Air Travel with CO2 Cartridges

gtriggs

Sorry it was 2012 I was bust with a bomb at CT, I had just left one in my saddle bag they got very excited, I was almost drawn & quartered. Flew down with it okay.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of those frame bomb brackets that fits with the waterbottle. I only fit it to fly the bike and then remove it again. Looks like part of a fancy bike methinks.

once flew with a single speed cog in my hand luggage, clearly wasn't thinking when I packed....thing came up like a ninja star on the x-ray machine, eyeballed the security and he just packed out laughing. had plenty of time so manage to send it in the hold in it's own special little box they made up for me.

To the OP, I wouldn't risk packing cartridges with my bike. Rather try it with your hand-luggage knowing you might have it taken from you. You'll be able to buy plenty at the expo. And if they're sold out, just PM me and we can make a plan.

To the OP, I wouldn't risk packing cartridges with my bike. Rather try it with your hand-luggage knowing you might have it taken from you. You'll be able to buy plenty at the expo. And if they're sold out, just PM me and we can make a plan.

Thanks for the offer FlyMango !

Flew down from Joburg with three in my saddle bag attached to my bike. Did not have any problems.

I got caught with a canister-bomb in my bike bag in Cape Town airport recently. After checking they called my name out and made me go into security, identify my luggage etc. and consent to the canister being confiscated and destroyed. They were nice enough to me, but made it clear they regarded it as a serious offence.

Oddly when I flew down from Jhb the scanners never picked up the canisters.

I bet the Americano servers are ringing up this thread lekker with all these fun keywords bundeled into one thread.

Read on one of the sites that you can take the co2, but not nitrogen ones. Haven't seen the nitrogen ones, but might be difficult to tell them apart.

Bit of googling the contentious issue:

Not local but mixed messages

Official website of the USA Department of Homeland Security

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/compressed-gas-cylinders

JetBlue

tems that are Prohibited in Checked Bags

The following items are hazardous materials or dangerous goods and are not allowed as carry-on items or in checked bags:

• CO2 cartridges

With each trip to work (once every 3 months) I fly with a bunch of bombs , big and small in my luggage, First to ORT on Airlink and then to Kigali & Kamenbe on Rwandair .

I have never had a problem.

However on Friday coming home there was a power outage at Kamenbe and the did a very thorough manual search.

The guy found my SWAT pepper stream spray. " What is this? " he demanded. "Spray" I answered, " Oh, hair spray?" - "Yes"

Not sure but most recent was Atta earlier this year. Flew to George with bombs in bag with kulula from Lanseria. Again no issues.

Yeah, can we assume no issues as the plane didn't blow up?

The issue is surely one of common sense? Take a highly pressurized container into an atmosphere of extreme changes in atmospheric pressure?

Not worth the risk I'd say. But then I'm also the fool who stops at red lights and rarely exceeds the speed limit.

Interesting that Kulula bit on 16gr. I've had them taken off me at an airport once, now I always buy new at destination. Most check-in counters has "compressed air" included in notices of items not permitted in hand or check in luggage.

I didnt even think of flying with it as an option anymore. On most of my international flights I get asked if I have cartridges in the bike box and whether I have deflated the tyres. In SA I've not been asked yet.

I would not fly with them. The risk of your luggage not arriving at destination is to great. It really is to interpretation of the screening officer, regardless of what the airline says.

I don't know how the system works, but it seems like Swissport handles all baggage at the airport and they probably screen all baggage as well. Whether they do it per airline, I don't know and find it highly unlikely. So for instance if SAA does not allow it, they might err on the side of caution and not allow it at all.

I accidentally left a CO2 cartridge in my saddlebag once and they actually called me just before going through immigration to come and remove it.

I would err on the side of caution and not do it, it's not a huge amount of money to prevent a possible inconvenience.

Archived