Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Ooh I don't know about that - the admittedly small sample taken on Sunday would indicate otherwise :blink:

I have to say though I do feel bad for the leader of the club if he is genuinely trying to promote cycling and uplift people he sure didn't deserve to wake up to world war three after the weekend, he was badly dropped by the people involved. We all do stupid things at some point but most of us manage to stay away from crossing the line labelled moronic but in this case they didn't just step over the line they sprinted past it at Olympian like speed.

Marko, it will be a sadder day for cycling if some lycra hothead has to do something stupid simply because another member of this club is wearing their shirt. Especially when the majority of their riders are development guys who wont necessarily have access to other kit.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you never lost your temper and punched someone?

Last time was probably when I was in my early to mid teans... I have since learnt that its not really acceptable to behave violently unless there is a dire situation.

Maybe I am a pacifist. But the idea of 'teaching someone a lesson' through violence just breeds hatred, spawns ill temper and really only teaches more violence.

I was paddy whacked at least 3 times a week by cane wielding teachers, I have no issue with a bit of discipline, but a mob justice attack, a violent reaction to harsh words and the fact that anyone can condone this leaves me disturbed beyond belief.

I didnt want to say anything, but if you truly think that punching someone and pepper spraying someone because they offend you is ok, you are part of the problem which inflicts our country.

Hands up anyone who condones this. COME ON. Let's see who really thinks this is justified.

(Seriously doubt you will find anyone. We are almost ALL in agreement that this is thuggery. Some of us would just like to know how it really got to this, now that it is truly out there in the public for all to see.)

Edited by Tubehunter

Thanks for correcting my spelling :thumbup:

So as a hero you are accepting defeat and will allow this behavior to continue?

If they had killed the guy then that would be a bit much, but a punch up and some pepper spray is harsh but might have been what was needed to teach a lesson.

As I said earlier, no one really knows or will ever know what really happened. The video caught them at a bad time.

No... As a 'hero' I would try to break the cycle of anger and aggression...

Grow a pair, be the bigger man and walk away.

I'm done with this thread. Those trying to justify violence are part of the problem and a problem it certainly is.

I am glad these guys are being arrested. Just like I hope we can stamp out drunk driving, unlawful appropriation of goods, tax evasion and all the other illegal things which plague our land which are passed off as acceptable by the affluent..

It isnt...

Watching the video again now brought a thought to mind.

When the car moves forward the videographer says something like "im telling all of you, you f***ers". Could it be that the driver is one of those arsed up people permanently angry at the cycling community? Its not at all the point of the story and the "mob" needs to be exposed, but it just made me think about how many drivers hate cyclists unnecessarily. Just a thought.

Eddy, I agree with you. I'll post this again. The level of response was not appropriate irrespective of what the provocation. The chaps who have handed themselves in to the cops need to get what is coming to them. Simple. Period. I don't for one second believe they were justified. Let the process follow its course and we'll see where it goes.

All I would like to get from this incident above what the rest of you are saying is what the whole story is and not merely the 59 seconds of mobile phone video a passer by in his car captured as the tail end. Some posters here have indicated they were present. Let them fill in the gaps without the media spin. What has been presented so far makes no sense as to the beating the driver got.

"Earlier yesterday morning I was driving on Beach Road towards Cape Town, just past the Pavilion. There are two lanes and I was in the right hand lane. I found myself approaching a bunch of about twenty cyclists, probably practicing for the Argus Cycle Tour. They were in the left lane, but many were riding abreast so some were even encroaching into the right hand lane, past the center line. Aware of the new 1.5 meter rule, I slowed to give them space and was unwilling to overtake. Further ahead was a stationary vehicle that was double parked but it went unnoticed by the leader of the group who was looking back and communicating to the rest of the team. The group were moving swiftly and only at the last second when the leader again faced forwards, did he see the vehicle…. Just in the nick of time. He had to swerve to avoid the vehicle and this obviously upset him. He stopped his bicycle abruptly and flew into a violent rage. The entire peleton pulled up in support and some followed his lead. I fumbled with my phone for valuable seconds and eventually got the camera going, and filmed the violence unfolding before me. You can clearly see how they battered the vehicle, bent the windscreen wipers, pepper sprayed the driver, tried to steal his keys, assaulted him with a bicycle wheel and punched him and the passenger in the face repeatedly. There was a lot more going down than what you can see in the video.

I drove away as the vehicles further behind me grew impatient but a few hundred meters further I decided to do the right thing and return to assist the driver and his passenger. By the time I got there, the cyclists had left (I passed them) and the Van was nowhere to be seen. I stopped at my friend Dave D’Aguiar, and shared the video. Dave was equally disturbed by the video and took it to Sea Point Police Station himself about two hours later. He inquired at the charge office if anyone had laid a charge against cyclists for road rage and, as coincidence would have it, the victims were themselves in the police station doing exactly that! As it turns out, they were volunteer workers cleaning up the hydration bags and other litter after the finish of the 10KM Sunshine D, Nelson Mandela Commemorative Walk.

If you would like to be instrumental in bringing these hooligans to justice then please SHARE this post now. Like minded citizens may recognize some of the perpetrators and the clubs they ride for. If you recognize any of the cyclists in the video then either ‘name and shame’ or call the investigating officer directly, Warrant Officer Olivier on 021 430 3700."

People keep saying that it's only 59s of video, what of the 2nd post in the thread? the account from the guy who took the video.

Granted, it doesn't cover anything from "miles" up the road, but how far back do you want to take it?

post-34848-0-33834600-1394007835_thumb.jpg

Hands up anyone who condones this. COME ON. Let's see who really thinks this is justified.

(Seriously doubt you will find anyone. We are almost ALL in agreement that this is thuggery. Some of us would just like to know how it really got to this, now that it is truly out there in the public for all to see.)

People keep saying that it's only 59s of video, what of the 2nd post in the thread? the account from the guy who took the video.

Granted, it doesn't cover anything from "miles" up the road, but how far back do you want to take it?

To the point where posters who have indicated on this thread they were present and the altercation first started.

When the car moves forward the videographer says something like "im telling all of you, you f***ers". Could it be that the driver is one of those arsed up people permanently angry at the cycling community? Its not at all the point of the story and the "mob" needs to be exposed, but it just made me think about how many drivers hate cyclists unnecessarily. Just a thought.

I would be surprised if there weren't quite a few people sat in cars thinking mildly unkind thoughts as they watched that mess. For sure if I was a witness my thought process would have involved a fair amount of swearing aimed at the guys carrying out the assault.

Apart from the expletive, the rest is unclear. I don't think it is necessary to make any more of it than he was rightly appalled by their behaviour. His motivation for recording and posting the event does not affect the culpability of the cyclists involved.

Edited by Blackbeard