Sondela Bela-Bela Road Cycling Challenge 2014

bmw1za

Mini Road tour do this, then the Polokwane Mayoral the next day!....

My fiance is doing this with BestMed, was not originally on the cards for their team but I reckon the prize money made them change their mind

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great weather and no wind expected for Sat. Sunday a bit cooler at the start but that is only at 08:00. Packing up the fam this afternoon. Sat is going to be FAST!

Nice racepack. NB. NB. to all traveling - several sections of roadworks coming from the south. Give some 20-30min to be safe. Nice racing village so leave some time for after as well. Also no pins in the pack, but if you ask they do have some. Good luck for tmrw.

What a lekka day's riding. I tried several times to get away but on the flat roads the bunch always cuaght up. Apparently only one crash towards the back of AL. We caught the remainder of the vets 2km from the end - who all then wanted to sprint for the line despite being more than 5min down. As the major bonus for the day , I then met Escapee. What a nice guy. Now to get my knees to stop hurting for the sand of tmrw on my S/ S.

The only thing wrong with this picture is, I am sitting on a chair behind a computer not on my bike behind them

Typical Wheel sucker

Why dont you do some work in the front?

Above was a recent comment from Escapee. Heh -heh!

What a lekka day's riding. I tried several times to get away but on the flat roads the bunch always cuaght up. Apparently only one crash towards the back of AL. We caught the remainder of the vets 2km from the end - who all then wanted to sprint for the line despite being more than 5min down. As the major bonus for the day , I then met Escapee. What a nice guy. Now to get my knees to stop hurting for the sand of tmrw on my S/ S.

Also started in Al. Got blown out of the bunch in first 10km. Crazy fast start (for me). Soloed for a bit and then got into a group of stragglers. Cruised to 90km, before blowing. Tough day. Will be back.

Same for me was in BL, start was crazy fast, disappeard out of the group at 35kms, solo for 10kms then slotted into a nice group at a decent speed, only to have a puncture at around 60kms, race over! Pretty much solo from there to the finish, tough day trying to keep up with the front at the start so was painful on the legs at the finish. Too many potholes and lots having punctures, but otherwise a good day even if was a tough one!

Edited by shaper

Also started in Al. Got blown out of the bunch in first 10km. Crazy fast start (for me). Soloed for a bit and then got into a group of stragglers. Cruised to 90km, before blowing. Tough day. Will be back.

Ouch ... next Time Gadget :thumbup:

Had a good time on the road yesterday riding with Bl. Quite a few helping on the front but 2 guys in different red shirts were the stars. +/-35 of us finished together on 2'54 or so. That beat half of AL I think.

Potholes made it look like some national roads in malawi - one was as big as a grave. Lots of shouting and swerving but didn't hear any crashes, just made sure to get forwards for some space and to see what was coming.

Good vibe at the end. Sondela have made a lot of effort and its 45kms round their bushveld today. Total ascent +/-5mtrs though there may be some sand.

Legs where dead after doing Sani2c this week and the fast start didnt help either.

Cruised in AL avoiding potholes and the shorter route riders.

Think we did a 2h36.

Very nice meeting Talus after the race, had a couple of beers and plenty of laughs.

Got relegated to DL as a late entry. Must have been a few strong riders in the group as late entries who pulled nicely. We finished in a respectable 2:50... A half hearted sprint on very tired legs but won the group :clap:

Cant say I enjoyed the race much, absolutely flat as a pancake, felt like cobbles in sections and widow-maker potholes to make one appreciate riding out front...

Edited by Chopper Jr

Found the race to be easy with AL starting at a comfortably brisk 40km/h+ pace. Potholes were a whole adventure by themselves. Luckily unaware of any events due to them, or any other happening. Despite the average speed dipping below 40, I was happy to finish with the front of A in 2:36. The lady marshal on the motorbike did her level best to manage the group to safety. Well done who were involved. Other races can take a hint from them about number collection. It was smoothly done on the morning of the event.