No GPS tracking allowed??

C2firm

Do they not know if its not on strava the ride never happened?

You can use the garmin just turn of satellite tracking and use the speed cadence power and heart rate.

If someone wants to ride trails illegally I highly doubt it not being on strava will stop them!

Create a new strava account with a new email address and upload it there. Then if they ban you it will be an effort and will never happen.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The organisers have the right to do what they want affording you the right to either agree and participate or not. That said I cannot follow an argument that somebody is searching for a route on Strava and plans to ride it through obviously private land. If they want to ride 'virgin' track Google earth will probably allow them to easily work out the details themselves. It seems like making the argument to ban lead because it could be used in bullets which could be shot from a gun which could ...

It's actually VERY EASY to follow such an arguement - especially when you have come face-to-face with riders telling you EXACTLY that!! They are trying to beat so-and-so's time on starva...hence riding that specific section of trail... :cursing: :cursing:

It's actually VERY EASY to follow such an arguement - especially when you have come face-to-face with riders telling you EXACTLY that!! They are trying to beat so-and-so's time on starva...hence riding that specific section of trail... :cursing: :cursing:

That makes no sense at all, you can't beat someones time that's doing a event like the Epic, those guys ride hours on end for days, no way you can challenge those times with fresh legs.

Seems a little ridiculous if you ask me, are they going to check everyone for a garmin/suunto/polar/smart phone/insert brand here that has satellite tracking on it, i am not riding cape epic, but i use my garmin to track my progress and performance for myself, heart rate etc

Poor form if you ask me

so its actually no gamins rather than no uploading? i don't think its that clear in the email. suggests to me no tracking the route/uploading rather than you cant use the garmin for other features

so its actually no gamins rather than no uploading? i don't think its that clear in the email. suggests to me no tracking the route/uploading rather than you cant use the garmin for other features

They have no difficulty with you using the garmin at all - at least they did not last year, but uploading route information for public consumption is not on - 90% of the riders will be using GPS capable devices.

In fact I suggest you SPECIFICALLY set up a screen that you can use if needed for emergency use with just your GPS co-ordinates, so you can tell a responder where exactly you are, then you can easily access it in an emergency, rather than trying to configure a screen on the fly when you need the info.

It is interesting that the live tracking is going to show the route anyway I guess.

Although they do publish the route in enough detail on paper for spectators to follow it,

So, you won't be able to use your GPS capable cell phones also? This makes absolutely no sense. The maps are published in great detail on the Epic websites during the race. So if you really want to ride the routes, you have all the info.

Methinks the real reason is a commercial one. Although people trespassing on private land irritates me. One of these days we won't be able to ride on the farms, and will only be able to ride on public land. Whatever is still left.

This rule has always been a rule. However it is not policed at all during the event and 90% of the riders use a Garmin and download the files afterwards. In fact there was a Garmin charging station last year. As for Strava, every bit of last year's race is on Strava, including times from most of the pros. Key point is people should not be using that data to ride on the "trails" after the event, it is after all private property.

Edited by Ville rider

Dont know why everyone is making a big fuss about this.

This is not a new rule.

You are allowed to use your Garmin/gps device.

You can upload it to wherever you like as long as you dont make it public.

That being said. every stage of last year is marked as a segment on Strava and more pro's than wannabees uploaded their files to Strava shortly after every stage.

Just mark it as private. Your GPS wont get checked - I dont use a speed/cadence sensor on the mtb, if I disable gps, I am riding around with a brick on my handlebar.

Edited by Tankman

If you're using Garmin 500s, 700s or 800s you can pretty much track everything except the geo coordinates with the GPS off. It will give you power, speed, distance, heart rate, altitude / elevation changes and temperature even with the GPS not enabled...

Might also be a bit of a media cordon, they don't want anyone and everyone being able to live stream their race stats/position/real time movements to the internet?

According to these rules if I was in the race could I stream my position real time to a website or some kind of media portal?

Because if you were an influential person or elite rider that would be quite a powerful thing to be able to do media wise, something I'm sure the race organizes want control over to maximize their returns on media licensing.

Well, I'm riding with my Garmin with GPS enabled, because that's the only way I can get speed and distance since I don't have a magnet on the wheel?