Cycle Lab settles the wheel size debate once and for all

Rata Del Spruit

Again, i think the message you are sending out to knowledgeble cyclists by your response is that your saleeople lack even the knowledge to point out the misleading "information" on your signage.

I walked into the Lab 3 weeks ago and asked for a bottle of Stans. He walked to a rack of bottles and cages, and asked me if I liked any of the "waterbottle stands" on the rack. Eddy may have a point here.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that, A really good point - guess I will never know until I try them out :thumbup:

Hi Nige

We really love this fantastic copy which is clearly better than our version and adds a lot more intricacy to the explanation. We would like to (with your permission) remove our sign and replace it with your copy. We would also like to send you a R500 gift voucher for helping us create a better information board.

Please DM me your details and I will send your voucher along and thanks again.

Kind Regards

Ok, so I'm new to this, rode lots when things were simple, but catching up fast...

I like the copy, but I don't think it does the bikes justice. By telling people that the 29'er is the most sought after size is not how I would like to be informed.

When I was trying to figure this stuff out I was lucky enough to find an online write-up that was very informative and incredibly well layed out.

It explained everything from roll angle to cornering and what they are good at.

I bought a 650b, I wanted the performance, and was prepared to forfit some 29'er roll benefits. The 26'er is not for me.

Anyway. MHO

In the words of the great Johan Stemmet from Nooit vir Nooit

" Daarsy Nige, a R500'tjies vir jou in jou ABSA Spaar Rekening geborg deur MoreCycle"

BWAHAHAHa :w00t:

This was gonna be a "pop corn" thread from the word go...........but let's give CL at least some credit for trying. What ever the intentions are they tried.....the debate will go on for a long time still.

Hi Nige

We really love this fantastic copy which is clearly better than our version and adds a lot more intricacy to the explanation. We would like to (with your permission) remove our sign and replace it with your copy. We would also like to send you a R500 gift voucher for helping us create a better information board.

Please DM me your details and I will send your voucher along and thanks again.

Kind Regards

Yeah thats perfect - please use it ... The more knowledge we can impart onto the newer riders the better. Post a pic of the new sign on here when its done. :thumbup:

Ok, so I'm new to this, rode lots when things were simple, but catching up fast...

I like the copy, but I don't think it does the bikes justice. By telling people that the 29'er is the most sought after size is not how I would like to be informed.

When I was trying to figure this stuff out I was lucky enough to find an online write-up that was very informative and incredibly well layed out.

It explained everything from roll angle to cornering and what they are good at.

I bought a 650b, I wanted the performance, and was prepared to forfit some 29'er roll benefits. The 26'er is not for me.

Anyway. MHO

I totally agree with you that there are a number of articles available on the web that delve into the benefits and faults of each wheelsize, however you cant put all this information onto a billboard as CycleLab are trying to do.

As I said in my post - it urkes me that 29er has so much prevalence, but there is no denying it ... it is the most sought after ... having worked in a bike shop you cant miss this fact ...

Although, as you have indicated a customer SHOULD do their own research prior to a purchase - as you have done ... but many people dont ...

The fact that 29er has become the most sought after bike in SA is mainly due to the terrain and style of events that we have in SA that cater for the mass market - 40 to 60km on jeep tracks and nice flowy singletrack lends itself to a fast rolling bike - we dont have elevation and lift assited trails like Europe so the light 29er is the obvious choice. Its a pity, but hopefully people will see past this and make good decisions based on their own wants - just like you did.

I'll have a think and see how to make it more punchy for CL ....

Ok so the best way to say it then would be that 29er is the "newly adopted industry standard in SA"

So then its still open for the consumer to choose.

I totally agree with you that there are a number of articles available on the web that delve into the benefits and faults of each wheelsize, however you cant put all this information onto a billboard as CycleLab are trying to do.

As I said in my post - it urkes me that 29er has so much prevalence, but there is no denying it ... it is the most sought after ... having worked in a bike shop you cant miss this fact ...

Although, as you have indicated a customer SHOULD do their own research prior to a purchase - as you have done ... but many people dont ...

The fact that 29er has become the most sought after bike in SA is mainly due to the terrain and style of events that we have in SA that cater for the mass market - 40 to 60km on jeep tracks and nice flowy singletrack lends itself to a fast rolling bike - we dont have elevation and lift assited trails like Europe so the light 29er is the obvious choice. Its a pity, but hopefully people will see past this and make good decisions based on their own wants - just like you did.

I'll have a think and see how to make it more punchy for CL ....

All though this is not the exact article, sorry I can't find it, but an image is worth, as you know, a lot...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/technology/tech27-5/94/

I really think the images helped.

I would go along the lines of these images, showing the attack angle, giving the pro's and con's. A simple board, with the correct, unbiased info, and allow the customer to enter into the sales conversion informed.

It does not have to be a huge thing, but knowing the retail spaces they are looking to put this in, there is an opportunity to have it stand aside and be a feature.

However, is there an arterial motive, eg, the brands that they retail, do not have the 650b's in their line up? no names mentioned.

Sorry, retail is a funny thing, often the product you have in stock, is the "best of breed" only because you are out of stock of the other one...

Anyway, once again, MHO.

Yeah thats perfect - please use it ... The more knowledge we can impart onto the newer riders the better. Post a pic of the new sign on here when its done. :thumbup:

Thanks for the voucher offer - I will send the details through just now - Im sure the guys in our KZN Development Cycling Programme can put the cash to good use.

Cheers

Nige

how about this???

Like .. a CHAMP :thumbup: ;)

We have never found these two strategies to be mutually exclusive. Knowledgeable salespeople supported by instore informational signage is what we are trying to get to.

I'm really impressed by you.

You have walked into a lions den carrying a leg of lamb in one hand, a steak in the other, and yet have managed to walk out alive.

Scratched and bleeding but alive.

I'm really impressed by you.

You have walked into a lions den carrying a leg of lamb in one hand, a steak in the other, and yet have managed to walk out alive.

Scratched and bleeding but alive.

Thanks, no one ever said this was a soft crowd :thumbup: