[Event] Darling Brew Extreme MTB Challenge

Darling Brew Extreme MTB

My time with the 54 km that I did put me on 9th . I would have placed in the 60's range if I did the whole route, sooooo frustrating not to be able to compere my effort with the guys that did the full route - hey the 9th place looks good

Frustrating for sure. Likely that 12km would take about 36mins for a fast rider averaging 20kphr. But that's just a guess as it depends on what part of the course is missing.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those last climbs will impact overall time for sure. No way to extrapolate total time. Fatigue etc a factor as well.

Those last climbs will impact overall time for sure. No way to extrapolate total time. Fatigue etc a factor as well.

For sure. If those two big climbs are missing then it would be much longer.

Awesome race!  Did it last year as well and must say the new route was much more fun and better in my view as you did not double back on sections like last year :thumbup:

I just wish they would have said it was 66km and not 62km  :ph34r:  it makes a hell of a difference if you're stuck in single speed mode due to a mechanical on 58km thinking you only have 4km to go but then turns out to be 8km :cursing:

But hell who needs gears anyway :P

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/wacza/Misc/Forum%20Posts/20150530_113134.jpg

I don't remember people going off course last year but this year there seem to be a lot of people that did. Maybe it's the new course.

It makes the results pretty meaningless as the guys that only did 54km are listed in the overall results. My GPS had the course at 66km. This is always a problem when you run multiple distance races at similar times. Something for the organizers to think about for next year. Love this race and will be back next year.

Well that explains some of the names I know that is ahead of me on results but normally finishes way behind at races

Anyhow, great race non the less. Really enjoyed it and will be back next year

Had a great time overall. No real problems on the 42km for me - just the congestion on ST was only issue but I think it was better than last year.

But I don't get why the 42 needed the extra 6km added on to last year's route. It was all dirt road with just a single climb and it was a bit boring - not really challenging enough to warrant being added on imo. Oh well, had a couple of chats to some other riders to pass the time.

Had a few beers afterwards with a couple of mushroom skewers (so good!) - enjoy the post-race environment at this race and everyone is pretty friendly. Oh, except for the old dude giving the young guy handling the bike wash a hard time. What a complete wanker - they were obviously overwhelmed and couldn't get to all the bikes in time - they weren't there to give you priority service.... 

Seems the 42km results are also dodgy. Might have made a top 20 from the second batch... If I close my eyes and forget the fast people did the 63km, I feel quite good about that! :)

Great race. Awesome route and something different having the tough climbs towards the end. Took the bold tactic of pushing from the start to avoid getting held up on the singletrack. I paid dearly for that when the cramp set in in the last 10km and the having to stop and stretch a few times with people streaming past. No regrets. Great vibe at the finish too with lots of food options. Also the fact that they had showers was great (should be a prerequisite at all races).

Hope the guy that took a big fall on the downhill just before the last big climb is ok. Didn't look good. A few of those "jumps" had a bit of a kicker.

Also feel bad for the guy who had a bakkie re-end him at the road crossing. Assume the Marshall stopped the traffic for a rider to cross and the bakkie behind wasn't paying attention. Bikes, bike rack and car looked like they came off second best.

DBX 2016 will definitely be on the calendar.

Did the 42km this year instead of the Bone Crusher. Very nice change in route but missed out on some of the cool ST. Overall a great event which I'll certainly support again next year. Race village was awesome and a leap ahead of other similar events. Well done guys!!

What soured my day though was the way some idiots drove on the way to the event. We're all obviously going to the same place (bikes strapped to the cars) with a common goal of enjoying the day, but the way some knobs flaunted traffic laws and common sense by speeding and overtaking blindly in the dark rainy and misty conditions borders on insanity. And for what? A better parking spot? Come on!

No wonder so many people are killed on our roads with these criminal morons. Worst thing is that they are amongst my brethren in this sport we all love.

Sorry, rant over.

Well that explains some of the names I know that is ahead of me on results but normally finishes way behind at races

Anyhow, great race non the less. Really enjoyed it and will be back next year

You might find some were riders that bailed out of the long route due to health, fitness, mechanical issues

Also feel bad for the guy who had a bakkie re-end him at the road crossing. Assume the Marshall stopped the traffic for a rider to cross and the bakkie behind wasn't paying attention. Bikes, bike rack and car looked like they came off second best.

Yup, three properly specced bikes on a Thule carrier and a Volvo. Loads of damage there..

I loved this race. I'm one of those people who very very seldom gets cold as I'm from the Free state and even there was an ice bear :)

So usually i almost feel like dying and end up drinking 8litres of fluid on the Argus but still lose 4kg doing it.

Yesterday was awesome, did the 42km with the wife (took 03:32 as she struggled a bit towards the end) but I never felt fatigued at all, would ride all events in this temperature if I could! Just feel so sorry for the bike, had to do the last 5km in one gear as my derailleurs packed up from riding through all the mud pushing the wife along.

Took me more than 4hrs cleaning our bikes today, wish I cleaned them yesterday after the race!!

Just finished cleaning my bike, new cables though(not from the race only but the mud was the final nail)

Was an awesome day out... where can we see pics of the race.. i know they mentioned where but can't remember what they said... :ph34r:

My time with the 54 km that I did put me on 9th . I would have placed in the 60's range if I did the whole route, sooooo frustrating not to be able to compere my effort with the guys that did the full route - hey the 9th place looks good

That explains a few things. I'm 15th on results but I was 6th or 7th over the line. I was thinking hell the was clearly some guys way faster in the later stating groups... even with the traffic?!

Oh, I ended up starting in A... paid off going early and querying my original C seeding, they changed it with no fuss at all  :clap:

Brilliant day out, great atmosphere and the organizers learned from last year and improved in some key areas! This one is going to be a must do on the calendar for a while.  :thumbup:

To me it looks as if the results are lined up according to fastest time & not who crossed the line first. Yes I know there is the odd discrepancy of some guys taking the short cut back home but I know of at least 2 who started in later groups & rode fast times for the day this pushing the A group guys further down & their previous results can back them up as super fast riders.

Archived