WTF happened to DIB/First option on The Hub!

LOUDMAC

Dibs, Schmibs.

If you give the seller a call and an agreement is reached that an item will be kept. Then he or she can be considered a scoundrel for not honour the agreement. But the seller is not obliged keep it on ice just because you have the fastest fingers.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither should the seller wait around for the buyer if there is one on hand. Regarding the stolen bike I think I know who he is referring to and the bike was indeed stolen and the buyer left with no bike or money.

Void the dibs?

Are you seriously suggesting someone lose a sale because some random person wrote dips on an internet forum?

no I'm saying we had been in email discussions. I wanted the item on condition they fit. Asked for a meeting point ASAP to close the deal, got no response so followed up twice in a couple hours, to meet to fit and pay.....in cash!

No I don't expect seller to sit around waiting, but if a deal is in progress and a third party steps in, at least give the first buyer the option to settle immediately or forego the deal

This is standard business practice, at least in the first world!

No matter if it's $10 or $1000000

He'll the seller could even counter with an auction in public on the ad. Then the seller is the winner and the person willing to pay the most goes home happy!

First one to pay gets the item, i'm not interested in Dibs....

Agreed.

Most of the time I'm just looking for an easy sale to get rid of some stuff laying around. So the person with cash in hand willing to collect gets the item 9 times out of ten. I have been bitten many times by holding a sale for a guy, answering thousands of questions, doing research for a buyer (because they don't know if its right for them, but then sale is on hold for them), umming and ahhing... when there are other people literally begging and offering higher prices just so they can collect.

I recently sold a bike on here and almost lost the sale due to waiting for guys who had first refusal. Fortunately still made the sale but the point is to inform potential buyers that they are either in a queue or that it's cash is king. And then to mark your advert as sold once it has been sold!!

Yeah.

Was looking into some Zipp 404 FireCrest

Had 1st option when i offered to buy sending a PM and commenting on the ad saying 1st option.

Seller said 'gone already'.

Some understand the notion

Some just don't get it

Edited by ' Dale

Just had a very pleasant exchange with a hubber in CT where I just could not get through to him for a week or two and he held onto his word and took my word that the deal would go through.

All in all a good deal.

Was looking for the add now to give a positive comment on his sellers profile, but I see it has been removed.

Andries, if you are reading this please let me know the add no. and I can make the appropriate rating for you.

You don't need the ad reference to give a rating. Click on hubber's profile and go to 'Marketplace' to give rating,but this cam only be done on desktop version.

Well, this has been fun, but I have work to do. I'll just buy other rd shoes from a reliable dealer. Money will be well spent.

no I'm saying we had been in email discussions. I wanted the item on condition they fit. Asked for a meeting point ASAP to close the deal, got no response so followed up twice in a couple hours, to meet to fit and pay.....in cash!

No I don't expect seller to sit around waiting, but if a deal is in progress and a third party steps in, at least give the first buyer the option to settle immediately or forego the deal

He'll the seller could even counter with an auction in public on the ad. Then the seller is the winner and the person willing to pay the most goes home happy!

Aah, but there's one of your major arguments flaws, ' I wanted it on the condition that the item fits '. So what happens if the Hubber turns down a valid cash offer for something because you said 'I'm going to take it', then you get there and decide you don't like it and he's lost another sale.

There's another old saying " money talks, b&llshit walks "

Dibs, Schmibs.

If you give the seller a call and an agreement is reached that an item will be kept. Then he or she can be considered a scoundrel for not honour the agreement. But the seller is not obliged keep it on ice just because you have the fastest fingers.

Loudmac brings to light a huge challenge, not just to the hub, but to any online selling. Integrity.

And as Loumac points out, integrity is somewhat lacking, or should I say, it is more obviously lacking than it was in the past.

But to this post, what is the difference between someone saying dibs, and agreeing to buying the item via PM and email exchange as opposed to a phone call?

If the notion is that deals can only be done via cell phone, then should Admin make it compulsory for a cell number to be listed in order for your add to be uploaded. This has some security concerns obviously, and I would have reservations.

