Best cure for road rash?

You mean like Oscar? :ph34r: :ph34r:

LOL. Don't give the defence team ideas. Next thing the screams heard by the neighbours were Oscar applying merthyalate to his road rash at 3am...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically have two deeper wounds that are wet. One on the palm of my hand and one on the back of my shoulder.

If the deep spots are not too big, fill them with a thin layer of superglue - especially the one on your hand - this will keep it sterile and allow you to hold a handlebar - just make sure it is dry before touching anything.

You will need to re-apply it every couple of days - getting the glue wet reduces its hold, and it does crack a bit if it covers a big area.

You can use surgical superglue, but it's very expensive relative to good old Bostik... structurally they are the same.

I don't think so, pretty sure I got some recently. (then again that could be a couple years ago)

Didn't have any available, so I scrubbed mine out in the shower with a sponge, then had my wife apply Dettol to it.

Kind of wept for the first night, but dried up by Friday afternoon.

There are 2 products that use the Merthiolate brand name - one contains mercury, and is largely not in use anymore worldwide - the other is still available - both burn like hell.

There are 2 products that use the Merthiolate brand name - one contains mercury, and is largely not in use anymore worldwide - the other is still available - both burn like hell.

Ah cool. Thanks for clearing that up!

Growing up in Zim and going to boarding school they put Mercurochrome (Monkey Blood) or Gentian Violet on any cut or graze.

I swear if someone cut their head off the nurse would just put "Monkey Blood" on the person neck and stick the head back on. all would be good.

Anyway Mercurochrome worked a treat on the grazes we would get from our "lush" gravel rugby fields.

Best treatment is Granuflex dressing (it looks like a big plaster). Clean the wound, and stick over the whole area before scabs form. Moisture from the wound then activates the anti bacterial glue. Granuflex stays on for 2 weeks, letting the skin grow back underneath without ever forming a scab.

I have donated a lot of skin to the road surfaces in Gauteng since the 90s, this treatment worked best imo.

Actually speaking of bad road rashes and burning like hell.

At one time in Zim during the mid 90s Hydrogen Peroxide was the magic cure all.

I had fallen badly of my MTB and had huge amounts of gravel in my arms and knee. my uncle held me down while my mom poured Peroxide into my wounds and the grit all fizzed and bubbled out. that is some of the worst pain that i have experienced.

Dettol and a stiff bristled scrubbing brush and a bottle of whiskey.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Worked for me (scourer sponge instead of brush though)

The whiskey's for drinking right?

Best treatment is Granuflex dressing (it looks like a big plaster). Clean the wound, and stick over the whole area before scabs form. Moisture from the wound then activates the anti bacterial glue. Granuflex stays on for 2 weeks, letting the skin grow back underneath without ever forming a scab.

I have donated a lot of skin to the road surfaces in Gauteng since the 90s, this treatment worked best imo.

Ditto on this cure.

Also known as "wet healing".

It doesn't work well on bendy bits like elbows and knees but on flattish surfaces it's awesome. When you pull the plaster off after 2 weeks the skin below is pink and smooth - very little to no scarring...

What about those waterproof plasters? They come on different sizes and are usually applied after surgery to help cuts heal. Can't remember the name offhand (Opsite?)

Worked for me (scourer sponge instead of brush though)

The whiskey's for drinking right?

Pour on the wound, drink it at the same time. Along the lines of how the cowboys did it when digging out a bullet :devil:

Have used something similar before and it works well and also reduces the amount of scarring in the long term.

Only problem I see is that it wont be swim friendly.

Edited by SwissVan

3m make a large dressing that is breathable, waterproof and lasts for about three days per dressing. I used it on my elbow and forearm when I had the staples in. wonderful stuff. I could swim with it on.

available from dischem.