Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

4 hours ago, patches said:

Such a pity that Alta went bust. I remember their Redbull Straight Rythm exploits and when Lyndon Poskit sadly got his one stolen on the way to compete in Erzberg.

Damn you Harley Davidson for playing part in tanking them!

Ps. I know the purists will say that motorcycles have no business being powered by anything but hydrocarbons, haha

Jensen Beeler from Asphalt and Rubber has explained this in more detail on his podcast.
Essentially they tanked Alta and one of the leads their now works for their electric bike division.
This to try and help them get out of the death spiral they find themselves in. Harley is in big trouble, sales are dropping like a stone and their new lines aren't as great as they would hope. The electric thing is also not working, they have dropped their prices like crazy and the sales are still not coming.......

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Thanks for the info. I currently use a Wild Dog but need to reassess. Can you please give me your guy's username?

Operator is his Wild Dog forum name

On 2/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, sawystertrance said:

I have a question to you all on insurance:

I have my bike on comprehensive cover, costing me about R700 pm. It is not on HP. 

I'm looking to cut those costs.

What criteria, other than if it is financed, do you guys use to decide whether to go with comprehensive or just basic cover?

Cheers.

Keep it fully insured, but tell your insurance co. to bring the cost down ... then once they bring this down, ask them to also look at all your other goodies you have insured with then to bring that cost down.

When I did mine, they wanted more than they first quoted me, we did a little sing and dance, they could not do much more on the bike, but brought the car and house down considerably and dropped the excess amount on all three.

Walked away with a higher than expected bike insurance, but with a monthly bill with better excess costs than when they were still under quoting on the bike

By the way ... Sissy bars rock for getting kit around ... had to bring some extra baggage back from Namibia today ... all you need are enough bungy cords :P

The kit was at just the right distance from the seat to the sissy bar to give really comfortable back rest.

image.png.c086e436c02a596fffb7c96f832e4b9b.pngimage.png.6f89c5e9e1d49cc877989e6ffc8e23a0.png

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

By the way ... Sissy bars rock for getting kit around ... had to bring some extra baggage back from Namibia today ... all you need are enough bungy cords :P

The kit was at just the right distance from the seat to the sissy bar to give really comfortable back rest.

image.png.c086e436c02a596fffb7c96f832e4b9b.pngimage.png.6f89c5e9e1d49cc877989e6ffc8e23a0.png

You do know a helmet dropped from a seat, even at girlie Harley heights, is a helmet done and dusted??

13 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

You do know a helmet dropped from a seat, even at girlie Harley heights, is a helmet done and dusted??

Been there, done that .... I freaking checked that helmet a good couple of times, then once more before quickly snapping the pics

22 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Is this genuine Steven? My trusty Airoh is up for replacement anyway but it has been dropped and banged (with head inside) a few times.  Considering the Bell adventure helmet. Shoei, Arai etc a bit pricey. $10 head, $10 helmet; remember the Bell ad.  

3 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Is this genuine Steven? My trusty Airoh is up for replacement anyway but it has been dropped and banged (with head inside) a few times.  Considering the Bell adventure helmet. Shoei, Arai etc a bit pricey. $10 head, $10 helmet; remember the Bell ad.  

Indeed. The helmet can actually have hairline crack(s) in it. My clear carbon helmet fell of my seat, I was fortunate as it just had a bruise in the clear coat. Painted helmets conceal all the damage.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:18 AM, patches said:

Yeah, loads of insurance write-offs here in NZ on bikes with pretty minor damage. As you say, the cost of parts relative to the vehicle is exorbitant. The insurers sell the bike (or what remains of it) on the $1 auctions.

Additional to comprehensive cover, another factor to consider is the value insured. Bikes like mine (European enduro bikes) drop MASSIVELY in market value in a very short space of time. So I have insured mine for replacement value.

I also add insurance of any custom parts (like my rally kit) and my gear (good helmets are pricey. So in total I pay equiv of about R600pm for my 450 and gear which is insured for about R230,000 (R180,000 bike, R30,000 custom parts, R20,000 gear).

I bet the theft contingent of the price is minuscule compared to the SA equivalent 

21 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Indeed. The helmet can actually have hairline crack(s) in it. My clear carbon helmet fell of my seat, I was fortunate as it just had a bruise in the clear coat. Painted helmets conceal all the damage.

If it us useless that easy, how can it save your noggin a proper crash?

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Same as your bicycle helmet, replace after crash. Also it should have safety ratings labelled on or inside the helmet. If there is nothing, then stay away.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:58 AM, mazambaan said:

iT HAS DONE ITS JOB ABSORBING AN IMPACT.

ALSO THEY HAVE A 5YEAR LIFESPAN

49 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

iT HAS DONE ITS JOB ABSORBING AN IMPACT.

ALSO THEY HAVE A 5YEAR LIFESPAN

Thanks guys and trying not to go off at a tangent but reason I ask is that in enduros many riders fall many times (well, I did , back in the day), often the helmet takes a minor knock or two, every day you ride; even the pro's.

Simply not practical to replace after every knock; a "big" one, for sure.  Five year lifespan is also very sensible, particularly for dirt bikes and MTB.

If you google: "offroad motorcycle helmet replacement after a minor fall" this is but one article of 100's.
Can't comment on the enduro fall scenario but any knock to the head should be a replacement. Not even getting into the trauma assessment that should follow a hit to the head.......

https://www.charlesowen.com/guides/why-should-you-replace-your-helmet-after-a-fall.html

On 2/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, Hairy said:

Now you're a chopper guy.😉