WTF happened to DIB/First option on The Hub!

LOUDMAC

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some deals good, some bad, there will always be some of this nature. I have dibs or pm the seller on many occasions and had good dealings.

I guess it comes down to the nature of the person you are dealing with.

Can't you already leave feedback for buyers?

Yes you can.

The ratings are vitally important!!!! Everyone should try their best to fill them out. It is the only way of assuring a seller/buyers integrity.

I am interested in a fork but the seller has no rating. Immediately puts doubts in my mind which in all liklihood will determine whether I buy or don't. Just not worth the risk, I'm in PE and he is in PTA.

Agreed.

Most of the time I'm just looking for an easy sale to get rid of some stuff laying around. So the person with cash in hand willing to collect gets the item 9 times out of ten. I have been bitten many times by holding a sale for a guy, answering thousands of questions, doing research for a buyer (because they don't know if its right for them, but then sale is on hold for them), umming and ahhing... when there are other people literally begging and offering higher prices just so they can collect.

I hope I wasn't a difficult sale ;)

In all fairness the amount of scammers on the net has severely curtailed my ability to buy items on the hub, living in the platteland as I do. The buyer ratings are important for buyers like me, to prove my honesty., which is BS because I've never had to prove that before, but I do understand.

If someone calls dibs, then give them a reasonable period of time to conclude the deal (what is a reasonable time period). Also sellers, I never call dibs unless I'm 98% sure that I'll buy said item, but if I'm making inquiries, about it, I'm not wasting your time gratuitously, but am seriously interested in the item, and it would be great to let me know that it's been sold. It seriously pisses me off when you are finding out about the item, and the seller, BTW, because I'll always pay first, and suddenly the ad is gone without any notification.

"Dibs" is one of those pointless "hubberisms".

Another favourite, yet useless response, in reply to a bike or frame being advertised, "how much does it weigh?", only for the seller never to hear from the inquirer again.

Both show misleading, but marginal, interest without any effort.

The integrity is often broken by the buyer, who never pitches or as some have said the item isn't exacting and the seller loses out. The OP makes out that buyers are never at fault and that calling dibs is a stone clad contract, one they often break but whine when the shoe is on the other foot. Calling dibs does not guarantee the sale for the buyer imo - agreeing a deal in person or in private is a different matter. But calling dibs ....

read my statement, it had gone beyond DIBS. Emails and confirmation were all but set in stone. If the shoes fit, excuse the pun, the sale was on. What's so difficult about that for you to grasp!

I will bring this to Admin's attention. Maybe a buyer rating would also be good, or a comments section on how potential buyers have treated you as the seller.

Can't you already leave feedback for buyers?

Yes you can.

The ratings are vitally important!!!! Everyone should try their best to fill them out. It is the only way of assuring a seller/buyers integrity.

I am interested in a fork but the seller has no rating. Immediately puts doubts in my mind which in all liklihood will determine whether I buy or don't. Just not worth the risk, I'm in PE and he is in PTA.

Yip can leave buyer feedback .. LONGTIME :thumbup:

Sorry cash is king, often people says DIBS and no show.....

Also another annoying question is "How much did you pay for it?"

hoenstly its for sale how much i payed for it should not be the buyers concern......maybe thats just me.

Easy one

Dibs means jack...I actually make sure to comment in any sale that I do that "dibs" won't secure. "I will take it" does. That then means the ball is in the buyer's court to perform payment. Also people negotiating doesnt secure. If someone is trying to haggle via a pm, and someone else posts a "i will take it" on the ad, he wins, and I inform the person haggling that he has lost the item.

Easy one

Dibs means jack...I actually make sure to comment in any sale that I do that "dibs" won't secure. "I will take it" does. That then means the ball is in the buyer's court to perform payment. Also people negotiating doesnt secure. If someone is trying to haggle via a pm, and someone else posts a "i will take it" on the ad, he wins, and I inform the person haggling that he has lost the item.

For me DIBS means DUDE!! I BUY STUFF<>I WILL TAKE IT.. apparently for some pms mean more than any wording on the ad... :thumbdown:

Edited by 2Nutz

read my statement, it had gone beyond DIBS. Emails and confirmation were all but set in stone. If the shoes fit, excuse the pun, the sale was on. What's so difficult about that for you to grasp!

Im only responding to your topic - of WTF happened to calling dibs. I also stated more than once agreeing a sale is something different. The statement was in response to someone else and I have read your statement(s) as have many maybe you should acknowledge the common theme. By your own admission you weren't 100% sure the shoe would fit and you would take it yet you expected the person to forgo a definite sale?