Jonkershoek Closure

trailmansam

that cafe looks really cool. Wil def go have a ride at Jonkers this weekend and a bite to eat at the cafe. see what the fuss is about.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine if we as a mob could force EVERY bike manufacturer in SA to contribute to trail building and maintanance?Wouldn't that be ideal instead of leaving it to individuals like Table mnt,Tokai etc etc.

Can you imagine a Chinese open mould Factory.... HKGK, i mean it will have the same tracks like 90% of the others, might even have the same name..... and it will be like R5 or R10 to ride!

@johny bravo, those are 2 different cafes, the one you mentioned is the classy ride in down the rode and the furor is over the one at the gate

@johny bravo, those are 2 different cafes, the one you mentioned is the classy ride in down the rode and the furor is over the one at the gate

Apologies.

Dude needs to up his game if doesn't want Ride-In to take the customers.... plain and simple really.

And get rid of the Scott boards, otherwise they must come to the party

we went there for a breakfast after a ride. Will never spend another cent there. Breakfast took ages, arrived cold, and order messed up. Owner couldn't be bothered to come and engage us on our issues.

This doesn't surprise me.

The trails in Jonkershoek are about to be closed down!!!!!!!

After the sorry state of the trails following the fires a few years ago a Trail Maintenance Movement (TMM) was created by a few concerning cyclist. They pumped huge amounts of their own money into the project. Specialized also contributed thousands and put signboards up to mark the various trails. On these boards they printed a very low key Specialized logo.

The movement is still strong and has a substantial slush fund available for trail maintenance.

Issues:

The effort to set up meetings with the coffee shop owners was unsuccessful and Scott’s attitude is simply that they have a right to this, which they legally have but morally it stinks.

Their branding and attitude towards TMM resulted in a shutdown of all maintenance. This is clear from the sorry state of some of the trails.

WE ARE NOW PROCEEDING WITH THE PHYSICAL CLOSURE OF SOME OF THE TRAILS AS WE ARE NOT PREPARED TO FACE POSSIBLE LEGAL ACTION FOR INJURIES SUSTAINED BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF MAINTENANCE ON THE TRAILS.

Lets get a grip of the fundamentals:

- What the Coffee Shop is doing is "legal". That implies they have lease on their premises and permission to erect signage.

- Who/what is "TMM"? Are they a registered business with a Memorandum of Incorporation and Directors etc. Or are they a club with a Constitution, Committee and Membership?

- Does TMM have a contract with the land owners to maintain and build trails? If there is a contact, does it give TMM exclusive rights to do this, what is the period of the contract, and what are the consequences if TMM fails to perform?

- If there is no contract, on what basis does TMM have a right to close trails?

- There is no shortage of cash to maintain trails. Thus any fund raising effort would be futile.

Clearly this is an issue between two cycle brands. The Coffee Shop appear to have legal signage. Does Specialized feel they have exclusivity on the rights to maintain and build trails on the site? Or why don't they just stand back and let somebody else do it?

Let's say someone has a bad crash at Jonkershoek tomorrow. Then the unfortunate rider might claim that the crash was caused by the failure of TMM to maintain the trails, despite the fact that they have adequate funds available to do this, as has just been acknowledged on a public forum. Who gets sued? TMM, Specialized, Cape Pine, or the Coffee Shop?

I only see losers here, not winners. Whoever gets sued, the looses will be guys like us who enjoy cycling. Perhaps there is just too much money going into cycling at the moment, and not enough common sense.

I suspect TMM is a mixed bag of Stellenboach locals and possibly Giniel De Villiers is involved too.

we went there for a breakfast after a ride. Will never spend another cent there. Breakfast took ages, arrived cold, and order messed up. Owner couldn't be bothered to come and engage us on our issues.

This doesn't surprise me.

If it is that bad it will die a death. Someone excited and keen will take it up or someone within the JH communiy will get a plan to there to package it as part of a sponsorship opportunity. Skills clinic, great coffee, food, showers, shop, workshop, demo fleet and bikes. BEE training in the workshop & cafe, love to all on 2 wheels.

Hell give me a call if it goes on the market and I'll take it over... Promise, no branding!

Edited by hellocolour

You want to close the MTB trails enjoyed by hundreds of cyclists on a daily basis because some shop has Scott branding at the gate?

Do you cycle? I would be very sad to lose Jonkers, ride there at least twice a week.

I ride past that restaurant all the time, I've never stopped there but I have seen the Scott/Flandria signs and found it pretty logical that Scott is providing them with bicycles. There are no scott signs on the trails, but only specialized signs and so I made the conclusion that specialized are funding the maintenance of these trails. Although they're looking a bit worse for wear right now :P

I've been in stellenbosch since december and can honestly say i didnt even know there was a cafe there til all the branding showed up. good that theres a tap there, may have been one before but i never noticed. still, it doesn't look appealing at all and i see no reason to ever stop there when ride in is just down the road..

You want to close the MTB trails enjoyed by hundreds of cyclists on a daily basis because some shop has Scott branding at the gate?

Do you cycle? I would be very sad to lose Jonkers, ride there at least twice a week.

I ride past that restaurant all the time, I've never stopped there but I have seen the Scott/Flandria signs and found it pretty logical that Scott is providing them with bicycles. There are no scott signs on the trails, but only specialized signs and so I made the conclusion that specialized are funding the maintenance of these trails. Although they're looking a bit worse for wear right now :P

Yeah, but you are thinking RATIONALLY dude, not like a Hubber at all! :D ;)

The Jonkershoek Cafe is its own worse enemy to begin with, poor quality food at tourist prices and marginal service at best..

On my last outing there 2 months ago I noticed they had a couple grey specialized epics on their racks, which I assume are also rental bikes - didn't notice any scotts - Makes you wonder.

Closing trails will be cutting your nose to spite your face. Spaz stands to lose more if the trails are closed. Trailmansam has inextricably linked them with possible trail closures. If trails are closed, I for sure know which brand I will not consider for my next bike...

Closing trails will be cutting your nose to spite your face. Spaz stands to lose more if the trails are closed. Trailmansam has inextricably linked them with possible trail closures.

+1

OP must be new to internet forums. Completely misjudged reaction.

Ja sorry. I understand OP's frustration, but now they want to dick us to make a point. Not really fair to the riders hey?