Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Let us for the moment accept your position as true. How does that change the legal position ?

No matter what went before, what the video shows is an assault by the cyclists on the driver.

Earlier provocation is not legal justification for vigilante action. You may not like that, but that is the legal position.

If it emerges that some incident had occurred some time prior to the assault captured on video, somewhere earlier on the road as has been previously suggested, it places the attackers in a worse position. This means that the attack was not the spur of the moment reaction (as confirmed by Surv0MTB), but that the attackers had time to consider their actions and reconcile themselves to the consequences thereof.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters the group rode wide abreast in traffic, that in itself should see the lot noted. Clubs that engage in such behaviour in traffic should receive sanctions in any event. It's far too common and little is done about it.

From what happened behind the vehicle it would appear as if mc2 is only giving up the perps that are likely identifyable by video in any ways. This does not garner back much goodwill.

Condonation of violence was also evident on their facebook account before they removed those sections and closed down the page. There is more depth on both sides of this story, but let's await the outcome of the disciplinary and criminal investigations.

In short I'm glad that most times I see asphalt, I have a metal box around me.

You know in my mind what the saddest thing is right now....

We can sit and debate the relevant merits of a unacceptable punch up where both parties probably had some sort of role to apportion for 63 pages...

But a triple family farm murder, where the mother goes to the airport to pick up the son to take home and surprise the father for his 70th birthday are brutally murder same day....cant even make as much news as these cyclist did in South Africa, or anywhere near 60 pages on the hub...

sad times,,,

I have not ignored that thread, but I find that issue too raw to discuss dispassionately.

You know in my mind what the saddest thing is right now....

We can sit and debate the relevant merits of a unacceptable punch up where both parties probably had some sort of role to apportion for 63 pages...

But a triple family farm murder, where the mother goes to the airport to pick up the son to take home and surprise the father for his 70th birthday are brutally murder same day....cant even make as much news as these cyclist did in South Africa, or anywhere near 60 pages on the hub...

sad times,,,

This is so true....and very sad indeed!!

So our response to people behaving like apes, is behaving like apes to people? Nah. Sworn, spit at, maced and a high five to the face with a wheel because of an affiliation to a club whose name a few jerks tarnished is just as bad as the initial event itself. This is like foreigners saying South Africans are murderers when we know that it's only some. We'd want a break then, give the good okes in the club a break now.

Thanks for your support.

We have grown up in a society where restraint tolerance and forgiveness was propogated by one of the worlds greatest leader...Nelson Mandela.

Yes MCC has work to do to redeem itself, but guys this could easily have been any other cycling club even yours, does it negate the good the club has done in the past, probably. I'm not in any way condoning the behaviour all I'm asking for is tolerance , tolerance For the many innocent members of MCC.

I have cycled over 4000km to work and back in Cape Town, much of the route is off the bike lane.

I have never, ever had any major issues with motorists... EVER

I am courteous and respectiful and I receive the same response from motorists who often go out of their way to not endanger me.

These idiots in groups thinking they are cycling the tour de france must be fully prosecuted and made a public example of... From what I have seen, cyclists are most of the time the problem when it comes to attitude.

No matter what started it, their response is just as brutal and unacceptable as the other crime we have going on here.

I am fuming because motorists that see this will now come after me!

I find it very difficult to believe that the 30k cyclists doing the Argus will be 'gunning' for cyclists in MCC colours on the road.

It fascinates me that our moral outrage, at the incident in question, would cause some of us to threaten equally poor behaviour and we feel justified at that. We shall rally the masses to meter out mob justice...........

Enjoy the race guys and stand tall in your colours.

Thanks for the encouragement and support, I hope the rest of he cycling fraternity will be as open minded and a gentleman, to see the many innocent members of MCC are not the enemy.

This is going to be the same as real tragedies with cycling (where people have actually lost their lives), it will be in the news for 4 days max, massive outrage and then forgotten.

The public's attention span is not that long and the Oscar trial is just getting started. Doubt there will be any bans, sanctions, legal claims, criminal claims or any action really.

The club is handling the incident. I think they're co-operating and that is all that was asked for. I saw a queue of bike outside Penny Pinchers this morning. The pitch fork sale is going well. Almost out of stock

Thanks for the encouragement and support, I hope the rest of he cycling fraternity will be as open minded and a gentleman, to see the many innocent members of MCC are not the enemy.

I make dua/pray that this whole issue is resolved amicably.

I find it very difficult to believe that the 30k cyclists doing the Argus will be 'gunning' for cyclists in MCC colours on the road.

It fascinates me that our moral outrage, at the incident in question, would cause some of us to threaten equally poor behaviour and we feel justified at that. We shall rally the masses to meter out mob justice...........

Enjoy the race guys and stand tall in your colours.

It only takes one out of 30k to switch a guy in an MCC shirt and we have big drama.

Something just struck me. The kids that were with, to some it was a traumatic experience. What about those poor kids. I pray that they find peace in their experience and try to move past it.

Which is why the club has fingered the two main instigators

Now all this attention has been directed at MC2, why is Bellville Cycling Club getting off scott free? SOme of their club members are also in that video participating in the attack. The process of disciplinary is only fair of those thugs are also disciplined.

Honestly then the cycling fraternity is no better than the people they have condemned.

The speculation of one person concerned about innocent MC2 members does not justify this generalisation.

Which is why the club has fingered the two main instigators

Now all this attention has been directed at MC2, why is Bellville Cycling Club getting off scott free? SOme of their club members are also in that video participating in the attack. The process of disciplinary is only fair of those thugs are also disciplined.

Like my grandma always says, you can steel 99 times, 100th time you will get caught