[Event] MTN National MTB Series #6 Van Gaalen Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

Did you not learn from Monster...

Intervals the week leading up to the race wasn't a good idea... :P

Can't say get well soon... coz you're not really sick yet...

So see you in the morning on the start line

;)

Was 50/50 this AM, more like 80/20 now dude....feeling proper kuk, taking a halfday from work

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was 50/50 this AM, more like 80/20 now dude....feeling proper kuk, taking a halfday from work

I did the monster feeling like that .Not a good idea to ride such an event if you are ill .I have not recovered fully and may only do the half marathon on Sunday

I did the monster feeling like that .Not a good idea to ride such an event if you are ill .I have not recovered fully and may only do the half marathon on Sunday

Yea, as soon as my muscles start aching I am out...I can stand a snotty nose, but I am playing hero...will come through anyhow

Take it slow and watch your heart rate carefully .I am still getting exercise induced asthma at the 90min mark .Planning to ride 45km on my easy geared SS on Sunday just to make things more interesting

Got some USN Cramb Block from them yesterday so hopefully it'll work. Thanks!

apparently Rennies work very well as anti cramp

Just another "heads up" to all the novices on the marathon...

Please proceed with care on the technical downhill bits. Every year people have come on here after the race with their assorted tales of woe (broken collar bones,broken/ cracked ribs etc, including myself) so be careful, rather walk it, and please step aside out of the path if you see someone coming down because you need speed, and stopping is tricky.

I get around a fair amount of mtb events, this is really up there in terms of the most technically challenging, but its also one of the best.

Take care and good luck.

Was in the same boat, hadn't recovered from riding Cradle Trophy 2day with snotty nose, just can't seem to shake it, even a weeks antibiotics didn't help before Monster.

Will try start slower and hopefully last a bit longer... Dunno how successful that plan will be, but will try keep it in mind :D

The "new" Oom Piets is not the greatest piece of single track that I have ridden at VG. Was having a ball until then and then I hit the proverbial wall. Wessel, everything else was brilliant. Thank you.

What a tough race....big thanks to Thys who fixed my stem after a fall ...and then gave me his stem screw at the next water point after breaking his back wheel. Hope u get ur bike fixed soon!!!

Also a big thank u to the team who pulled me through the biggest wall I have ever hit....on the satellite climb Chris, Cornelius, Paul !! U guys rock...well done!!!!

Ouch; what a tough race. I quess Van Gaalen is not the best choice for one's first proper marathon. Did Cullinan the other day, but this is a different level. Only last climb got me. Everything up to 55km was good and very enjoyable. Last climb was really tough. But made it to the end in one piece. Long day out, but very nice route!

Great event Wessel!

Wow what a tough and long day on the bike. 6hrs37minutes. Also lost sense of humour around the 50km mark but knew that once i hit 60km it was all going to be plain sailing so hung on til then and really enjoyed the river singletrack. First proper marathon in the bag. Technical stuff was manageable although a lot of unrideable. Loved the floating bridge. Well done guys and girls. To to sick girl that I chatted to before one of the water points I hope you finished!