Where have all the real men gone

scotty

This is actually quite strange as I can not for the life of me fathom why you should ride past somebody that is stranded... male or female. I always offer to help and particularly due to the horror stories of jackings etc, it is really not safe for somebody, especially a lady to walk and try and get help. I would hate it if I read of yet another attack on somebody and I know that my sacrifice of a little bit of time and maybe a plug, patch and bomb could have prevented the situation.

That being said... I think it is a good idea for EVERY person that owns a bike to at least have the basics with him/her.... or at least for the setup you are riding. It has happened for instance that I stopped to help and the strandee has nothing on her and I don't have a 26" tube or patch as I carry plugs for my tubeless setup. Find out what you'll need to fix the basics and put it in a saddle bag and fix it to your bike. It makes it a lot easier if you have trouble and somebody needs to stops and assist.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it may be time for her to sit and try changing a tyre a few times at home, unfortunately punctures are a part of cycling, women want equality, and should be able to do basic maintenance(very basic), like tyre change, chain repair, etc

No excuse that a woman cannot do it, and seriously, if she wants to ride alone, she should have mastered the basics by now, otherwise she is tempting fate.

Just for the record, i have stopped to help many times.

Yep that is an awesome idea...rather find out at home than out in the bundus.

Here is the deal though...flamesuit on

You did a very noble thing there. Sadly I only carry enough and specific spares for myself and my partner in crime when we are on training rides.

I will stop and offer help. Spares however I can't help you with unless there are enough to go round. I can't risk getting stranded myself because I played the good guy role and handed out all my tubes.

As a rider in any discipline you need to realise that mechanical preparation is as important as nutrition and fitness.

Indeed.. I always ride with the basics in my little tool bag under my seat.. at least if I am not able to fix the issue myself, someone will be able to help me with my own spares.

And in my little tool bag I also always carry cash (R100).. so if whatever spares I have isn't enough I can at least refund said knight in shining helmet.

But I never ride alone. Hubby is always with me.

But I have told him.. the next one to get a flat or any mechanical issue I want to fix it.. as to get some practice.

Edited by Gen

So yesterday while i was battling the koppies round Irene a friend who iv'e recently introduced to cycling decided to go for a cycle, riding along Atlas road towards Bonearo Park she gets a flat, iv'e given her the theory of changing a tube and i had made sure she had all the requirements, but she struggled with it in practice, do you think 1 of the cyclist (MTB and road) that passed her offered to help, nil, not one. She eventually had to walk quite a distance to the garage and call someone to fetch her.

We're all in Cape Town.

* mini hijack on.. any of you carry a small little first aid kit.. I need one of those.. hubby can't carry on ripping his cycling shirts for me ;)

hijack off*

fantastic, I have no issue helping a stranded lady, even better if she has her own spares like above. Then its a pleasant affair. I get grumpy when I use a tube and a bomb and don't even get a thanks. But like I said earlier, will always stop for a lady no matter what...but the manne...its not the seals meneer. klap n toon

I get what you saying, in my time iv'e given out plenty tubes, bombs etc, some times the person will ask how do they contact me to replace and i tell them pass it on but there have been other times they just go their merry way without saying anything.

I still have an expensive multi tool which someone lent me during a race when my crank came off, we agreed to meet at the end so i can give it back but i could not find him. I did post on the Hub at the time hoping he would come forward but nothing to date.

Stopped a few times for blokes and ladies with flats. Even the commuters I try to assist.

But had one incident where a bloke passed me, cursed me, then got a flat 50 meters up the road. Murphy was in full working order as the bloke had no kit with him. Asked if I can help him, but he cursed me again, so I went on my slow trek up the hill.

But I agree the cost of being a knight in Lycra is a bit expensive.

Right off the bat I will say ,, I would have helped and I have helped in the past, (even loaded the bike on my van as the lady did not have what we needed) but .....you shouldn't be riding alone if you can't do simple repairs it's more dangerous and irresponsible to rely and hope for the help of today's useless "men " who would pass a damsel in distress in fact a lady should be quicker to change her tyre and be on her way for obvious reasons???

Dips I have no doubt that you would have helped. You such a nice guy.

