How important is it to have a coach?

Hi,

I'm an average cyclist riding for about 2 years (both road and MTB). I race every week or second week during the PPA spring and summer seasons.

I've done quite a few mountain bike races and some 3 days stage races too.

My cycling goal is simple: TO MAXIMIZE MY PROGRESS IN CYCLING PERFORMANCE VIA TRAINING.

Like most people, I have limited time, work, have young children etc.

While I'll continue to do mountain bike races during the winter and then focus on road races during spring and summer, my focus is on improving my Argus time as much as possible and I'd like to start preparing for Argus 2015 now. I've done a time of 3h25 this year and I'd like to aim at a sub-3 next year.

I've approached 2 coaches on separate occasions and worked with each one for a few months but I've been let down. They tend not to provide me with my programs on time and I feel the feedback and attention I should be getting is lacking.

Monthly coaching fees don't come cheap and I'm at the point where I'm thinking that perhaps the best thing for me to do is get Joe Friel's Training Bible, educate myself and compile my own training program. The same way that nobody can manage your money better than yourself - is this the same approach I should be taking towards cycling.

I must emphasize that I don't want my training to be in vein or simply go out and ride with the hope of improving. I want to improve and I want it to be measured.

My questions are two-fold:

1. How important is it to have a coach if I want to improve?

2. If you think it is important then please recommend coaches (with their contact details) preferably based in the Southern Suburbs or CBD area in Cape Town.

Thank you.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand doing a sub 3 in the Argus is seriously seriously difficult and no cyclist who achieves this is average! I really want to do this http://www.cadencecycling.co.za/ as they have great coaches and programmes but their location (Tygervalley) and class times dont suit

Good luck with your goals!

Edited by CleatsnCleavage

1. It's not that important to have a coach but it does keep you in check if you do - you are then responsible to report back to them with your ride data.

That being said, if you have a group of mates you ride with, who are stronger than you, it should up your training efforts and make you stronger.

2. There is a coach - Pelotrain I think - who a few hubbers use. PM MTBRoadie and he can put you in contact.

btw I don't have a coach but have a great group of mates who do weekend rides together - and push each other hard at times!

p.s. Done a sub3 Argus - it's just another milestone. Enjoy the rides and the time will come.

Edited by Tiny K

I would start with Joe Friel's Training Bible and if you feel you need more then go with a coach.

I have been doing Cadence for some time now. While it is in a group environment (think spinning class), and everyone is performing the same tasks to their ability, I still feel that the classes are tailored and more than just a bike ride. The training blocks are usually setup around specific races and the input from my/our coach is invaluable. The deal sealer for me is that there is no way I can consistently push myself as hard on my own versus in the classes.

I'm not selling my version of coach to anyone else's, rather stating that coach, combined with structured traing program vs self training, works best for me.

contact mytrainingday, they are based there in Cpt, super professional.. you get your programs on time, can call them anytime for advise.. would have got me through my first IM this weekend if I wasn't taken out by a car..

did my first triathlon last year October and did my first half ironman in 5:36 with their coaching, did the buffels ultra in 5:14 I think it was, their coaching REALLY helps..

the best is it takes the guessing and doubt about over and undertraining away..

1) Never had a coach

2) Has sub 3 Argus.

Very little people with only 2 years in their legs manage a Sub 3 Argus. My advice is to ride for another year or two at your own, ride as much as you can and see how far you can get on your own, and THEN go see a coach.

Ride on POWER makes a big difference if you know what you are doing or have a coach.

You really dont need a coach, most people that have a coach, seems to use them for not being able to be slack. ie to check up on them, and if they cheat, they feel guilty.

you seem determined, well then you i'd guess you will be disciplined.

1. Get a powermeter

2. Read training and racing with a powermeter

3. Do a test determining your power profile (you'll know what that is when you start reading the above book)

4. Determine your fatigue profile (again, you'll understand once started reading)

5. Develop a plan according to your short comings as determined.

6. Get Cyclist training bible from friel to get additional training program for specific workouts. (again addressing your short comings)

7. Ride your bike more. 15-20% and you will be better.

I really like this question. I would like to know from Hubbers that actually have trainers; comparing identical races - how much did your times improve in the first and second years (vs. pre- trainer).

1. It's not that important to have a coach but it does keep you in check if you do - you are then responsible to report back to them with your ride data.

That being said, if you have a group of mates you ride with, who are stronger than you, it should up your training efforts and make you stronger.

2. There is a coach - Pelotrain I think - who a few hubbers use. PM MTBRoadie and he can put you in contact.

I agree. Ride with faster guys, and keep trying to stay with them for longer and longer.

Also, learn to listen to your body, and ride easy when you need to and bend the iron while it's hot.

And Pelotrain? Very good outfit. PM me if you want John's number.

Edited by Cellar