Jonkershoek Closure

trailmansam

so are you complaining that there is no Specialized signing on the coffee shop? I am sure the owner of the coffe shop can put on any branding he wants to as he did not get free Specialized bikes? By closing the trails you will basically tell all MTBers that they cant go there, so they will just go somewhere else...

If you look at Tokai, people mantain those trails out of their own and they do a flippen good job! Was there the weekend and well done on the single track! I went to Jonkershoek and their trails is okish, but Tokai was just better mantained...CPT Mayhem I think is involved there and he doesnt get any recognition from Tokai?

No, the issue is not about Specialized branding. Specialized wants to remove their branding and has agreed that it should be a brand free zone. Nor is it about recognition.

The issue is that branding is being put up by companies without them making any contribution towards the trails. They can go ahead with their branding if they match the contribution by others on a Rand to Rand basis.

What will the guys at Tokai do if an importer puts his brand all over the place without any contribution to the building or maintenance of the trails. same applies to Mankele, Kloof, Contermans, Meerendal or any other park/trail system?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty much the case here. I must admit, the Scott signage is way out of character for the building and history of the area. Like a quick paste job slapped up in the face of the public. Obscene actually..

Have you got a pic of it, D?

Still - even if that is the case, this sort of reaction is unwarranted.

Frankly I cannot begin to fathom the small mindedness of this little dispute. Trailguy/OP - what is your name and why have you put this sensationalist, dare I say "nonsense" about Jonkers closing on a public forum like this? Surely the protagonists should be issuing statements or communicating transparently. Pathetic.

Trailmansam...

"Specialized wants to remove their branding and has agreed that it should be a brand free zone." Then they are moving with the higher principle. Let us hope it has the desired consequence.

No, the issue is not about Specialized branding. Specialized wants to remove their branding and has agreed that it should be a brand free zone. Nor is it about recognition.

The issue is that branding is being put up by companies without them making any contribution towards the trails. They can go ahead with their branding if they match the contribution by others on a Rand to Rand basis.

What will the guys at Tokai do if an importer puts his brand all over the place without any contribution to the building or maintenance of the trails. same applies to Mankele, Kloof, Contermans, Meerendal or any other park/trail system?

Scott made a contribution to the coffee shop, so people can rent a bike and pay money towards Jonkershoek to use the trails, so in a way it is a win win? Perhaps talk to the coffee shop and ask him to only put a sticker on their door?

The thing is they are not putting it "anywhere". They are putting it where they are allowed to (i.e. the coffee shop).

At Tokai, it would require permission from TMNP. Similarly Contermanskloof and Meerendal are privately owned, so NO they cannot put up branding without permission.

Its not cool at all, but you are doing more to harm the big Spaz brand than any of the Scott freeloading is doing with stories like this How to win friends (MTBers) and influence people - not. Hows this headline -

"Specialized mountain bikes behind Jonkershoek trail closure" That's great advertising.

The thing is they are not putting it "anywhere". They are putting it where they are allowed to (i.e. the coffee shop).

At Tokai, it would require permission from TMNP. Similarly Contermanskloof and Meerendal are privately owned, so NO they cannot put up branding without permission.

HAHAHAHA!!! Yeah. That'll happen in a heartbeat.

And what of the trails that existed before Specilaized/TMM got involved? You going to close that down too?

Trails were there way before either of them got involved. And essentially are "owned" by Cape Pine.... So TMM why are you threatening to close something that you do not own? This is an advertising issue, not usage or safety issue....

"is way out of character for the building and history of the area" - now that is the axiom of a proper argument Pain or Shine.

Essentially that building is a Heritage / protected building just by its age alone. So, essentially, there should have been application to erect signage with the Heritage Department of the Western Cape Government, as well as the local authority... Did that happen?

I saw the pic come through on twitter this week.. I see your problem but is it really your jurisdiction over what the cafe owner may or may not present. Maybe tell us what steps you've taken to remedy the situation. As I see it so far, the cafe owner has made a move to attract an alternative income through bike rentals. I am only assuming that in return he has offered extensive branding to Scott for the service. Hardly a case for trail closure in objection, certainly not without amicably finding a solution.

The threat sounds like it is more to TMM than to the trails.

Guest OldFlow

From what i've heard, Ride In have really come with an attractive offering that has left these guys floundering. Showers, better food, better facilities and so on.

You can't even compare. I only ever used to ever grab things out of the fridge because you could help yourself and pay at the counter. Even that was quite challenging and still involved quite a wait. Anything that involved the kitchen was out of the question. Even a cup of coffee took a half hour on a good day! Smiles and happiness were never part of the scene.

Ride-In is awesome. Plenty safe parking, nice toilets and showers and even bike washes available. They even have a few spares, tubes etc. All-in-all good service, good food, relaxed vibe. Smiles all over the place....

I never have the inclination to put myself through the misery of an experience which that JH coffee shop is.

You can't even compare. I only ever used to ever grab things out of the fridge because you could help yourself and pay at the counter. Even that was quite challenging and still involved quite a wait. Anything that involved the kitchen was out of the question. Even a cup of coffee took a half hour on a good day! Smiles and happiness were never part of the scene.

Ride-In is awesome. Plenty safe parking, nice toilets and showers and even bike washes available. They even have a few spares, tubes etc. All-in-all good service, good food, relaxed vibe. Smiles all over the place....

I never have the inclination to put myself through the misery of an experience which that JH coffee shop is.

Well that settles it then. Next time I go, I'm swinging by Ride In for some post roost goodness.

"Essentially that building is a Heritage / protected building just by its age alone. So, essentially, there should have been application to erect signage with the Heritage Department of the Western Cape Government, as well as the local authority... Did that happen? "

Can you hear it? Oh wait, yes, I think that perhaps that is the sound of a digital penny dropping? Trailmansam, when in doubt, turn to the building code.

The 26 vs 29 thread makes more sense.

I went there to find you but must've passed you in the corridor.