MTb v Trail running v Hiking

Headshot

What annoys me much more that coming upon them on the trail, are the sub par parking skills of the T&T bunch. I've was solidly parked in, no make that, boxed in, one evening. Other groups of runners arrive early on weekends and park in such a way that a third of the space under the trees is unusable. I've seen them at it and have had my kind suggestions ignored. Maybe I should work on my bright and cheerful face.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What annoys me much more that coming upon them on the trail, are the sub par parking skills of the T&T bunch. I've was solidly parked in, no make that, boxed in, one evening. Other groups of runners arrive early on weekends and park in such a way that a third of the space under the trees is unusable. I've seen them at it and have had my kind suggestions ignored. Maybe I should work on my bright and cheerful face.

I've been boxed in on a Saturday morning before too

• 4 weeks later...

Rode Tokai yesterday evening and was heading down Vasbyt with Slapsock - we got to around 50m from the end at the Quarry when we encountered a group of six or more trail runners coming up. Its a fastish singletrack section with bush on either side. Luckily it is straight and we were able to see them soon enough to avoid them, but it was close and we were forced to slow right down as they jumped off the trail. Not good at all.

Headshot, we are having a meeting tonight with trail runner representatives so hoping that we'll be able to sort these issues soon. Slowing right down when meeting another trail user should not be an issue though- it's good 'ol trail etiquette ;)

For sure, but the question is whether these trail "users" should be "using" that trail at all of course.

Jonkers also has a lot of trail runners - normally its all good except when they run UP the Fire Trail etc. when its only one way (DOWN!). There is a big "Don't enter" sign at the bottom, I can't see how you can miss it...

Hi Hubbers,

The TokaiMTB committee had a constructive meeting with Noel from Trail & Tar, who leads the runs weekly into Tokai plantation as well as Trevor Ball from trailrunning.co.za (he organises the Table Mountain Challenge and Mast Challenge). These 2 running groups cover most of the trail runners that visit Tokai and with the planned signage, we hope that other trail runners will conform to what we have all decided as a representative group.

The issue of safety was presented and well received. Consensus was quickly reached that the mountain bike community, as large as it is, is restricted to very few locations in the Park with a few kilometers of purpose built singletrack trails, found mainly in Tokai.

Since runners enjoy the features found on the mountain bike trails, it was also established that it would be a shame for runners to lose access to all the singletrack, so the suggestion was made for TokaiMTB to advise on which trails could be deemed safe to share. Since the MTB trails are built for mountain bikers and by mountain bikers, it was agreed that right of way would be granted to the mountain bikers.

Slower trails where running would be permitted include:

• Fairie Garden
  • Your Roots (contour section). It was advised to approach the exit of this trail with caution as riders entering from the road do so at speed and over a blind rise for anyone in the trail. An exit route has been constructed and will be clearly marked on the map. Runners are encouraged to use this exit.
  • Lizard

If you take a look at the current MTB trail map, all green graded routes will be shared between runners and mtbers.

Outcomes and requirements: to be communicated among users.

• Rider speed on descending trails and vegetation height are contributing factors that place both rider and runner at risk of collision and injury. Runners are to be educated on appropriate trail rules and encouraged to comply for continued good relations.
  • A map will be provided showing the trails that can be shared between users.
  • Trails in the tree-lined areas are best suited for shared access as the widely spaced growth allows both runner and rider enough sight to plan encounters well in advance.
  • Should there still be an unexpected meeting on the trail, the average rider speed on these contour trails is slow enough to avoid an accident.
  • Fall-line trails (Downhill 0, 1, 2, 3, 4) and descending XC trails are to be avoided by runners at all costs. See map for approved shared trails.
  • Where running is permitted on mountain bike trails, right of way will be granted to the rider. Runners are to move well off the trail to provide enough room for the rider to pass unhindered. Runners must not make use of earphones while running.
  • Signage at the trailhead will soon be erected detailing rules and guidelines. At this time it is not possible to signpost each trail sign, so runners need to associate themselves with trails set for shared use before setting out. At some stage a symbol/icon may be applied to signs at running permitted trails to assist in compliance.

post-60155-0-95774900-1402663598_thumb.jpg

Dont forget the horse riders. Had to ask two of them to turn back from Fairy Garden today, which to be fair to them they did. There could be an interesting collision one day where a runner is found under the body of a horse thats been impaled with a mtb. The riders of the horse and bike will be found close by arguing over who cleans up the mess.

