Child Carriers & Trailers - Input and experience

Nemeziz_za

Hi Everyone,

So I recently been thinking about getting the whole family cycling, but I have a 5 month old son. Sooooo I realise that I'm going to have to wait a bit till I can get us all out and about on the bikes.

However I am looking into child seats and carriers and would like to hear of hubbers personal experiences or exposure to these things.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated as well as brands to look into, model numbers and even which ones to stay clear of.

Cheers

I've been using a Wee Ride since my son was old enough to hold his head up with a helmet on (from about 12 months). What I liked was being able to see him, the Wee Ride sits on a bracket above the toptube. He's now two and definitely too big for the Wee Ride, all the adjustments are at full extension, but he and I loved it. Pedalling is "interesting" with you having to modify your pedalling motion to clear the seat, but not uncomfortable for short jaunts.

No bike carrier will offer your child adequate protection against an accident. I will probably get one of these once my boy is here and able to enjoy the wild outdoors

http://www.riksha.co.za/features/

. A few key features to look for:

- pivot coupling. The stroller will remain upright even if the bike ends op on its side.

- enforcement on the side and top to minimize side on impact and taking a full on tumble. The side bars and top bar of the stroller will at least offer some protection.

The working range of this type of product is also superior to seating carriers in that you can use the riksha from about 9 months to about age 6 or 7 (up to 40 kg and 115cm in height). By age 6 or 7 you would probably change over to something like this for longer rides.

http://www.trail-gator.com/

I have a back mounted seat. A front mounted seat. A top tube type seat and a trailer. On short rides the top tube seat wins. On long rides the trailer wins

I have a back mounted seat. A front mounted seat. A top tube type seat and a trailer. On short rides the top tube seat wins. On long rides the trailer wins

I would imagine that cycling with a 2 year old on the top tube is like cycling with a 10kg bag of cats on the top tube. How do you get them to sit still?

Have got the Riksha. Got it when the little guy was just on 18 months old. Loves it to pieces. Beauty about it is that it can also be converted into a stroller come jogger.

I have always felt this child carrier thing is something that sounds like a great idea in theory but in reality not so much, would never have worked with my children..

I use a Feeva star seat on the old mtb as a skoolbus to take my 2 yr old to play school. He loves it. Started using it when he was 21 months old (in pic). He now weighs 13 kgs at just over 2 yrs and the short ride becomes a bit of a work-out. I taught him to "hou-vas", especially over speedbumps, which he loves. Don't think I'll take this set-up with its cargo down G-Spot though... :whistling:

post-33762-0-91091200-1398175480_thumb.jpg

Apod stroller is the bee's knees. Take it on 'singletrack' all the time. I've gone to bigger volume bmx tires (I Think 2.2"?) and also gehtto tubeless. gives a bit of cushioning on the rougher bits.