Where have all the real men gone

scotty

* mini hijack on.. any of you carry a small little first aid kit.. I need one of those.. hubby can't carry on ripping his cycling shirts for me ;)

hijack off*

The wife carries a first aid kit that has most things you need in her Camelbak. I just carry a mertholiate spray for cuts and scrapes.

On topic though, the last time we were at Hakahana she stopped to help some poor dude riding the rocky downhill on his jump bike. She had to plug a number of cuts in his tyres.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frail4Life

So yesterday while i was battling the koppies round Irene a friend who iv'e recently introduced to cycling decided to go for a cycle, riding along Atlas road towards Bonearo Park she gets a flat, iv'e given her the theory of changing a tube and i had made sure she had all the requirements, but she struggled with it in practice, do you think 1 of the cyclist (MTB and road) that passed her offered to help, nil, not one. She eventually had to walk quite a distance to the garage and call someone to fetch her.

Sorry

I am in the Karoo now.

I can be There by the Weekend.

Plz send directions

But it is nice eye candy to have him barechested and sweaty?! rip on!

Aha you have a point

Well Done...

Lesson learnt, I will carry extra of everything.

Including a pen and paper for phone numbers...

I use a cellphone for that purpose, and the camera helps for post-puncture selfies :whistling:

Sure dude, and don't get me wrong, its lekker in the beginning...you know showing off your mechanical skills.

But and here is the but, it will cost me too much if I keep on doing it(popular routes like cradle and spruit will bankrupt you). So just help the ladies....they are prettier :whistling:

I have a puncture and I don't want to ruin my nails.

post-39984-0-17295900-1398152632_thumb.jpg

At Emperors race with 25 km to go i got a snakebite puncture in the rear tyre .Unfortunately i could not control the bomb regulator and burst my only spare tube .There i was with no tube ,no bomb ,no pump and not even a second look from the groups speeding past .Finished the race on the back of the sweeper bakkie

At Emperors race with 25 km to go i got a snakebite puncture in the rear tyre .Unfortunately i could not control the bomb regulator and burst my only spare tube .There i was with no tube ,no bomb ,no pump and not even a second look from the groups speeding past .Finished the race on the back of the sweeper bakkie

It happens....so what did you learn, get a better adapter / practise using it. :thumbup:

I forgot to add, in a race, its every man / and woman for themselves. No stopping and don't expect anyone to stop for me. Racing isn't just about pedalling.

Not to sure why there should be special treatment for ladies. The topic should read where have all the real people gone.

I help anybody out and always call out if they are by the side of the road or trail to check if there are okay, male or female.

I had the favour returned a few months back with two ladies stopping with their cars when I was fixing a puncture on the side of the road to see if i needed a lift.

You want to play the game, know the rules, get the kit and learn how to use it.

At the cradle challenge, a young blonde lady went down on some rocky jeeptrack and the amount of "real men" stopping to assist caused a back-up all the way to maropeng... :thumbup:

Suddenly makes sense and will explain it. she's not blonde.

It happens....so what did you learn, get a better adapter / practise using it. :thumbup:

I forgot to add, in a race, its every man / and woman for themselves. No stopping and don't expect anyone to stop for me. Racing isn't just about pedalling.

Yup correct ! I now carry 2 tubes and rather use a small pump instead of a bomb for a road tyre .This whole road race group action does not appeal to me anyhow .I would rather ride singletract with my SS .Road cycling just seems so much more dangerous

Not to sure why there should be special treatment for ladies. The topic should read where have all the real people gone.

I help anybody out and always call out if they are by the side of the road or trail to check if there are okay, male or female.

I had the favour returned a few months back with two ladies stopping with their cars when I was fixing a puncture on the side of the road to see if i needed a lift.

You want to play the game, know the rules, get the kit and learn how to use it.

Thanks. i think this was covered in the first few pages :thumbup:

Yup correct ! I now carry 2 tubes and rather use a small pump instead of a bomb for a road tyre .This whole road race group action does not appeal to me anyhow .I would rather ride singletract with my SS .Road cycling just seems so much more dangerous

Feeling you brother...i nearly poeped in my chamois at the fast one this year....sitting in a big bunch at 35-40km/h the whole time makes me moer nervous. One touch of the wheels and its nag nellie

Here is the deal though...flamesuit on

To stop and help someone cost money...real money ito tubes, plugs, bombs, patch repair kit, sealant(mini stans bottle that I carry with me). Lets take this weekend for example.

Friday...did a cruise around the cradle, coming down to lion park, saw a female stranded with deer in headlights look. Stopped and asked, she replied she has a puncture...Ok dokey aunty...do you have tyre levers? No, do you have a spare tube? No, Do you have a bomb and adapter? No, Do you have a puncture repair kit? No. But she some insane mutlitool with a glow in the dark alien head lol.

Sigh, remove her tube, find puncture and piece of glas causing puncture..patch and solution...put back and bomb up.

Yesterday...spruit @8 with the lads....just outside the botanical gardens, 2 females with same deer in headlights look...Stopped and asked...puncture that sealant cant fix. Do you have plugs? No...Do you have bombs and adapter? No. Do you have a some sealant in little bottle since yours is running dry? No.

Sigh...plug it, add some sealant through valve core, and bomb it. Aunties off on their merry way

In neither of the incidents did they ask if they can replace what I used to get them rolling again, once the punctures were fixed they couldn't wait to get on their bikes again as fast as possible. So being a good guy cost me a patch and some solution, 2 bombs, half a bottle sealant. Lets call it R100. Now I will carry on being the nice guy for ladies but for the guys....aikona....Take a foot brother. That will be the last time you forgot to bring the spares mentioned above and to the ladies...maybe just an offer to replace whatever I used would be cool, I won't take you up on the offer but it shows some gratitude and less expectation that I MUST do it cause I am a guy.

I suspect this is the female species latest method of catching a man, brothers you need to exercise extreme caution as it could end up being a life long sentence, and if you are already happily sentenced it could lead to an expensive shortening of the sentence.