Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Earlier yesterday morning I was driving on Beach Road towards Cape Town, just past the Pavilion. There are two lanes and I was in the right hand lane. I found myself approaching a bunch of about twenty cyclists, probably practicing for the Argus Cycle Tour. They were in the left lane, but many were riding abreast so some were even encroaching into the right hand lane, past the center line. Aware of the new 1.5 meter rule, I slowed to give them space and was unwilling to overtake. Further ahead was a stationary vehicle that was double parked but it went unnoticed by the leader of the group who was looking back and communicating to the rest of the team. The group were moving swiftly and only at the last second when the leader again faced forwards, did he see the vehicle…. Just in the nick of time. He had to swerve to avoid the vehicle and this obviously upset him. He stopped his bicycle abruptly and flew into a violent rage. The entire peleton pulled up in support and some followed his lead. I fumbled with my phone for valuable seconds and eventually got the camera going, and filmed the violence unfolding before me. You can clearly see how they battered the vehicle, bent the windscreen wipers, pepper sprayed the driver, tried to steal his keys, assaulted him with a bicycle wheel and punched him and the passenger in the face repeatedly. There was a lot more going down than what you can see in the video.

I drove away as the vehicles further behind me grew impatient but a few hundred meters further I decided to do the right thing and return to assist the driver and his passenger. By the time I got there, the cyclists had left (I passed them) and the Van was nowhere to be seen. I stopped at my friend Dave D’Aguiar, and shared the video. Dave was equally disturbed by the video and took it to Sea Point Police Station himself about two hours later. He inquired at the charge office if anyone had laid a charge against cyclists for road rage and, as coincidence would have it, the victims were themselves in the police station doing exactly that! As it turns out, they were volunteer workers cleaning up the hydration bags and other litter after the finish of the 10KM Sunshine D, Nelson Mandela Commemorative Walk.

If you would like to be instrumental in bringing these hooligans to justice then please SHARE this post now. Like minded citizens may recognize some of the perpetrators and the clubs they ride for. If you recognize any of the cyclists in the video then either ‘name and shame’ or call the investigating officer directly, Warrant Officer Olivier on 021 430 3700."

That's hectic :eek: , looks more like a delivery driver as opposed to a taxi driver as the windows are blacked out/ painted over.

What happened preceding this incident?

Is that not in fact a delivery van? Note the lack of side windows.

Pretty hectic stuff, but without context it is difficult to say exactly what went down before the video was shot.

Then you get these keyboard warriors that give advice on the hub saying "just moer him finished and klaar" he won't do it again. Well unfortunately next time this driver won't treat cyclists with the respect they THINK they deserve

Edit: And the other drivers who watch this video will also treat all cyclists with no respect anymore

Edited by fabes

Regardless of what was said to the cyclists, this is brutality...

Disgusting...

I say name and Shame the group and have their Argus entries revoked!!!

Out numbered, Pepper sprayed, hit with a bike?? Absolutely Shocking...

Once this goes viral, cyclists, get ready to be abused alot more now by motor vehicles!!

Surely there is more to this...... That van driver must have done something to make these guys get so wild?

There was an eye witness. The van was stationary and the cyclists nearly rode into it as it appears that the leaders were not watching the road ahead of them.

They are thugs and need to be prosecuted for assault.

"Earlier yesterday morning I was driving on Beach Road towards Cape Town, just past the Pavilion. There are two lanes and I was in the right hand lane. I found myself approaching a bunch of about twenty cyclists, probably practicing for the Argus Cycle Tour. They were in the left lane, but many were riding abreast so some were even encroaching into the right hand lane, past the center line. Aware of the new 1.5 meter rule, I slowed to give them space and was unwilling to overtake. Further ahead was a stationary vehicle that was double parked but it went unnoticed by the leader of the group who was looking back and communicating to the rest of the team. The group were moving swiftly and only at the last second when the leader again faced forwards, did he see the vehicle…. Just in the nick of time. He had to swerve to avoid the vehicle and this obviously upset him. He stopped his bicycle abruptly and flew into a violent rage. The entire peleton pulled up in support and some followed his lead.

As it turns out, they were volunteer workers cleaning up the hydration bags and other litter after the finish of the 10KM Sunshine D, Nelson Mandela Commemorative Walk.

Edited by eddy

No body goes that crazy over nothing.. watch towards the end of the video, it looks like a little guy got knocked off, he comes running around the vehicle hobbling, if the driver did bump some one off as a result of not concentrating then he got what was coming..

Regardless of what the "eye witness" says, I just cant see a stationary van causing such a violent outburst?

Perhaps i'm wrong?

No body goes that crazy over nothing.. watch towards the end of the video, it looks like a little guy got knocked off, he comes running around the vehicle hobbling, if the driver did bump some one off as a result of not concentrating then he got what was coming..

He deserved an out of control mob? Pfff...