Hard line on "white sport" - what effects on our sport?

The Guy in Pink

With all the development riders SACF subsidized in the late 1990's and early 2000's SA shouldn't have a problem, all those talented youngsters should have allot of experience by now.

If they were 17 years old then, they'll be 30 now, almost ready for retirement. :ph34r:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the development riders SACF subsidized in the late 1990's and early 2000's SA shouldn't have a problem, all those talented youngsters should have allot of experience by now.

LOL

Eish, foot in mouth again. Seems to be rather prevalent by our so called leaders.

The African National Corruption only have themselves to blame. Instead of looting every single coffer they could find including a lot of sports coffers, Spending that money 20 years ago at grassroots level would have ensured that today, we have sporting codes that are reflective of today's society.

Doing absolutely sweet FA for that long and then blaming the sporting codes when they hardly have enough participants is pure posturing and playing to a political audience.

Fikile............you are the weakest link.

Edited by Thug

Gary Player is coloured? :eek:

no, I have heard him talk about Sewgolum beating him in 1965 just for this poor guy having to collect his trophy outdoors in the rain as he was not allowed in the club house! the news was not allowed to be published as he was an indian.

Fikile............you are the weakest link.

Why are you being so complementary to this guy? :ph34r:

I have just finished reading Mark Boucher's book (a great read btw). He discusses quotas quite a bit and really makes sense in what he says. He mentions Justin Ontong who was fast tracked into the Proteas team as a push toward transformation. Everyone knew that he wasn't ready to play international cricket, but the decision was made at the 'top'. Bouch says that his tour to Aus (I think it was) put him back about 7 years as a player. His confidence was destroyed as a result of poor performances and as a person who was sure to be an international regular, only ever lived up to become a domestic average.

This applies to all sport. How can a fat guy behind a desk who has never amounted to anything in the world of sport make decisions that can ruin a young players future, just to push his dreams and ideals on others.

With this said I am all for transformation but it must be done right. Start with the youngsters and sure, place quotas on club and domestic levels. Why ruin the reputation of the country just to reach imaginary targets.

As for Fikile, he said were are from Africa but it doesn't show in our teams? All of us are Africans. I was born and have lived my whole life on this continent.

No matter what, Politics don't ever belong in Sport, Finish and klaar!!! Not getting into the racial side of the argument I just believe that the day politics get involved in sport, that is the day that sport no longer represents to abilities of a nation / province / side / school / club!

Just look at Bafana. EISH!!!!!!!

I suggest Auntie Helen sue him for defamation of character. Maybe it will keep his motormouth quiet for a while.

There are two great challenges to South Africa, and unfortunately they are class related.

Firstly, Youth development. The number of children that are being formed as good citizens in this country is minimal. Parents seem to think that kids are safe next to the N1, locked in shacks or dropped off at shopping malls (all depending on how much money you have. Very few kids are accommodated in recreational sport activities (as schools only groom the best in their sport teams) Also youth movements such as the voortrekkers and scouts are not being supported by government, thus reducing their reach and effectiveness. In the past these organisations could depend on the support of sponsors, donations and grants, but alas now they are cash strapped and limited by various "laws" leaving kids no safe place to develop important social skills

Secondly, sport development. Sport is costly in both time and money, so if you don't have access to this then oops sport is not an option. Also if you chose to spend your money on cars, booze ext then sport goes out of the window. This as resulted in sport being an elitist pursuit and obesity a national problem. The average start up for almost any sport (chess and running excluded) can be anywhere from R10k to R200k depending the sport. where the lower middle class gets the money is a mystery, and for this reason sport will not be demographically reflective. For sport to work in South Africa the government must back more accessible sport, which must be backed aggressively. Running, chess, and umh umh umh running are excellent examples for such support.

I suggest Auntie Helen sue him for defamation of character. Maybe it will keep his motormouth quiet for a while.

I see the witches complained, it seems they are unhappy about being associated with the DA

Simple thing will happen - budding sportsman will (again) move overseas and get the opportunities that they work so hard for. Local sport will take a down turn on the serious side.

With that will go local funding and sponsorship, making us less competitive at international events..... which means we will be invited less and less to these events, which in turn makes us less competitive. which in turn............................you see where this is going.

Sportsman want to be picked on merit and ability, to make the best possible team...if not, then you do not deserve to consider yourself a sportsman.

Unless the elections lead to getting this ponce out of office...then maybe we may see something positive happening

On a semi related note - the exxaro development team just aint cutting the mustard in my opinion.

At Epic I was hugely disappointed by the riders in green and black.

At the start line they'd pitch up 5 mins before the start then pop their bikes onto the back wheel and push their way to the front. This lasted 2 days before the other riders told them to stop.

On the bike they never rode as a team - always passing and stopping passing and stopping several hundred meters away from each other.

If one had a mechanical the other would sit on his top tube drinking water.

Crossing the line at the end of the stage there were no high fives or acknowledgement of partner - just straight faced misery.

Some of the guys are flippin strong riders but if the team management doesn't give them the life skills needed to be pro riders they will never be accepted into the peleton.

I emailed two of the exxaro managers and no response.

It's a real pity - there is plenty cash and Justice has been round the block a few times but somehow the riders just don't seem to be getting the life skills/social awareness/team orientation they need.

On a semi related note - the exxaro development team just aint cutting the mustard in my opinion.

At Epic I was hugely disappointed by the riders in green and black.

At the start line they'd pitch up 5 mins before the start then pop their bikes onto the back wheel and push their way to the front. This lasted 2 days before the other riders told them to stop.

On the bike they never rode as a team - always passing and stopping passing and stopping several hundred meters away from each other.

If one had a mechanical the other would sit on his top tube drinking water.

Crossing the line at the end of the stage there were no high fives or acknowledgement of partner - just straight faced misery.

Some of the guys are flippin strong riders but if the team management doesn't give them the life skills needed to be pro riders they will never be accepted into the peleton.

I emailed two of the exxaro managers and no response.

It's a real pity - there is plenty cash and Justice has been round the block a few times but somehow the riders just don't seem to be getting the life skills/social awareness/team orientation they need.

Mentoring - it is sorely lacking in just about every single sphere of modern South African life - including cycling! The older generation don't want to spend the effort because they get only flak for their efforts. The younger generation don't want to be mentored because they think the old farts knows nothing. Sad. Throw racial politics into the mix and it becomes impossible. Terribly sad.