Emperors Race

awesme

Nippy...brrrrr ... froze quite a bit in the start.

D bunch was great ...fast after the neutral zone, stayed up front until the bump at the 43 km mark....oooooh...ouch...got dropped and by the time I crested there was a 500m gap . Thanks to Cyclisti(i think that's :clap: the name,Grey tops with blue trim)...paced us back to the bunch in no time and we stayed together till about 70 or 80 ks when an 18 wheeler pulled in front of us (stopped the entire bunch). This gave the group a chance to attempt a break as half the guys were trying to clip in.... I burnt many matchsticks holding on for dear life to the end where the last 500 meters was pure hell. out of the saddle for a sprint with legs cramping was rather interesting(lol) ... 2h45 finish for me (stoked)

Edited by bmw1za

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was an awesome race! I got to lead the CSA Junior Men, U 16 men (& and +) and the entire race the group was extremely well behaved. :clap:

To give some insight into Marshall Lingo, when you see us up ahead, and we wave from back to front, it means we are letting a car in the back know its safe to pass, we might also wave to the left to show the cyclists that a vehicle is going to come past any second, and my group seemed to fully co-operate and the vehicles could come past no problem. :clap:

Had one VB gent that had went head over handlebars in his group, who then caught up to my bunch, bleeding quite a bit, but this gent had a no fear attitude and didn't want to stop for medical attention. He kept up well and even sprinted out of the group a few times, saw he finished the race, injuries and all. To you sir, I have much respect. :thumbup:

The collision was a Bakkie that hit a car, then took out the robot. The fridge lying in the road came from inside his canopy, got ejected from the impact the Bakkie took.... Medics were on scene very fast, and by the time I got back from seeing my group into the finish, the clean up crew had already cleared up the scene. EMPD also did a great job at keeping the race, and this accident scene under control. :thumbup:

All in all, I had a great day on the bike with you guys and girls, looking forward to the next one!

And if you guys and girls have the time, please come say hi to us marshals, would be great to get to know you better, and we can all have a chat about the day's race, either before, or after. :D

Oh yes, and those who thought it was a myth, Rennies DO help take cramps away :thumbup:

Found two gents on my sweep back from the 50km turn around point, one lying on his back with legs up against the wall, bad leg cramps. His friend said he had taken salt tablets, so I offered him Rennies, to which he was totally stunned, said a colleague at told him to take some with, and said he is definitely going to apologise today to the person for not believing them. :thumbup:

But if you guys do get cramps along the route, just wave one of us marshals to stop, we always carry it in our med kits on the bikes. :D

And any other medical assistance you need, also wave us to stop and assist, that is what we are trained to do, and what we are there for on the races. :thumbup: We can always catch up with our groups after helping you first.

Oh yes, and those who thought it was a myth, Rennies DO help take cramps away :thumbup:

Found two gents on my sweep back from the 50km turn around point, one lying on his back with legs up against the wall, bad leg cramps. His friend said he had taken salt tablets, so I offered him Rennies, to which he was totally stunned, said a colleague at told him to take some with, and said he is definitely going to apologise today to the person for not believing them. :thumbup:

But if you guys do get cramps along the route, just wave one of us marshals to stop, we always carry it in our med kits on the bikes. :D

And any other medical assistance you need, also wave us to stop and assist, that is what we are trained to do, and what we are there for on the races. :thumbup: We can always catch up with our groups after helping you first.

Thanks for the fantastic effort J.P! It really adds a lot to these events having Road Rangers involved.

I started in BL, but got debunched in the neutral zone. Formed a group of 8 and got caught by CL just outside Springs. The section from Sunward Park on Rondebult was filled with cars. Our bike marshalls guided us through the mayhem.

Hope to see you Guys at the next one.

Edited by Speed Racer

Was a good day out in AL.

That crash between what seemed to be a fridge and car in the middle of the road was epic fail and random.

I saw two guys that came down there. Hope you guys are doing alright and recover soon.

Also had a paramedic van standing still in our lane that caused some havoc.

Came in at 2:36. Marshaling from the guys on the bikes were awesome apart from that one guy in a red Tazz that braked flat out when the marshall told him to go and almost hit him from behind.

So definitely some action out there today.

All in all a fast day with some good guys.

The crash happened next to me.

Guy slammed on anchors to go around the Motorbike parked at the scene. Front tyre burst, over the bars. Not pretty.

Hope he is ok.

Good race. Some nice aggressive riding by the Blue and Black kit chaps in the beginning. Last ten km was a bit negative though.

Nippy...brrrrr ... froze quite a bit in the start.

D bunch was great ...fast after the neutral zone, stayed up front until the bump at the 43 km mark....oooooh...ouch...got dropped and by the time I crested there was a 500m gap . Thanks to Cyclisti(i think that's :clap: the name,Grey tops with blue trim)...paced us back to the bunch in no time and we stayed together till about 70 or 80 ks when an 18 wheeler pulled in front of us (stopped the entire bunch). This gave the group a chance to attempt a break as half the guys were trying to clip in.... I burnt many matchsticks holding on for dear life to the end where the last 500 meters was pure hell. out of the saddle for a sprint with legs cramping was rather interesting(lol) ... 2h45 finish for me (stoked)

Ahhh yes the infamous 18 Wheeler...wonder what happened.. to the driver ... From HFR transport.. would think a transport company driver would have more respect for other road users...

