Knee frustrations

I changed (rather, had it changed) everything after the issue started in an attempt to fix the problem.... Guess not...

I did 'n fit at the complete cyclist in houtbay. They lifted my seat (from 42degrees to 35 degrees - angle between knee and leg), and pushed my seat back so that my knee disects the pedal.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed to road shoes (road mtb shoes previously) and had cleats fitted.

I had this pre DC 2012. It hamped as I ramped up from 1200km a year to 4000km.

I went to Chris Delpiere at sport science and he had inserts made for me.

For me it was over use with my stupid pigeon toe feet and a bad bike setup.

Insoles and a bike setup later and this year sitting on around 8000km a year and not a knee problem in sight.

It did take a lot of betprohen, ice and prayer to get round the DC after getting setup 6 days before.

Dear hubbers

I started struggling with my right knee a month ago when I pushed 160km in a weekend training for the Argus.

Since then I gymmed, "foam rolled", did a setup, changed my shoes and cleats and everything else short of a professional ergofit.

Still, I rode yesterday after almost three weeks off the bike and my knee hurt lekker last night.

Any advice? There's no way I am not riding the argus....

I used a product called Penetrex. It is a cream that deals with inflammation. I had amazing results using it for tennis elbow. It is R320 for a jar that lasts about 6 weeks and seems only to be available from a place called Lifemed Warehouse based in Cape Town. http://lifemedwarehouse.co.za/

Its just below the knee on the outside of the leg. Pain intenses as the ride progresses and shoots down to me foot.

Its not cramps. Believe me, after the Burger I know the difference. I lose power as well as the pain increases.

On the bump on the outside of the knee? post a picture and mark it up - I wonder if you don't have ITBFS...

If you flex the knee with your fingers pressing firmly on the bumps you will feel it it's there, as the tendon crosses the bump.

I went to Chris Delpiere at sport science and he had inserts made for me.

Chris is a good man..... ask him about saddle sores....

He has a good story.... :) :)

.....and compression garment (note not knee brace).

They are good for holding the ice pack in position....

On the bump on the outside of the knee? post a picture and mark it up - I wonder if you don't have ITBFS...

If you flex the knee with your fingers pressing firmly on the bumps you will feel it it's there, as the tendon crosses the bump.

About 5-6 cm down from that bump, there is another bump. The pain is most secere there.... I thought it was ltb, but its too low for that. The tendant ends at the knee.

About 5-6 cm down from that bump, there is another bump. The pain is most secere there.... I thought it was ltb, but its too low for that. The tendant ends at the knee.

Possible inflammation of the proximal tibiofibular joint ( synovial joint between tibia and fibula bone of lower leg closest to knee). Can occur to torsional stresses placed on lower leg - repetitive stresses lead to overuse and inflammation.

EDIT: Have a look at this link for explanation (or other possible causes)

http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.06.0627

Edited by BarHugger

The band attaches to the lowest bump.. you can feel the tendon under your fingers between the lower 2 bumps - put pressure on the tendon with a finger and move the knee through it's full range of motion - if the pain gets worse in the last 20 off degrees before straight, you probably have ITBFS....

I say probably because I trust my fingers more than yours... in terms of anatomical placement accuracy...

Do the ITB stretch a lot... and see - if it improves, good, if it gets worse, stop - and in all cases, use the ice.

Similar pain in my knee....same place too.

My saddle was way too fat back and my knees well behind the saddle.

My reach on the bike was also very cramped and I ended up with a lower back that took strain easily and hammies that suffered. My hammies have never ever given me problems before through many different sports.

Got my saddle in the correct position relative to my pedal axel and bb, slapped on a longer stem to Stretch out the reach (still need one about 10 to 20mm shorter though) and my ride this morning was far more comfortable with no strain on the knee. ...It is still tender though but being aggravated any more. Hammies and lower back felt good too with far better climbing strength.

To give you an idea it was about 710m climbing over about 10 km riding and all was good