Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Current 8gs owner.

no issues (2013 spec)

been doing maintenence regularly. Did fork seals a while ago.

I get around 20k on a set of tyres as well as chain and sprockets.

consumption around 20km/l most of my miles are commuting, of which around 40% 2-up

the motor is quite awake for the weight of the bike. But then again, coming from. 650dakar previously, anything is more awake...

Have contacted two dealers this morning whom advertised bikes in my price range and both were unfortunately gone already.

The others I see are either unfinanceable or out of my price range.......or in Gauteng.

The missus and I are going to go have a look at a friends 800gs this afternoon to get a feel for it and check how it is for us comfort wise.

Also going round to another friend who owns a V-Strom to have a look at that aswell.

Think this will let us distinguish which would be a better suited option for us.

I am however starting to rethink my decision in the light of the uncertainty of what impact the Covid-19 virus might have on our economy in the near future.

Have contacted two dealers this morning whom advertised bikes in my price range and both were unfortunately gone already.

The others I see are either unfinanceable or out of my price range.......or in Gauteng.

The missus and I are going to go have a look at a friends 800gs this afternoon to get a feel for it and check how it is for us comfort wise.

Also going round to another friend who owns a V-Strom to have a look at that aswell.

Think this will let us distinguish which would be a better suited option for us.

I am however starting to rethink my decision in the light of the uncertainty of what impact the Covid-19 virus might have on our economy in the near future.

Please keep us updated. How tall are you?

Look at the Triumph Tiger 800XC, I had one and it was an amazing bike.

Can't compare to any of the other in its segment though. I have ridden my dad's DL650, and while it is a great bike, the tiger was much better. But completely different segments too.

The Triumphs look like great bikes and a great contender for the GS, but unfortunately they are mostly out of my price range.

I did see an older V-Strom 1000 for a good price this morning. Would be a great bike to get by on for a year or three until I can afford to upgrade to a DL1000xt.

The Triumphs look like great bikes and a great contender for the GS, but unfortunately they are mostly out of my price range.

I did see an older V-Strom 1000 for a good price this morning. Would be a great bike to get by on for a year or three until I can afford to upgrade to a DL1000xt.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/new-germany/triumph-tiger-800xc/1006920505320911305600209

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/new-germany/triumph-tiger-800-xc/1006472933550911305600209

Just be very sure of what you are getting the bike for.

The tiger and 800gs cannot be compared to the v-strom 1000.

The former can very easily be ridden offroad and will be very competent. The V-strom is very much a road bike with the looks of something that could go offroad but will probably be horrible and more than likely break.

Just something to think of.

Please keep us updated. How tall are you?

Will keep you posted.

I'm 1,79m tall and weight in at 101kg, my wife is about 1,76 and pretty close weight wise.

To give you an idea here we are on the DR before the 2018 Canola run, the first and last offroad trip we did together as we realized this is not exactly a 2up bike.

4fe945c300acbfaa29701c93c0667f04.jpg

Will keep you posted.

I'm 1,79m tall and weight in at 101kg, my wife is about 1,76 and pretty close weight wise.

To give you an idea here we are on the DR before the 2018 Canola run, the first and last offroad trip we did together as we realized this is not exactly a 2up bike.

4fe945c300acbfaa29701c93c0667f04.jpg

Ok sweet thanks. I'm 1.78 so that matches pretty good. interested to see what the gs800 will be like height-wise for us shorter people..

Just be very sure of what you are getting the bike for.

The tiger and 800gs cannot be compared to the v-strom 1000.

The former can very easily be ridden offroad and will be very competent. The V-strom is very much a road bike with the looks of something that could go offroad but will probably be horrible and more than likely break.

Just something to think of.

I realize I will be limited for offroad riding with a V-Strom, just not sure yet how much as we haven't done any real offroad touring yet so not sure what were in for.

The V-Strom has always popped up in my price bracket.

As mentioned above we've only ever ventured offroad on the DR and although it was a horrible ride with the bike I still maintain for that type of riding it was a great bike.

I'm hoping the 800gs will give us a more comfortable and powerfull but equally ruggedly ready experience as the DR.

I guess I'm hoping if I buy an older V-Strom we will manage to get buy until I can afford something better equipped.

If that makes sense....

Saw a few other bikes from this shop aswell, but I'm a hands on guy for the most part, I'd like to be able to go have a look and touch and possibly test if I was interested in a bike.

