WTF happened to DIB/First option on The Hub!

LOUDMAC

I think in house sale lingo it is called the first right of refusal, not sure.

On a house the first person to sign the offer to purchase has the deal (providing they have the finance).

Dibs, used, to mean the same thing.

Dibs means calling first option - in your example both parties sign an agreement. But like you said (providing they have finance) in this case the buyer wasn't even sure the item fitted (same as calling dibs without finance).

The difference is dibs didn't guarantee a sale for the seller but only gave the buyer first option (in his mind)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no I'm saying we had been in email discussions. I wanted the item on condition they fit. Asked for a meeting point ASAP to close the deal, got no response so followed up twice in a couple hours, to meet to fit and pay.....in cash!

No I don't expect seller to sit around waiting, but if a deal is in progress and a third party steps in, at least give the first buyer the option to settle immediately or forego the deal

This is standard business practice, at least in the first world!

No matter if it's $10 or $1000000

He'll the seller could even counter with an auction in public on the ad. Then the seller is the winner and the person willing to pay the most goes home happy!

aaah...so there was a slight chance that item(s) coupld perhaps not fit and the seller would be stuck with them after you'd walk away not taking it??

The guy probably soild it outright (i.e. no conditions attached..) to your competing bidder...I cannot really blame him...

Had it a few times these ghost PM,s that happen off AD when youv'e already Dibs'dDDDD...

Whats the point of the AD then and the correspondance..... ie .. clarity and verification of whats actually going on to all the potential buyers...

Bunchofcobblers.... :thumbdown:

Had it a few times these ghost PM,s that happen off AD when youv'e already Dibs'dDDDD...

Whats the point of the AD then and the correspondance..... ie .. clarity and verification of whats actually going on to all the potential buyers...

Bunchofcobblers.... :thumbdown:

integrity and open communication

Agree that the first person to pay gets the goods BUT if the buyer has already made arrangements to collect and pay in cash and the seller then still goes ahead and sells to someone else is just plain BS! It's not calling Dibs, the sale has already been agreed to and it's just a matter of collecting and paying

AND WHEN A "BUYER" GIVES YOU THE RUN AROUND FOR 2 WEEKS AND YOU LOOSE THE SALE, IF I

WANT SOMETHING I CALL GET BANKING DETAILS HIT A EFT AND SEND A DRIVER,,,EASY ITS 2014 ITS NOT A HUB ISSUE ITS A FACT OF MODERN DAY LIFE, PEOPLES WORDS MEAN LESS THAN SHIIT THESE DAYS MONEY TALKS BULLSHHEET WALKS,,,,,

Both times this has happened to me the seller wasn't interested in an EFT - cash is king and that's what they wanted, both times the seller was in Pretoria and I'm in Jhb BUT travel to Pretoria almost every second day for work. A bit of a *** feeling when you arrive at the agreed place at the agreed time and sms the seller asking where he is only to be told that they sold to someone else.

These okes that are all about the money,,.. dont want your crap anyways ..cause if there is a issue with said part .. might be drawing blood from a stone to get cash back out your tight ass... if you just about the cash.. :) ;)

Then you get the clown that will enquire about the item, make arrangements to come through and view the item and then call back later and tell you that he needs to just run it by his wife first..... Maybe you should have done that first assclown.

Cash in hand is worth a lot more than a telephonic promise. I have been disappointed too many times. I make it clear from the beginning. There is no Dibs. If you really want the item, then do the EFT, send me proof of payment and I will guarantee the item is yours. If it is sold locally, first person to put the cash in my hand secures.

I've had a couple of items on the hub to be sold. Some people never reply and even if you send msgs or phone...ikona... no response...so i would say that if the buyer is really interested make arrangements to meet same night or eft money asap. If you are really interested don't think to long because it will be gone even if you used dips....CASH has always been KING O yes....Please rate the guys man.... Gives you confidence to buy from him again

Edited by Wolfie1

Ye i dont agree with dibsing something to wait 2 weeks.. if i dibs something I WANT IT .. AS IN NOW IF YOU AS the SELLER can deliver before i can FETCH....

I dont need you to nurture it ... if dibs is not payed/or responded too in 2 days... i move to next..

Edited by 2Nutz

Both times this has happened to me the seller wasn't interested in an EFT - cash is king and that's what they wanted, both times the seller was in Pretoria and I'm in Jhb BUT travel to Pretoria almost every second day for work. A bit of a *** feeling when you arrive at the agreed place at the agreed time and sms the seller asking where he is only to be told that they sold to someone else.

THATS WRONG ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LEVEL

I concur. I've held items before on a dibs only for the guy to sms the day before he was due to take delivery and pay ( a week later, waiting for payday) and then the buyer cancels. You phone back the previous cash buyer you turned down, but guess what? With their cash, they've already bought something else.

Sale is concluded when payment is made. I've explained this clearly and politely to anyone who claims dibs on an item I am selling: "I will hold it for you, and you are first in the queue of dibs callers, but please understand that I cannot turn down a cash offer between now and when you are ready to buy it."

Even worse is someone who calls dibs, says they'll definitely take it tomorrow/Friday/payday, and then tries to offer you 40% less than the asking price on the future date, while you've been turning down other people because someone called dibs.

Indeed, dibs schmibs.

indeed dibs schmibs, BUT, you communicated with the buyers letting them know that cash is king. Nothing wrong with that.

To bring it back to the OP, the water gets severely muddied when trying to buy items where size is important.

Dibs doesn't count for anything IMHO. I had a buyer who PM'd me an offer which I accepted. Turned down other people because he promised to come around in a few days time to pay and collect (item was new, so condition not in dispute). I called him after a few days, no answer - then got a text saying he was on a farm and doesn't get good cellphone reception but that he would definitely collect in two days. Contacted him again, only to find out that he now has finance issues and no longer wants the item.

For me it'll now be the first guy that pays gets the item. I will however let other potential buyers who planned to view the item know that it has been sold.

I will repeat - if you cant come on the day or next few days just pay a good faith deposited of R100 or R200 (depending on item) The guy will know you are serious and will hold the item. If he does not you have a leg to stand on ... a stronger one that "I called dibs"