The crash happened next to me.

Guy slammed on anchors to go around the Motorbike parked at the scene. Front tyre burst, over the bars. Not pretty.

Hope he is ok.

Good race. Some nice aggressive riding by the Blue and Black kit chaps in the beginning. Last ten km was a bit negative though.

I think it was a contest of who can be the most agro. He was in the beginning I was very aggro in the mid(northcliff kit) and the complete cyclist guys at the end. When the sprints came had nothing left in the tank. I guess thats where experience comes in, still have a lot to learn

Thank you Road Rangers for a great event this Sunday. With a lot of of cyclist and big groups making it a bit hectic but you guys managed to handle it great.

The Rangers that where on duty and the starting groups:

$ Captian Slow (Scooter)

VA Kwas (Black Tiger 1050), Jasper (White Tiger 1200)

VB Nutcracker (Yellow BMW GS)

& and + Redeemer (Suzuki BKing)

% Gennet (KTM 990)

VC Hiryder (BMW GS 1200)

TL Wildcoder (BMW 650), Micheal (BMW 1200 GS yellow)

AL Gregster (KTM 640), Wildrider , (BMW 650 green)

BL Genesis (BMW 650 Yellow)

CL Uli (BMW)

EL Deonos (Honda)

TM EMPD

AM Mufasa (Honda Twister)

* Skiwies (Honda Twister0

EM Mighty Mouse (Suzuki Vstrom Orange) Event Captain.

Some feedback on the crash on rondebult with the two vehicles. Phone the hospital and the 2 ladies (Mom and daugter) are in ICU but in a stable condition.

To all the cycilst that went down I pray that you have a full recovery and that you will be able to cycle soon again. To a great team of marshals you guys did an awesome job. Well done.

Please also give us your feedback so that we can make the next race safer for you on http://www.forum.roadrangers.co.za/

So I started in CL (completely incorrectly seeded) tried to hang onto the big group, however only managed this till the 15km mark when my legs reminded me that I was a dumb@ss for doing legs at gym on friday(cramped flippen early and battled the whole way to the end).

I then got picked up 10km later by a very fast DL group who spat me out again 5km down the road, it was a very lonely 20km before I linked up with a small 3 man DL group.

We were then caught by a few EL guys at the 55km point who we managed to stay with, then FL caught us at Carnival City and we stayed with them right until the last 8km when the group splintered as everyone started sprinting.

I am partially satisfied with my 3:11 ride considering I haven`t really ridden properly since Macsteel.

Shot to the chap from EL i think(number on his shirt was missing) in the cycle Nation kit for helping me push through to the end.

A special Thanks to the road rangers for the work you guys do.

Edited by Lock4

I never moan about stuff but I was injured and went to watch my wife in the 102 km race! something that irritated me was all the 50k guys finishing at the same time as the elite woman and a b and groups. and they cross the finish line at 2km an hour and stop and chat to there buddies when there are serious cycle races going on behind them and sprinting at mach 2 for wins in there groups! If i was not injured I would have jumped over the fence and pushed them out of the way! I found that dangerous! My wife said I was a awesome race!

Awesoem race, did the 50km.

Only little gripe I have was the start, there was no clear indication for cyclists to keep right and go into the start pens. As a results there were lots of guys going down the road into on coming motorists, even saw some chop smack a taxi side mirror, not sure why as he was in the wrong place(although on his behalf there was no signage to say that)

Marshalls should have forced guys out of that road if there were using it to let traffic through

Edited by Lizzardd

What a day, what a race... at least for the first 11km in VA's, when my race abruptly ended with my first crash. Pothole in the road, water bottles flying, guys ducking and diving... crash boom bang. I saw my water bottle jump out of the cage as well because of the pothole, and somehow bounced from my leg into my back wheel. Locked up my wheel completely which left me scouting the tar for where i will fall.

Bike is broken badly, so I'll see this week what the financial damage is. Speaking to a guy after the race, he mentioned that our group had 3 different crash incidences... Sho!

To the Road Ranger who assisted me on the scene... You were absolutely brilliant and your concern about my well being was overwhelming. You guys do such a brilliant job and often go unnoticed (until we hit the tar mac and actually realize how helpful you are), to you my friend I take my hat off, and say thank you so very much. :thumbup:

You got the medics there in seconds attending to myself and another cyclist that also fell down, and ensured that I get back safely to Emperors (with my broken bike).

Now it's to heal up, fix/replace my bike... and start riding again :thumbup:

Thanks to the Road Rangers had an awesome day out on the bike!!! Started in AL and finished in 2:35. The crash at that intersection was a bit scary as I'm a new roadie :eek:

I had absolutely NO gass at the last 300m. . .

Probably attacked too much the last part of the race. Just couldn't get away from the bunch. Worked well with those guys in the Black and Blue kits. BTW I had the Black and Yellow Castelli kit on :D

Looking forward to next race!!

I had absolutely NO gass at the last 300m. . .

Probably attacked too much the last part of the race. Just couldn't get away from the bunch. Worked well with those guys in the Black and Blue kits. BTW I had the Black and Yellow Castelli kit on :D

Looking forward to next race!!

The guys in the Blue and Black kit is from the Lenmed Cycling Team.