Titan lost the plot

Lord Catapult

I walked into Finish Line Cycles in Edenvale recently, best bike shop in Johannesburg. To be greeted by a beauty, the new top spec Titan Carbon 29er Ultimate. It looked great and has some great components, full XX1, SRAM carbon wheels and RockShox SID XX. Then I saw the price...almost 60k.

It looked a bit high, until I saw the beauty standing a few bikes away, a Momsen Vipa. Specs are almost the same, XX1 with front and rear suspension provided by Fox CTD and ZTR Crest wheels. And price...only 49k.

Then I knew it, Titan lost the plot. I much rather have the Vipa. It just is a beter bike, not even mentioning the 10k you will save by buying one

Surely the Sram carbon wheels are a tad more expensive than ZTR crests? No idea of what they go for though, compared to the roughly R7k of ZTR crests (depending on the hubs)...

EDit: see now the Titan is hardtail.

Edited by dre

As far as I know, the Vipa standing there has XT spec for R49k. Massive difference in price between XX1 and XT. Also those carbon wheels are in the region of R 20k. A Vipa with similar spec was at the bike show last year for R90k.

And then go weigh the 2. The Vipa is round 11kg's vs the Titan at under 8kg's.

And don't get me wrong...........I like the Vipa..........but you gotta compare apples with apples. The Titan has a solid fork as well........so really depends what you buying either bike for.

I walked into Finish Line Cycles in Edenvale Kempton Park recently, best bike shop in Johannesburg.

Fixed, but agree with your statement of best bike shop.

Awesome bike!! Pricey but nice.

This is obviously a pro bike.

Titan are value for money so I'm sure you are getting a lot of bike for that price.

personally I'd take the Vipa, but that's just cos it's cool!

Just look at the Titan Carbon pro for the value:

http://www.titanracingbikes.com/carbon29rpro.html

for about R26000

Edited by Warren911