[Event] MTN National MTB Series #6 Van Gaalen Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

What was ascent on the marathon? My endo reads 1090m would like to know how accurate it is...

Garmin 500 says 1362 elevation gain and 73.33 km … it seems to turn off whenever I walk !

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garmin 500 says 1362 elevation gain and 73.33 km … it seems to turn off whenever I walk !

Are you using the cadence senser? If so, the Garmin Edge 500 takes the wheel size to determine distance and not GPS. In this case your wheel size should be configured.

Edited by ACM

Tough day out there, twice over the bars and taken out meters from finish line.

Marathon route was ok but extra section at the top of oom Piet was rubbish. Better option would have been normal oom piets then back up to the church.

I agree JC. That new section near Oom Piets just plain sucked. Why include a hike-a-bike section like that? Much rather do normal Piet and Greek church.

I'd like to appeal to trail builders to think more carefully about sections like that. Sure, the top 10 guys might be able to ride it (although I doubt anyone ride the whole thing) but the rest of us would rather ride than walk. VG in particular has plenty of awesome trails and climbs that are tough and challenging but rideable.

I'm not complaining for the sake of it, and anyone who knows me will vouch for the fact that I like the tough and challenging rides.

I was having a storming ride until the top of the new Bliksem Piet section. Then the sense of humour failed.

Kudos for the other 90% of the route. I had a score to settle with the satellite descent, having taken a tumble last year and I was stoked to ride the whole way down.....only to crash 200m before the bridge when my pedal connected a rock and put me on my arse.

I'm satisfied with my top 50% finish and will be back again as always.

Well done to all the finishers especially the guys and girls who nudged 7 hours plus.

Never thought I'd say this, but Magalies Monster was easier.

Marafakka that was a lekker race.

Thanks everyone that made it happen!

Two requests if I may

1) The lady photographing under the road bridge right at the start - please tell me you got a photo of me airing over that steel bridge and that you'll share it

2) The guy with the camera behind me, plz send me the link to the vid where that poor piccanin ran under my bike. Turns out he's fine (guy on quad went to double check for me)

Damn, did't finish. Helped 2 ladies who fell at the hectic downhill only to fall my self as well. Sitting with a cracked thumb and I crushed the soft tissue in my hand so I could not hold on to the bars any more. Oh well, next time! Well done to everyone who finished!!!

My better half said she gave a lift back in the bakkie, I was right behind you when you fell, let me know if you want the goPro footage :)

My better half said she gave a lift back in the bakkie, I was right behind you when you fell, let me know if you want the goPro footage :)

Yes please!!! And please thank your better half again!

Did anyone see a crash in the half marathon?

Im not sure where in the race but it was a guy on a yellow Raleigh hardtail with black and green kit!

Guest KingPrawn

Race was outragous

im curious to know if anyone managed to ride up the last climb, my goodness that was brutal !

I totally agree with you, the fun ran out at the 55km mark where the hike a bike sessions started. I would have happily ridden the greek church as well as jou blixem.

Maybe they wanted a bit of change by adding this horrible new cut section of oom piets, IMHO it was a stupid idea. I came in just over 5 hours

What an awesome race! VG never disappoints!

Yes that little bit above Oom Piets sucked a little but the rest of it made up for it completely!

Did the Marathon on Saturday and then the half with Nicci on Sunday, her rear derailer cage broke 15km in, which caused us to abandon and head back to the finish along the tar.

Even with a snotty nose, it didn't sap the energy levels nearly as badly as it did at the Monster.

Starting in C batch and going out at probably an easier pace helped quite a lot, didn't try and rush past people but passed either when they were ready to pull over or the track opened up, made for an enjoyable one and didn't cross the line feeling like i'd been hit by a bus.

One of the jewels at VG is the river route and blasting that to the finish definitely seemed to leave a lot more people smiling across the line. I'm sure the depth of the river crossing must have caught a few people by surprise...

it helped knowing them and that dismounting and carrying was a way better idea. ;)

as bad as the extra oom piets climb was, I'm pretty sure we'll be back there soon to give it another try.

There were times going up it that I did think Jou Blixem would have been better but new routes are also always welcome.

and as always, the beers afterwards while we all waited for the others to finish were good!

4:32 was an okayish time, cramps were just about kept at bay, twinges every now and then but no lockups thankfully.

Still sorting and going through the GoPro videos.

Floating Bridge:

76.3km and 1360m garmin 800. After this race the Hakahana is not bad at all! Ascents no problem but that descent? Stange river crossing, a tree? Will do it again.

Nice hard day out there. Glad I was selected to start in the B batch to not overcook the start.

Been looking forward to do this to try and get the suffer meter ready for the rainbow challenge.

I must agree felt more technical than the Monster to me :)

My Sigma Rox clocked about 73km and 1480m ascent, i think. Boyf made me ride Sunday in the Spruit (recovery ride - more like how much can you whine ride) and today another 45km so I have already cleared the details. Back home in Cape Town and will be happy to ride our gorgeous trails here, you guys and girls need to come see our trails.

Edited by CleatsnCleavage