djsam

and i'm pretty sure there is a Chinese equivalent of the Garmin battery :ph34r:

to go with my Chinarello?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Battery should last longer than that. I find that I can do 3 day stage race without charging and still have some battery left. Longest single ride I've done is 12 hours and battery wasn't flat.

My battery lasts +-2-3 weeks. Riding Tue-Wed+Fri 50km(1:30 each, Saturday 100km and Sunday also 100km. Weekly total riding = +-14hrs

how long you had the 500?anyone know what the life expectancy of these batteries are?

See no evil

Thanks

"OT apology ON"

Perfectly legit using OSM on Garmin - saves you money, and sometimes they are actually better.

Also http://www.velomap.org/ - which is OSM based but with more details.

I found Velo map had a tendency to route me down dirt tracks on a road bike tho - OSM was better on that

If you're in SA though, and you do any 4x4 - then Tracks4Africa is awesome and works for bike too, Loads fine onto etrex and therefore I'd think Edge as well. It isn't free, but is more detailed than the above, especially with offroad trails.

"OT apology OFF"

how long you had the 500?anyone know what the life expectancy of these batteries are?

Had mine 3.5 years now - still get several 3 or 4hr rides out of mine between charges

Had mine 3.5 years now - still get several 3 or 4hr rides out of mine between charges

cool, good to know, only had mine 5 months

My 500 is 4 years old

Last long ride I did was about 5 months back and that was 13hrs 25 mins and if I remember correctly it was at 18% still

I get 2 long weekend rides and 3 to 4 short rides in week on 1 charge which is about 16hrs give or take so mine is still very good.

Battery should last longer than that. I find that I can do 3 day stage race without charging and still have some battery left. Longest single ride I've done is 12 hours and battery wasn't flat.

So any idea what i can do or where i can raise my RANT, LOL kidding, where i can raise my concern??

Buy the battery and replace it yourself... it's easy as pie... done it when modified an Edge 500 to work with external power through a dedicated port to last through a 24hr solo...

may I ask where you got the battery? I'll give it a shot.... worst case scenario I'll take it back to Garmin and get a refurbished unit ..

I'm keeping a keen eye on this tread, got my Edge 500 bundle for 2 weeks now and loving it. go good to hear that you can get some good life out the battery and on the otherhand it scary to hear that you can't replace it cheaply and easily as most other gadgets

I'm keeping a keen eye on this tread, got my Edge 500 bundle for 2 weeks now and loving it. go good to hear that you can get some good life out the battery and on the otherhand it scary to hear that you can't replace it cheaply and easily as most other gadgets

In total agreement mine has recorded plenty miles.. and worked tremendously well, as you have pointed out, I too am a little disappointed its not just a replacement battery...

...and here I thought that its only Polar products that have problems :eek:

I'm gonna sound like my old man here - bu sadly I find most/many products I buy these days have issues. Too much tech/weight/cost saving, and too little design and build quality for long life - which I guess is exactly what they want, have it break one day out of warranty so we have to buy more.

think i have had mine 2 years? wouldn't think it is a year thing possibly a charging thing it is Li-IO after all.