Best cure for road rash?

Bactroban and one of those opsite water repellent plasters. Will minimise the scaring too. Bactroban works like a dream.

That, is pretty much home-made granuflex.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bactroban and one of those opsite water repellent plasters. Will minimise the scaring too. Bactroban works like a dream.

No need for all those painful remedies when you have this - and it works well! :thumbup:

You can use honey. Its perfect for road rash. anti-sceptic. A lot of bikers swear by it. Ive used honey on some pretty bad burns amd it often heals up without a blister or scarring.

contrary to popular belief a wound heals better when it is kept wet. ie with bactroban and an opsite plaster.

Merthiolate etc will he cheaper, and might get you back on the bike earlier. this is defs the recce way of doing it.

contrary to popular belief a wound heals better when it is kept wet. ie with bactroban and an opsite plaster.

Merthiolate etc will he cheaper, and might get you back on the bike earlier. this is defs the recce way of doing it.

Yup. Thats why I said honey works like a bomb. Even some doctors use it if they did skin grafts, etc. The "propper" honey to use is Manuka honey from New Zealand or somewhere, but I just use normal honey. Just get some sort of covering that can go over it. Apparently you get something that looks like clingwrap that works well.

From the wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_honey

" It was a gourmet medicine

during the Second Balkan

War in 1913, healing the

wounds of soldiers. Honey

from several species of

sting-less bees was

consumed to cure flu , to

cure cataract, glaucoma

and cough .[10] In modern

times, its use as a healing

agent is equally popular. In

2007, in the Manchester

Evening News in England,

the use of “manuka honey”

in a large hospital in New

Zealand to control

methicillin-resistant

Staphylococcus aureus

(MRSA) and other bacterial

infections was noted; its

antibacterial property to kill

or inhibit is supported by

many scientific studies in

recent years. [11]

Properties

Scientists [ weasel words ]

have revealed that honey

has powerful anti-bacterial

properties on at least sixty

species of bacteria, and

unlike antibiotics, which are

often useless against

certain types of bacteria,

honey is non-toxic and has

strong effects. [5] "

Edited by HeftyCrab

From Velo News. Worked for me. The trick is the method rather than the name brands, the better you can afford, the quicker you will heal. I used Jellonet to keep the wound covered until the skin had grown back over. Got the fishnet at a chemist and this also worked well.

The poor man’s road rash kit Mild antibacterial liquid soap, Washcloth, Bottle of cheap generic Ibuprofen (Motrin IB) Triple Antibiotic Ointment (like Neosporin) Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) Thin Maxipads with non-adherent top layer (“dri-weave’) White drugstore ribbon tape Scissors Cheap support pantyhose in your size, and in a smaller size that fits your arm Clear fingernail polish Non-prescription topical anaestheticButterfly tapes

Feminine products for even the manliest athlete

Maxipads, pantyhose and nail polish?!?!?! Okay, okay. I admit it. Some of the stuff on the list sounds weird, but it works.

Here’s what to do with your road rash: First, see if there is an ambulance staged on scene with a crew that is willing to help you out. They may have plush supplies on the truck that they can use to clean and dress your wound.If there is no ambulance on scene, the first thing to do is take two to four 200mg ibuprofen with food 45 minutes prior to cleaning you wound. The maximum dose is 800mg every six hours and no more than 2400mg in 24 hours. Your pain tolerance will be maxed 45 minutes to one hour after you take the ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Don’t skimp on the ibuprofen if you’re in pain. It’s especially helpful right before bedtime so you can get some sleep. An hour before your scheduled start time the next day is another good time for ibuprofen.

Actually speaking of bad road rashes and burning like hell.

At one time in Zim during the mid 90s Hydrogen Peroxide was the magic cure all.

I had fallen badly of my MTB and had huge amounts of gravel in my arms and knee. my uncle held me down while my mom poured Peroxide into my wounds and the grit all fizzed and bubbled out. that is some of the worst pain that i have experienced.

Reading that made me wince.How well did that wound heal?

I had fallen badly of my MTB and had huge amounts of gravel in my arms and knee. my uncle held me down while my mom poured Peroxide into my wounds and the grit all fizzed and bubbled out. that is some of the worst pain that i have experienced.

My word. I am sure you had to change your undies after that

Jissis dude I recall when I was a young laaitie I stepped on a piece of rusty tin in the Alberton spruit and cut my foot, when I got home my Mom and Aunt took some peroxide from some or other hair kit thing and poured it in. Excrutiating as I recall, wore shoes whenever I left the front gate after that for some time :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Contrary to all the comments above, please keep your road rash wet, use any antiseptic cream to keep it most and let the roastie heal from the inside out. Use a plaster that you can shower with & change the plaster every day. This way you can keep riding without the nasty scabs that form every time you bend your knee, this just causes more scare tissue to build up and takes longer to heal.

Fool your body in thinking the skin is not broken and grazed, treat it like a burn wound. I've fallen more than once & I've tried every method possible contrary to what your parents told you when you were young!!

DO NOT DRY IT OUT!!!!!

my 5c worth any.......

ps watch all the pros at the big events how they have plasters over their road rash nothing exposed to dry out!!!

Whatever you do - do not get it wet! I use gentian violet - better than Mercurochrome. Do not pick at the scabs.

If you have deep sections best to use an antibacterial cream like Bactroban and keep it covered, use Opsite plaster to cover, for a day or two after which open it up and keep dry! Opsite lets it breath but it is fully waterproof.

No way! Unless you want some serious cars see my post!! Keep it wet with antiseptic cream and let the body heal from the inside out!

@2wheelsgood it healed pretty well considering. The problem was every single rugby season I would graze my elbows and knees again so got scars there regardless.

@flat29 I did.

@bennie ouch. I still wounded if it even does any good or just bubbles and fizzes for show. Anyway it was the Zim "wonder cure" during the 90s. Guys where even con'ed into drinking it mixed with water as a cancer cure.

Have to admitt we are nt the smartest bunch. But we prove drawin right often. Only the strong survive. Haha