Event Photo Pricing

scott the hobbit

One should just be careful that one day there are no photographers at the events cos it's not worth it for them. Then the Rant would be "there's no photo's at events"

If paid up to R60 for a photo, it must be a good shot and good quality. I just wish they would take more photos of me. Maybe I should wear a board "I pay for photo" not so much photos of back marker I think

It's not cheap to sit out in a event like Tankwa Trek and take photos all day.

i get loads of pics, you riding too fast

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, a good photo, quality stuff I will pay for no problem. my brother studied photography and I can appreciate it is more than just mik and druk.

I would just like a decent discounts if you take the whole lot. Then they will get much more R45's plus more.

you have a valid point but a photographer should not try pay off all his equipment from 1 race!!!

it also comes down to economies of scale, if it was my business i would rather have a thousand photos bought at R15 than 10 at R45, yes i know there is more to it but if you are serious about your business and your quality speaks for itself a lower price point embeds you with the clients better than a higher one.

thats my humble 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 zim dollars( soon to be rands) worth anyway.

But you miss the point how many people want the photos? don't even get me started on medals.

So maybe 15% of the field purchase if that much, then the math becomes way more scary.

The guys at Oakpics do a great job :thumbup:

1655850_10152226516097863_400804448_n.jpg

Oakpics is the benchmark for me... these guys are really passionate about what they do. I find many of the other event photographers just take a photo of you from the easiest place for them to get to, which also generally happens to be the most boring and least memorable part of your race.

Quality photos I will happily pay for!

As for pricing, it's not a job I would do, but I do think a sliding scale should apply on the fee's if you want more than one photo - if you're going to get your CC out for R60, it's very easy to get it out for R120 too, but there needs to be more than one good photo :thumbup:

This has probably been discussed before, but is it just me or are the photos from events ridiculously priced? R45 per photo, that i have to download and still print (yes, I still print photo's) is a bit steep in my view. Maybe i just have deep pockets but I cant justify paying that much.

Ive never bought any of my photos due to cost but if they were cheaper i would definitely buy. and maybe other would and the photographer would make more money???

Right, that's my rant over

You go buy a R50k camera and lens and sit in the bushes all day... how are you gonna recoup your fees. Not everybody buys a photo.

You may not like the pose you gave in some of your pics and dont buy them, then the next event you would have done a fantastic pout and buy that one to show your mates.

R50 odd bucks for a photo is very fair in my opinion.

I'm a commercial photographer. I won't shoot for R45 a pic. So I don't. Wouldn't consider trying to make money from cyclists. Not worth the effort.

There was this one time though, a trip to Cycle Mashatu with some lekker good riding and great food... it wasn't too bad ;)

A great solution would be to incorporate this into event fees.

They're currently selling pics at R45 each - that's ludicrous, but I reckon they're probably selling less than 10% of their pics.

This means:

- consistent, reliable income for photographers

- all riders get pics

- organizer gets brownie points for being innovative.

Downsides:

- Photographers not as motivated to take decent pics if they've already been paid (the pics won't need to sell themselves)

- extra expense for organizer cuts into profits or extra expense is passed on to riders in the entry fee.

Edited by MTBc

They're currently selling pics at R45 each - that's ludicrous, but I reckon they're probably selling less than 10% of their pics.

This means:

- all riders get pics

Downsides:

- Photographers not as motivated to take decent pics if they've already been paid (the pics won't need to sell themselves)

- extra expense for organizer cuts into profits or extra expense is passed on to riders in the entry fee.

Just To add my 2c to the downside... there will be a whole lot more threads on the hub about event fees going through the roof

This means:

- all riders get pics

Downsides:

Think they do 1 photo at joberg2c...sommer framed. You get it as you cross the finish line. One of my prized possessions...myself, jcza and chucky crossing the vaal on day 1. Good memories :thumbup:

There was this one time though, a trip to Cycle Mashatu with some lekker good riding and great food... it wasn't too bad ;)

So you that Andrew! We shared a room I remember you were nervous about scorpions.

That was a cool shoot in Mashatu with great riding and great people. Not sitting on the side of the road hoping to make a buck.

Glad to see you still around mate.

I have no issues with paying for a professional job. It's not like they are using mik en druks. These guys are professionals.

So you that Andrew! We shared a room I remember you were nervous about scorpions.

That was a cool shoot in Mashatu with great riding and great people. Not sitting on the side of the road hoping to make a buck.

Glad to see you still around mate.

Was a very cool trip, still bummed that I have as yet not been back. And obviously it's a whole different kettle of fish to shooting mass race images for a few rand...

Good to see you're around

PS: Scorpions still make me nervous, a week of paralysis does that :blush: Damn Parabuthus Transvaalicus!

I have done event photography, my take is most people want something for free, after all i just push the button........

I would have the following on me just to take your photos:

2 camera bodies canon 7d R20K each

2 low light lenses normally 24-70 mm f2.8 R25K and a 24mm f1.4 R20K

2 speedlights (flashes) R6K each

remote triggers R5K

1 light stand, 4 x 16 gig memory cards, spare batteries camera bag, diffusers for flashes R7K

Over R100K worth of kit to take your photo. I made more money selling at R100 a photo than R50 or R20 a photo, but no where enough to feed my family.

Bottom line is to cart all that kit out into the bush, getting it dirty, lying in the mud to take "action pics", spending a day taking photos and 3 days editing was not worth the hassle. Just work out what your time is worth to you

There are a number of good local guys, who I would gladly pay as the photos are excellent but ActionPhoto not so much. The are not even a local company as far as a I know and off all the events they have covered that I entered I can only recall one good photo.

These guys are great and I would pay

http://i74141.wix.co...cha-photography

http://www.chrishitchcock.co.za/

Tx for the mention. Appreciated

R45 is a very good price, I would expect to pay more. 2 camera set up, even at reduced rates is going to be in the R100k range, body and decent lense, R30k, need 2 at least. Decent PC and software R20k, cards, spare battery, tripods, bags, etc...

So 2500 odd pics pays for the hardware, then there are travel costs, accommodation, etc...

And then he has to make a living.

If it's a good pic, then R100 is about right.

Anyway, MHO.

I have done event photography, my take is most people want something for free, after all i just push the button........

I would have the following on me just to take your photos:

2 camera bodies canon 7d R20K each

2 low light lenses normally 24-70 mm f2.8 R25K and a 24mm f1.4 R20K

2 speedlights (flashes) R6K each

remote triggers R5K

1 light stand, 4 x 16 gig memory cards, spare batteries camera bag, diffusers for flashes R7K

Over R100K worth of kit to take your photo. I made more money selling at R100 a photo than R50 or R20 a photo, but no where enough to feed my family.

Bottom line is to cart all that kit out into the bush, getting it dirty, lying in the mud to take "action pics", spending a day taking photos and 3 days editing was not worth the hassle. Just work out what your time is worth to you

What he said...