Rider in theatre after crash.

Wyatt Earp

I feel it's important to bring this to the attention of the people and cyclists out there.

We have a very good friend who is being operated on at the moment as a result of negligence on a contractors side.

The last we heard it was reported that he has fractures in the forehead, a broken eye socket and a broken nose.

He cut through both of his eyelids and the eye has now dropped down in to the hole.

This is a pic of him with his good eye, the story to follow in post number two.

post-4100-0-98850800-1395818491_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The story as follows :

We were out yesterday morning for our 5 am. ride as we have done every Tuesday and Thursday for the past 10 years or so.

One of my friends next to me hit what sounded like a pole.

Next I heard was someone screaming in pain, we immediately turned back and found our other friend lying on the ground, he was in absolute agony and there was a massive amount of blood all over his body.

The impact to his face was immediately evident.

We started assessing the situation and found that someone planted two poles and inserted a metal bar running crossways (very much like rugby posts) right across the pathway.

Our friend hit this with a full impact.

We contacted his wife who was there within 5 minutes and she took him straight to hospital where he has been in hi-care since yesterday.

The moral of the story, please be carful out there, be on the lookout for anything and let's not assume that our paths and tracks are the same they have always been.

Yes this has been an unfortunate incident, and there will be a police case opened, at this stage all we can think is that it was either the start of an illegal sign or even perhaps a booby trap.

I am starting to lean towards booby trap, and my reasons as follows.

The holes were very poorly dug and hardy deep enough to support any metal pole, the poles have been removed and we see no evidence at the scene of the incident.

This picture as taken by Nathrix yesterday morning.

post-4100-0-08602000-1395819064_thumb.jpg

I went back this morning on the motorbike, rode around for around 40 minutes just trying to find the poles or who might have done this.

This is what it looks like this morning.

post-4100-0-69608600-1395819599_thumb.jpg

wow, that is hectic. We had an oke ride into a chain at a gate at speed in one of our adventure races last year, he got very lucky, and even though it's just a funny video it was quite a reality check.

Good luck for his recovery and your follow up, sounds very bizarre

wow, that is hectic. We had an oke ride into a chain at a gate at speed in one of our adventure races last year, he got very lucky, and even though it's just a funny video it was quite a reality check.

Good luck for his recovery and your follow up, sounds very bizarre

You know this guy as well.

Surely somebody must have seen something . It looks to be fairly busy area ?

Not really busy enough to be able to get witnesses.

We have hundreds of cars through that road in the mornings, and it's just motorists.

What we would have to hope for is that one of these motorists will "hopefully" see our tweets and posts and give some info. (this however I realise is a pie in the sky wish)

The story as follows :

We were out yesterday morning for our 5 am. ride as we have done every Tuesday and Thursday for the past 10 years or so.

One of my friends next to me hit what sounded like a pole.

Next I heard was someone screaming in pain, we immediately turned back and found our other friend lying on the ground, he was in absolute agony and there was a massive amount of blood all over his body.

The impact to his face was immediately evident.

We started assessing the situation and found that someone planted two poles and inserted a metal bar running crossways (very much like rugby posts) right across the pathway.

Our friend hit this with a full impact.

We contacted his wife who was there within 5 minutes and she took him straight to hospital where he has been in hi-care since yesterday.

The moral of the story, please be carful out there, be on the lookout for anything and let's not assume that our paths and tracks are the same they have always been.

Yes this has been an unfortunate incident, and there will be a police case opened, at this stage all we can think is that it was either the start of an illegal sign or even perhaps a booby trap.

I am starting to lean towards booby trap, and my reasons as follows.

The holes were very poorly dug and hardy deep enough to support any metal pole, the poles have been removed and we see no evidence at the scene of the incident.

This picture as taken by Nathrix yesterday morning.

post-4100-0-08602000-1395819064_thumb.jpg

Looks like it has been possibly knocked down by a vehicle judging by the tyre marks on the sand?

I think we should go ask the security of that complex there if they maybe see or know anything.

I will ask the guards at our gate if they know anything.

Can you blame the contactors?

The photos clearly show the poles were errected off the road and off the designated pavement/walkway. How are they to know that someone would be cycling there.

It looks as if they were going to errect some sort of sign.

Can you blame the contactors?

The photos clearly show the poles were errected off the road and off the designated pavement/walkway. How are they to know that someone would be cycling there.

It looks as if they were going to errect some sort of sign.

Yes we can.

That thing was erected right over the walkway, a path used by runners, pedestrians as well as cyclists.

Secondly, the JMPD of Midrand don't allow any signs to be constructed on pavements .

And that pavement is much wider than what you can see from the images.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Looks like possible signage, ja.

But looking at the stopstreet in the back it looks like the "new signage" would have sevearly limited the drivers ability to see vehicles comming from the right.

So, the placement of the signage would be illegal if erected.

if it was smaller I would say it is a "Keep of the grass" sign......