the cyclist cannot see behind themselves.

The fact that I need to explain the problem is weird.

I also run and I can do this easily.

The cyclist is in the most compromised position, the runner has the most options available to keep both parties safe.

If I ride on the sidewalk, I am in their terrain and thus stop or move out of the way.

Firstly you never stated that - you made a general statement. You also said its the law for the pedestrian to use the pavement and cyclist to use the road. Both are not true.

What is weird is you do not see it from both sides of the coin. You expect motorist to not have the attitude of 'the road is mine' but don't offer the same courtesy to others road users?