Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Yup the group concurs - it is a Phelon and Moore.  So the next question is, with it being so unusual, does it still exist somewhere in SA i wonder

Thanks Andy, also learnt something today!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup the group concurs - it is a Phelon and Moore.  So the next question is, with it being so unusual, does it still exist somewhere in SA i wonder

Sorry, I never saw the bike and I don't know if anyone in the family knows what happened to it. :(

The house in the background of the photo is "Mount Prospect". A farm in Constantia that was sub-divided in the 1970's. My Grandad worked as a manager there before he got married and started his own farm. The farm house still exists but it is derelict and due for demolition as soon at the developers', neighbours' and city council lawyers come to an agreement. Maybe the remains of the bike will be found burried on the property when the bull dozers move in.

Bikes that we let go and regretted.

This a twin carb XR 500RE. I elected to sell it after realising that the spares for the engine were harder to come by than the longer stroke single carb model.......oh and that it tried to kill me several times!!!

Miss the beast though. Sold it for naff all back in around 2012.post-52292-0-06732400-1587755129_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-14023800-1587755178_thumb.jpeg

Bikes that we let go and regretted.

This a twin carb XR 500RE. I elected to sell it after realising that the spares for the engine were harder to come by than the longer stroke single carb model.......oh and that it tried to kill me several times!!!

Miss the beast though. Sold it for naff all back in around 2012.attachicon.gif2F8D1BD4-6E17-4296-916A-B7DAF277A71E.jpegattachicon.gif53A8F436-DE56-479C-9D79-636F7143AC5B.jpeg

LOVE IT!!! How was the she to ride?

The engine on mine has been completely refurbed and is waiting for the frame to be powdercoated. 

It's got a chopped frame, but this is the eventual goal, but with a more traditional exhaust and a couple other custom features. My mate has another one in stock format that we're gonna get stuck into properly when LD is over. 

Those original spec XR's can go for a decent sum nowadays!

post-3056-0-82589900-1587798020_thumb.png

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

LOVE IT!!! How was the she to ride?

The engine on mine has been completely refurbed and is waiting for the frame to be powdercoated. 

It's got a chopped frame, but this is the eventual goal, but with a more traditional exhaust and a couple other custom features. My mate has another one in stock format that we're gonna get stuck into properly when LD is over. 

Those original spec XR's can go for a decent sum nowadays!

I enjoyed the bike a lot. It was very shabby when I bought it but with a little effort it became a pleasure to use on the trails around Benoni...............until trying to kick start on the side a steep hill, or anywhere for that matter! I could set it up to kick and it would laugh at me at many attempts until suddenly bursting in to life! Am sorry I sold it though.

Definitely my stock 1983 RD350YPVS

2nd would be my Suzuki TL1000R

Same here.

Then my 1991 TZR250 3MA

Then my custom 1980 XS Eleven Special. 

Ja/nee, I miss bikes out of nostalgia; my old Husky 360, 400 and 430 WR's, good times on those bangers. The XR 600 and TT 600 not so much. Spent time at Katse Dam and Kosi Bay Lodge kicking those things; not missed at all. E start all the way.

As I recall Neil Woolridge had a year or so of sponsorship on the XR 500's after the XR 200 but they let him down quite regularly. Shifted to Kawasaki and won the Roof on a KX 500.

Same here.

Then my 1991 TZR250 3MA

Then my custom 1980 XS Eleven Special.

And a TZR....beautiful, and yes, a keeer too. Prices rising. Even trying to find a 125 of any manufacturer is becomimg difficult. I am keen on some of these 50’s to collect but am reluctant to part with 35 thou (and the rest) for such a small bike!

The two bikes I miss the most were both stolen, not sold. My Honda cb750c and my '69 150 sprint.

Aye...not lekker.

In October 1983 my Honda 400 F was stolen from outside The Carlton Hotel in Josie while I was at work. I saw them riding the bike down Main street the following day and chased them, got the bike back but the buggars got away. In less than 24 hours they had thrashed it, broken rings in 3 of the 4 cylinders if I remember correctly. I just came across the invoice for the rebuild yesterday while clearing my study......R458,83! Sounds cheap, but I had only paid R450 in July of that year for the 8 year old bike!

Anyways.......I still have it now.

Aye...not lekker.

In October 1983 my Honda 400 F was stolen from outside The Carlton Hotel in Josie while I was at work. I saw them riding the bike down Main street the following day and chased them, got the bike back but the buggars got away. In less than 24 hours they had thrashed it, broken rings in 3 of the 4 cylinders if I remember correctly. I just came across the invoice for the rebuild yesterday while clearing my study......R458,83! Sounds cheap, but I had only paid R450 in July of that year for the 8 year old bike!

Anyways.......I still have it now.

You lucky you still what is a beautiful bike! Every now and then I do a search for cb750c for sale but they are like hen's teeth! (I also don't know if I'd sell my dakar if I found one...)