Here is the deal though...flamesuit on

To stop and help someone cost money...real money ito tubes, plugs, bombs, patch repair kit, sealant(mini stans bottle that I carry with me). Lets take this weekend for example.

Friday...did a cruise around the cradle, coming down to lion park, saw a female stranded with deer in headlights look. Stopped and asked, she replied she has a puncture...Ok dokey aunty...do you have tyre levers? No, do you have a spare tube? No, Do you have a bomb and adapter? No, Do you have a puncture repair kit? No. But she some insane mutlitool with a glow in the dark alien head lol.

Sigh, remove her tube, find puncture and piece of glas causing puncture..patch and solution...put back and bomb up.

Yesterday...spruit @8 with the lads....just outside the botanical gardens, 2 females with same deer in headlights look...Stopped and asked...puncture that sealant cant fix. Do you have plugs? No...Do you have bombs and adapter? No. Do you have a some sealant in little bottle since yours is running dry? No.

Sigh...plug it, add some sealant through valve core, and bomb it. Aunties off on their merry way

In neither of the incidents did they ask if they can replace what I used to get them rolling again, once the punctures were fixed they couldn't wait to get on their bikes again as fast as possible. So being a good guy cost me a patch and some solution, 2 bombs, half a bottle sealant. Lets call it R100. Now I will carry on being the nice guy for ladies but for the guys....aikona....Take a foot brother. That will be the last time you forgot to bring the spares mentioned above and to the ladies...maybe just an offer to replace whatever I used would be cool, I won't take you up on the offer but it shows some gratitude and less expectation that I MUST do it cause I am a guy.

Well Done...

Lesson learnt, I will carry extra of everything.

Including a pen and paper for phone numbers...

I think it may be time for her to sit and try changing a tyre a few times at home, unfortunately punctures are a part of cycling, women want equality, and should be able to do basic maintenance(very basic), like tyre change, chain repair, etc

No excuse that a woman cannot do it, and seriously, if she wants to ride alone, Ishe should have mastered the basics by now, otherwise she is tempting fate.

Just for the record, i have stopped to help many times.

She was not alone, she was with her mentally disabled son who's also a graded Muay Thai expert so she's certainly safe, being from Benoni its close by i'll introduce you and you can tell him.

This is actually quite strange as I can not for the life of me fathom why you should ride past somebody that is stranded... male or female. I always offer to help and particularly due to the horror stories of jackings etc, it is really not safe for somebody, especially a lady to walk and try and get help. I would hate it if I read of yet another attack on somebody and I know that my sacrifice of a little bit of time and maybe a plug, patch and bomb could have prevented the situation.

That being said... I think it is a good idea for EVERY person that owns a bike to at least have the basics with him/her.... or at least for the setup you are riding. It has happened for instance that I stopped to help and the strandee has nothing on her and I don't have a 26" tube or patch as I carry plugs for my tubeless setup. Find out what you'll need to fix the basics and put it in a saddle bag and fix it to your bike. It makes it a lot easier if you have trouble and somebody needs to stops and assist.

Money....that is why

You did a very noble thing there. Sadly I only carry enough and specific spares for myself and my partner in crime when we are on training rides.

I will stop and offer help. Spares however I can't help you with unless there are enough to go round. I can't risk getting stranded myself because I played the good guy role and handed out all my tubes.

As a rider in any discipline you need to realise that mechanical preparation is as important as nutrition and fitness.

exactly...its part and parcel isn't it.

She was not alone, she was with her mentally disabled son who's also a graded Muay Thai expert so she's certainly safe, being from Benoni its close by i'll introduce you and you can tell him.

Tell him what? Geez dude, take a chill pill, just making a suggestion that she should really make a plan to master the art of removing a tyre from a rim

Well Done...

Lesson learnt, I will carry extra of everything.

Including a pen and paper for phone numbers...

No need, just enough for yourself so that I don't have to use mine. But alas, in every situation I have stopped the people didn't have the know how(which isnt the problem, I will gladly assist) or the spares(This makes me grumpy cause now I have to pay to help you.)

Its also about a gratitude thing, if the person just offers to replace I will never take them up on it, but its almost like there is this expectation that I MUST do it....so my rule still stands...a guy, sorry tjom you are on your own. Ladies, stop everytime no matter what