Indoor trainer vs spinning bike

My wife and me had this same conversation about 3 weeks ago.as we would be sharing whatever we bought we opted for a spin bike, since it would have been a bit of a hastle to switch bikes and wheels everytime on the IDT.have been enjoying our Schwinn spinner since.sure its an older model,but it serves its purpose and cost us under R2k.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need your budget bester

Always a difficult one - dont want to cut cost now, ending up paying more later. However, I bought a new bike two months ago so have to keep it tight. Hoping to get away at around R3000 - R4000.

Cycleops Powerbeam Pro

Busy downloading some Alp routes now. Also uploaded some of my preferred local loops from strava. Makes ride any terrain indoors. It is extremely impressive

Space is not a problem, the intended space is however on the first floor of our house, so travelling up and down the stairs with a bike will be somewhat of one issue. I do however like the idea of spending the time on my bike on an indoor trainer, instead of another set-up. Decisions, decisions.

Always a difficult one - dont want to cut cost now, ending up paying more later. However, I bought a new bike two months ago so have to keep it tight. Hoping to get away at around R3000 - R4000.

Cool, in that bracket I would suggest a secondhand Kurt kenetic road machine or rock and roll. There is one in the classifieds, get it.

Couple it with trainer road or cycleops virtual training and you have a great package

Bester we at CW Cycles will have some great deals on Tacx trainers in the nexct few days. Sunday is my birthday and CWC is going to celebrate it with some good deals on many different items which are including some trainers.

Can I use my normal riding tyre, and what impact would an indoor trainer have on it?

Can I use my normal riding tyre, and what impact would an indoor trainer have on it?

Yep not a problem, It will increase the wear on the tyre but it is not massive. Alternative is to get a cheap spare wheel and put a turbo specific tyre on it. Less wear.

I just use my old road tyres on my trainer and just ride them to shreds, I dont find the wear to be too bad.

Watt bike if you can afford it is the way to go.

I do, its not ideal and if you can maybe get a dedicated training tyre, but you would need a second back wheel because its huge admin taking tyres on and off.

I just use my old road tyres on my trainer and just ride them to shreds, I dont find the wear to be too bad.

Watt bike if you can afford it is the way to go.

they are serious pieces of kit, but with a heavy tag...I would love one myself, but alas...

For me there are 4 different levels, budget wise when it comes to indoor trainers

Entry - cheap and cheerfull sub 2000 rand secondhand trainer from our classifieds

Middle - Kurt Kinetic road machine

Top-end - wahoo kickr or powerbeam pro

Shoot the lights out - Wattbike

The weekend before IM I punctured on the trainer. It was then that I decided to get a Wahoo Kickr. No rear tyre.

One of its many benefits...really great trainer that.

Oh and last point bester....look for trainers that don't lock you into software ie, you can only use the trainer / analyze your data using THEIR software and private comms protocols....

There has been shift wrt trainers and this thinking...trainer companies make trainers, and they do that well, software house create software and they do that well...they are not trying to be a jack of all trades. The companies that do, won't be relevant going forward

Been through this "cycle" myself and reckon my call is:

1. indoor trainer with dedicated bike - gearing/setup etc makes for realistic and relevant training

2. high end spin bike (or watt bike if you can!) with cleats and right saddle - lack of gearing not ideal

3. indoor trainer with your normal bike - the level of wear on the components is pretty harsh

4.low end spin bike....this will not last so rather take the money and buy a nice toy

But the end result for me, a concept 2 rowing machine for the quick 15/20 minute overall workout and then having identified a quiet road with a 5 minute gentle climb a couple minutes away from me. Hit that baby for 45/60 minutes of one off hard pushes or tabata intervals on the way up and recovery on the way down. Far more "FUN".