Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

None of them will go and shout it from the rooftops, but if you get a Ducati expert alone and promise not to quote them they will admit that the 999 is actually a much better bike than the 916/998 range.....

But it aint got that houding... 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I love the SP1 and 2, but that Fire Storm is not looking too bad these days! I also love the 916 to 998 then 1098 Ducatis but the 999 is also looking a little collectable now, at way under the price of a fine 916 onwards in good nick.

The 916/996 range are undeniably the most sought after models. For me it's the 999 though.

Based on Andymans comment it does seem the way to go for a modestly priced collectable Ducati...............but I do love the 1098!

I would get a 748 if finances allow...same styling a l lil less go

Based on Andymans comment it does seem the way to go for a modestly priced collectable Ducati...............but I do love the 1098!

They are very pretty. For me with the 999 I don't know how to explain other than the afrikaans saying "hy is mooi van lelikgeid".

I think the 999 made an impression as it came out in 2003 when I was in matric and it was the hot new **** in an very impressionable time of my life.....or something like that.

If I'm not mistaken the 848 was preduced alongside the 1098 as the smaller brother.

The 748 ran with the 916/996/998 range.

Yes. That’s right.

The 748 should be cheaper but with the same 916 styling.

Mate of mine had a 996 sps which he bought from the Frisoli crowd back in the day. Beautiful machine.

Edited by IceCreamMan

They are very pretty. For me with the 999 I don't know how to explain other than the afrikaans saying "hy is mooi van lelikgeid".

I think the 999 made an impression as it came out in 2003 when I was in matric and it was the hot new **** in an very impressionable time of my life.....or something like that.

Like a Hayabusa then.........another ugly/ beautiful beast I would love to own.

"it's so ugly it's beautiful / cute"

The 999... it's grown on me over the years, but when it first came out I hated it. It was such a rapid departure from the timelessly stylish 916/8/96/98 series that it seemed out of place. But it was just a change in design philosophy. 

The Panigale is bloody gorgeous, but in a completely different way to the 996 etc. It's like a runway model showing the latest clothing in "perfect, aggressive beauty" that has you looking back for more 'cos it's just so eye catching, vs someone like, say, Selma Hayek who's just... CLASSY and can pul eyes away from even the "most perfect" model because she's just so... effortlessly beautiful. 

To put it more bluntly... dolled up to the max with a monumental amount of design work, vs something that just IS (something being the bike, not a model :lol:)

If you get my drift. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

If I'm not mistaken the 848 was preduced alongside the 1098 as the smaller brother.

The 748 ran with the 916/996/998 range.

There's a 749 too - to go with the 999.  Now those are rare, purely because no-one bought them so there are very few around so by default are very collectible.

I've been lucky enough to have both a 748 and a 916 in my garage at different times - not owned, but facilitated for my brothers who bought them.  So I a have ridden them both.  The 748 I felt was a bit like my old 350 YPVS - not a lot of low down but when you revved it it really took off - and then it was quick - enough to get you into serious trouble if you were not concentrating.  So it was a real pain in town - rev it like crazy to avoid stalling at the robot and then climb on the brakes quickly before you hit the car in front of you.  The 916 was a lot easier to ride slowly but it was also really scary if you gave it a handful.  The build quality on both of them wasn't great either hey - the panels fitted like those fiberglass race fairings we used to fit on our R1 and R6 race bikes, except these were the OEM ones!  Most of the time I had them was spent letting them idle in the garage - because both had full Termignoni pipes and combined with the clutch rattle just sounded brilliant.  They were lovely to look at and super exotic but I didn't really feel too much sadness when my brothers collected them.  I guess different strokes, but I'm also of the opinion that owning a 90's classic should also not be a PITA so I would probably go with a Jap - SP1/2 '98 R1, ZXR750 - all fairly extreme, but a bit more accommodating.

I may have mentioned this before, but a mate of mine has a mint condition 916.

Almost no KM

Full arrow kit (I believe it was transitional from termignoni and back) I dunno.

Man I lust after that bike. It just sits in his studio. On display!

cf018f1903fbac6c9a80f7d3b2c222b7.jpg

What a beauty. I got a 2001 748S, 23,000 km. Bought it second hand in 2003 with 2,100 km. I was out the country a lot over the years so didn't have lots of opportunity to ride. Still and absolute pleasure to ride and that v twin sound. 

None of them will go and shout it from the rooftops, but if you get a Ducati expert alone and promise not to quote them they will admit that the 999 is actually a much better bike than the 916/998 range.....

I rode the 998 and the 999 back to back a few times. The 999 is a much better bike, hands down.

But we don't lust after the better bikes do we :)