Whilst dibs may not mean much - if someone says that want something, then sell it like that and if the guy does not pay by a certain time then show a negative rating as a buyer, and let the second in line know he has a deal. Integrity and open communication. Simple

What is it then you are complaining about - calling dibs or have someone back out of a deal? Two different things

Like I said before if I cant make it to the place in the next day or two I offer a small deposit to secure the sale. The seller, like many, could have had people back out after calling dips and is stuck up the creek without a paddle.

I also disagree with it being standard practice, in fact standard practice is exactly the opposite. Ever trying calling dibs when buying a house?

Aah, but there's one of your major arguments flaws, ' I wanted it on the condition that the item fits '. So what happens if the Hubber turns down a valid cash offer for something because you said 'I'm going to take it', then you get there and decide you don't like it and he's lost another sale.

There's another old saying " money talks, b&llshit walks "

So what you are saying, is that money is more important than being fair and honest ? Rather then in your advert say, only want the cash, don't waste my time trying size.

Person 1 is interested, but needs to confirm the size. Nothing wrong with that. As a seller you should let Person 2 know that someone else is going to try the size. Should person 2 offer to pay immediately and size checking is not an issue, and you go with person 2 and not 1, what happens to being fair and honest ?

I suppose it comes down to the seller as an individual, if money is the most important thing then no amount of honesty, fairness etc etc will change the way money is chased at all costs. Nothing wrong with that IF that's they way you want to do it.

This is also where the seller, buyer rating system should work. Rate sellers, let others know how they do business.

Loudmac brings to light a huge challenge, not just to the hub, but to any online selling. Integrity.

And as Loumac points out, integrity is somewhat lacking, or should I say, it is more obviously lacking than it was in the past.

But to this post, what is the difference between someone saying dibs, and agreeing to buying the item via PM and email exchange as opposed to a phone call?

If the notion is that deals can only be done via cell phone, then should Admin make it compulsory for a cell number to be listed in order for your add to be uploaded. This has some security concerns obviously, and I would have reservations.

Whilst dibs may not mean much - if someone says that want something, then sell it like that and if the guy does not pay by a certain time then show a negative rating as a buyer, and let the second in line know he has a deal. Integrity and open communication. Simple

The integrity is often broken by the buyer, who never pitches or as some have said the item isn't exacting and the seller loses out. The OP makes out that buyers are never at fault and that calling dibs is a stone clad contract, one they often break but whine when the shoe is on the other foot. Calling dibs does not guarantee the sale for the buyer imo - agreeing a deal in person or in private is a different matter. But calling dibs ....

What is it then you are complaining about - calling dibs or have someone back out of a deal? Two different things

Like I said before if I cant make it to the place in the next day or two I offer a small deposit to secure the sale. The seller, like many, could have had people back out after calling dips and is stuck up the creek without a paddle.

I also disagree with it being standard practice, in fact standard practice is exactly the opposite. Ever trying calling dibs when buying a house?

I think in house sale lingo it is called the first right of refusal, not sure.

On a house the first person to sign the offer to purchase has the deal (providing they have the finance).

Dibs, used, to mean the same thing.

The integrity is often broken by the buyer, who never pitches or as some have said the item isn't exacting and the seller loses out. The OP makes out that buyers are never at fault and that calling dibs is a stone clad contract, one they often break but whine when the shoe is on the other foot. Calling dibs does not guarantee the sale for the buyer imo - agreeing a deal in person or in private is a different matter. But calling dibs ....

Have to agree, buyers integrity is a huge thing. When the auctions ran over Christmas the number of people who bid, but did not pay was ugly!

But maybe I am naive (most likely), but dibs and agreeing to a deal in pm or over the phone, is one and the same. If someone says dibs, they have x amount of time to pay, or it goes to the next person.

Again, rating, and giving an explanation for the rating to buyers and sellers will make things easier.

Just had a very pleasant exchange with a hubber in CT where I just could not get through to him for a week or two and he held onto his word and took my word that the deal would go through.

All in all a good deal.

Was looking for the add now to give a positive comment on his sellers profile, but I see it has been removed.

Andries, if you are reading this please let me know the add no. and I can make the appropriate rating for you.

Thanks Hairy!!

In today's murky world of shady deals etc etc....RATINGS are all we can go on...so please rate the guy appropriately!!