Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Does that nice looking chrome air intake hide a decent air filter inside it?

Historically bikes of that era sucked air straight as it came, incl dust and whatever was kicked up by the rear wheel?

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope - the mesh is just there to stop mice and small birds from making a nests when its parked in the garage.  And to stop small lizards being sucked in on the trail!

It's sister bike in the garage is completely open.....

post-15215-0-70967400-1510060244_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming that results in premature/accelerated wear on the piston and rings relative to more modern bikes with air filters?

I'm assuming that results in premature/accelerated wear on the piston and rings relative to more modern bikes with air filters?

Definitely.  But we really only use these bikes once, maybe twice a year and unless we can really help it, only in good weather so the wear will occur over a much longer period.  If I was going to use either of them every day to commute, or the Scrambler to actually take part off road, I would have definitely fitted an air filter.  The original factory bikes that were actually used to race had a modification where they moved the oil tank to the opposite side of the bike to allow for an air filter.  I thought about doing this to my bike, but I had a chat to a guy in Aus who has an original and he reckons the factory mod is a real pain because it moves the oil tank to a position which gets in the way of adjusting the chains easily.  And it also looks a bit odd because none of the lines match up.

The pics below are from the genuine bike....

post-15215-0-39267600-1510119747_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-64537500-1510119763_thumb.jpg

Another frustrating weekend of not being able to run the engine.  Oil tank is still a few days away from being done, so i had to be content with doing some of the smaller things like the footpegs and brake lever.  But I can't weld them finally because I need to have the seat in place to check the riding position, and I can't have the seat finished because I need to have it shaped to suit the tank.  Which means I need the tank, which you guessed it, is still with the painter  :cursing:

post-15215-0-09834700-1510552433_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-33343200-1510552454_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-95715500-1510552480_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-39605300-1510552494_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-66355500-1510552506_thumb.jpg

Well guys - there we go.  From and engine under a bench and a frame hanging in the roof it ran yesterday for the first time is probably 30 years.  I have a video, but until I figure out how to post it on youtube, this pic will have to do!

post-15215-0-27012700-1511068396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andymann

Awesome, is the older oom holding a medical drip connected to the bike? :clap:

Haha - clever.  It's however one of those special tools you need when you rebuild bikes.  A koo jam tin with a tap soldered to the bottom to hold petrol!

Thanks all - quite a few small things to go still but overall it actually sounds pretty good - and we bypassed oil return to tank to pump directly into a tin and there were no nasty surprises when we checked the oil afterwards.

It actually felt quite strong too - even gave me a little kick back on the first kick just to remind me it needs to be taken seriously.....

• 2 weeks later...