Dont forget the horse riders. Had to ask two of them to turn back from Fairy Garden today, which to be fair to them they did. There could be an interesting collision one day where a runner is found under the body of a horse thats been impaled with a mtb. The riders of the horse and bike will be found close by arguing over who cleans up the mess.

MTB v Trail running v Hiking ... get it? :ph34r:

BUT now that you've brought it up.. :cursing:

The horse riders have been hammered with code of conduct. If you ever see a horse on any mtb approved trail, the picture you take is our most effective tool. We are passed talking, the horse groups support our efforts to reign in control but need pictures for internal policing.

Oh look daddy, a horse.. well spotted son, "click!"

Email your best horse photo to: trails at tokaimtb do co dot za

^_^

On a related point it would be fantastic if mountain bikers could keep the speeds down on the lower Tokai park paths, which are used mostly by walkers, runners and kids. If you want to rip it up, head to the mountain bike trails but its not really appropriate to try set new Strava times around the lower park where there are kids, dogs and others that could get hurt.

you guys do realize that loads of runners dont belong to clubs..?

They simpley run because they like it so i personally dont think all these meeting are gonna make a difference.

If its a purpose built downhill track put singnage up thats clearly visible.

95percent of Tokai was built on hiking/ running tracks and then mountain bikers took a lot of it over.

MTBing does way more damage than hiking and with all the greenies around they guys would be better of to get along with other guys using the forest, all you need is one or 2 big accidents and to piss the wrong people off and the next thing they will ban mtbing so rather just get along.

Out here in George we all share the trails and there is really no problems.

I did life in Tokai area for a few years and as previously mentioned back in '97-2000 you were lucky to see bikes in the forest

you guys do realize that loads of runners dont belong to clubs..?

They simpley run because they like it so i personally dont think all these meeting are gonna make a difference.

If its a purpose built downhill track put singnage up thats clearly visible.

95percent of Tokai was built on hiking/ running tracks and then mountain bikers took a lot of it over.

MTBing does way more damage than hiking and with all the greenies around they guys would be better of to get along with other guys using the forest, all you need is one or 2 big accidents and to piss the wrong people off and the next thing they will ban mtbing so rather just get along.

Out here in George we all share the trails and there is really no problems.

I did life in Tokai area for a few years and as previously mentioned back in '97-2000 you were lucky to see bikes in the forest

In short, yes.

On a related point it would be fantastic if mountain bikers could keep the speeds down on the lower Tokai park paths, which are used mostly by walkers, runners and kids. If you want to rip it up, head to the mountain bike trails but its not really appropriate to try set new Strava times around the lower park where there are kids, dogs and others that could get hurt.

You'd think logic would play a role but then one needs logic to know entitlement is damaging our sport. So I guess not, hey.

You'd think logic would play a role but then one needs logic to know entitlement is damaging our sport. So I guess not, hey.

Always find it quite weird that people go ride fast on that paved track as if its actually mountain biking - sometimes fully kitted out like Epic contenders.

Always find it quite weird that people go ride fast on that paved track as if its actually mountain biking - sometimes fully kitted out like Epic contenders.

Haaahaha! I fall about laughing when I see it... but hey, each to their own. :whistling:

Hi Hubbers,

The TokaiMTB committee had a constructive meeting with Noel from Trail & Tar, who leads the runs weekly into Tokai plantation as well as Trevor Ball from trailrunning.co.za .......................

Well done guys, fair outcome to all IMHO.

there are quite a few trail running mailing lists/FB groups, I suggest a short writeup could reach a large portion of the trail community.