Those guy's are on the other side of the country.

The V-Strom range are great bikes and the best bang for buck in the adventure tourer market. I had a 1000 Strom and it went all over sub saharan africa. Thick sand in Mozambique to dirt roads in Botswana. It handled it all well. Not the best for when the road gets bumpy but taking costs into account it was a fine motorcycle and really came into its own on smooth dirt and highways. WEnt through Baviaans a number of times and into Die hel too. No worries. 

And the strom is relatively cheap in comparison to the others. Dont treat it like a dirt bike and it will be great. Awesome fuel economy, reliable as an anvil and a stonking V twin motor which has been around for a long while now in 650 form. 

Dont look at the strom as a make do bike , its a great bike and the 650 will have more than enough power relative to the DR. 

Edit: DOnt buy the 1000 strom, the 650 is plentiful. When i bought mine only the 1000 was avaiable otherwise i would have bought a 650.  I had VIN number 34 Strom. 34th strom ever made. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

I realize I will be limited for offroad riding with a V-Strom, just not sure yet how much as we haven't done any real offroad touring yet so not sure what were in for.

The V-Strom has always popped up in my price bracket.

As mentioned above we've only ever ventured offroad on the DR and although it was a horrible ride with the bike I still maintain for that type of riding it was a great bike.

I'm hoping the 800gs will give us a more comfortable and powerfull but equally ruggedly ready experience as the DR.

I guess I'm hoping if I buy an older V-Strom we will manage to get buy until I can afford something better equipped.

If that makes sense....

Having had a 800gs, I rate it highly. In fact, considering selling my 1200gs and getting the 800gs again.

I didn't do much in terms of long trips with a pillion, but I understand it's not the most comfortable place for a pillion with the fuel tank being under the seat. Perhaps someone here with pillion experience could comment?

Best test ride with the wife regardless.

The V-Strom range are great bikes and the best bang for buck in the adventure tourer market. I had a 1000 Strom and it went all over sub saharan africa. Thick sand in Mozambique to dirt roads in Botswana. It handled it all well. Not the best for when the road gets bumpy but taking costs into account it was a fine motorcycle and really came into its own on smooth dirt and highways. WEnt through Baviaans a number of times and into Die hel too. No worries.

And the strom is relatively cheap in comparison to the others. Dont treat it like a dirt bike and it will be great. Awesome fuel economy, reliable as an anvil and a stonking V twin motor which has been around for a long while now in 650 form.

Dont look at the strom as a make do bike , its a great bike and the 650 will have more than enough power relative to the DR.

Edit: DOnt buy the 1000 strom, the 650 is plentiful. When i bought mine only the 1000 was avaiable otherwise i would have bought a 650. I had VIN number 34 Strom. 34th strom ever made.

There is a very neat, clean, low mileage 1000 Strom available now for a decent price.

I probably won't be wandering across our borders soon but the trips I have in mind do consist of places like Die Hell, Baviaans Kloof and some Karoo riding.

I won't be doing any GS Trophy type stuff soon. I'm basically just a gravel road guy. If we go anywhere with the bakkie I'll check to see if there's any gravel roads to get there by. As other mountain bikers will know, some of the best views are found off the beaten path.

I am still keeping my DR for playing in the bush or hopefully doing the odd funduro soon but need something reliable with a push button start to able to hop on and go almost anywhere on a whim.

Both my DR and my SRAD have left me stranded or limping home more than once in 2019 and it's become really frustrating.

Ek is moeg gevkn sukkel met die goed!

There is a very neat, clean, low mileage 1000 Strom available now for a decent price.

I probably won't be wandering across our borders soon but the trips I have in mind do consist of places like Die Hell, Baviaans Kloof and some Karoo riding.

I won't be doing any GS Trophy type stuff soon. I'm basically just a gravel road guy. If we go anywhere with the bakkie I'll check to see if there's any gravel roads to get there by. As other mountain bikers will know, some of the best views are found off the beaten path.

I am still keeping my DR for playing in the bush or hopefully doing the odd funduro soon but need something reliable with a push button start to able to hop on and go almost anywhere on a whim.

Both my DR and my SRAD have left me stranded or limping home more than once in 2019 and it's become really frustrating.

Ek is moeg gevkn sukkel met die goed!

Nothing wrong with the 1000 if you can get it for decent money, just wanted to point out that the 650 is more than capable too.