Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Yamaha of course is probably the most well known for this - they have got it right many times - XT500, RD350LC, the original '98 R1, the VMAX, and recently the MT-09.

But they have also stuffed up properly - google the GTS1000, BT1100 Bulldog, XZ550 Vision and the SZR660 for a laugh. Oh and I reckon that Niken thing is also going to be a huge flop.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the models that were before their time, the TRX of course is one of them, but also the MT-01 (not the MT-10), the TDR250 - the first real Sports Adventure bike before Ducati built the Multistrada, the MT-03 (original one) - compare that to the 390 KTM, Vitpilen and Svartpilen and remember that the MT-03 was designed in 2006....

My entire talk is based on how sometimes Motorcycle Companies get it right from the start - they read the market properly, they get the design spot on and the pricing is perfect - and those models just take off - think BMW R80G/S (the original Dual Sport bike), Honda CB750, Norton Commando - there are many.  But for every one they get spot on, there are also those that went horribly wrong - and those tend to end up in two groups - either they were so bad that no-one wanted them at all, both then and now (Triumph TT600, Bimota V-Due, Honda DN-01), or they were so far ahead if their time that only now are people realizing how good they actually were - bikes like the Buell 1125R, the Ducati 999, the GPZ750 Turbos and of course the TRX.  And these are the ones that are becoming collectible.

The V-Due was a cracker let down by a terrible attempt at fuel injection. It ultimately sank the company.

The sad part is guys who put carbs on have raved about the bike.

I know of a guy in Jhb who bought one 5 years ago at R200k and people were laughing. He sold it not too long ago for more than double to a US collector.

I agree on the Niken, hideous!!!!

Ouch, man, if I bin my dear old KLR, that 30 plus labour would buy me a new (to me) one!

Hope you are okay.

wrist poked and a coupe of bits n bobs

Taxi decided he needed my lane more than I did.

Had a similar incident/accident some time ago with my mc . Taxi oke had the audacity to volunteer his bank details so that I could compensate him for his damage. Edited by Tromp

Looks pretty good for a 250cc. b4cde992abe2db9dd93500588ca5793f.jpg

Great lil bike, the lil motor is unfortunately a tad underpowered when compared to the other makes with engines in this class. Should do 120 to 140 i reckon.

I had one of the first Vstroms ever made, VIN was many zeros 34 thus the 34th Vstrom ever built. IT was imported to ZA as part of the world launch but was never used and came onto the market.... great bike but the clutch basket judder at low revs was a pain but one worked around it... suzuki deserves way more credit for the vstrom as its a very very capable bike in its class but lacks 'houding' i guess.

Great lil bike, the lil motor is unfortunately a tad underpowered when compared to the other makes with engines in this class. Should do 120 to 140 i reckon.

I had one of the first Vstroms ever made, VIN was many zeros 34 thus the 34th Vstrom ever built. IT was imported to ZA as part of the world launch but was never used and came onto the market.... great bike but the clutch basket judder at low revs was a pain but one worked around it... suzuki deserves way more credit for the vstrom as its a very very capable bike in its class but lacks 'houding' i guess.

This one looks good, much better than the older/bigger V-strom's especially the 650 which I'm not particularly fond of. They say this one can hold 120 quite well.

Hi guy's, about 6 months ago I started rebuilding my Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD that has been lying in parts for the past six years.

Found a second bike with a blown motor to use as a donor for the rebuild.

Got the bike assembled and running well for the most part.

Still have to replace a few parts and do some cosmetic work but the bike is up and running again.6ae8e08eae8d4c4779cbeea7b67bdd5f.jpg

ac50df50d86d3bea2cbdf0067b7e486f.jpg

Edited by BenReaper