Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

23 hours ago, Hairy said:

260K, but the one to get is 280K
image.png.e45ded4cf8812e6f5ce5676e497625ac.png

BUT

You can get a Tenere 700 for 200K .... so there is that.

image.png.45ba44c060c4eca0df08928c5404e7b9.png

image.png.0a798316da750337fad68b37803a825a.png

It is neither here nor there for me right now as I am just doing my homework, and I really like my Fat Bob...actually met a guy today who was also on a custom sprayed 2008 FB .. had a good chat

I have owned my Guzzi V50 for nearly 40 of its 43 years. It has basically the same engine as the 85TT.

My V50 still runs beautifully, is great fun to ride, has excellent handling and useful in traffic. And it sounds and feels like a Guzzi! It is still possible to get most spares (ex import from Europe) as they are used on many other Guzzi's and some other bikes. Parts prices are reasonable compared to those for modern bikes from local dealerships. But it does need some cosmetic work - that is a project for a future date.

I don't plan to sell the V50, and I am not planning to buy another bike. But if I were I would have a good look at the 85TT.

The difference between the 85TT and the T700 is that you can do wheelies on an T700 but you would not bother keeping one for 40 years, even if it could last that long.

I understand if I lived in London, my V50 would be exempt from congestion and pollution charges, because of its age. That would make it an excellent bike to own there!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, i24 said:

I have owned my Guzzi V50 for nearly 40 of its 43 years. It has basically the same engine as the 85TT.

My V50 still runs beautifully, is great fun to ride, has excellent handling and useful in traffic. And it sounds and feels like a Guzzi! It is still possible to get most spares (ex import from Europe) as they are used on many other Guzzi's and some other bikes. Parts prices are reasonable compared to those for modern bikes from local dealerships. But it does need some cosmetic work - that is a project for a future date.

I don't plan to sell the V50, and I am not planning to buy another bike. But if I were I would have a good look at the 85TT.

The difference between the 85TT and the T700 is that you can do wheelies on an T700 but you would not bother keeping one for 40 years, even if it could last that long.

I understand if I lived in London, my V50 would be exempt from congestion and pollution charges, because of its age. That would make it an excellent bike to own there!

I think at 40 years one is exempt from Tax and MOT, not congestion and pollution charges.

bikes are exempt from congestion charges but older than 2007 and it pays emissions charge which is around 13 quid a day. 

edit: I got it wrong. If you have registered the vehicle as a historic you are exempt from emissions…next year my gamma is 40 years old. Gonna love riding that into london. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

On 5/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, IceCreamMan said:

The V85TT can be had for around 10 grand here and around 11 with luggage. Some deals to be had and discounts offered. Not to many around. 

the aprillia 660 is around 10 500. No discounts as I believe they selling more than they can bring in. The tenere is around 9500 and I reckon the best bang for buck adventure bike out there. 

the new desert fox will be 14 grand for the base model, I expect long waiting lists. 

And the new KLR650?

32 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

And the new KLR650?

Not available in Europe. I don’t think the motor is euro 5 compliant even with FI. 

but yes, great value and proven bike 

Edited by IceCreamMan

On 5/11/2022 at 8:02 PM, IceCreamMan said:

edit: I got it wrong. If you have registered the vehicle as a historic you are exempt from emissions…next year my gamma is 40 years old. Gonna love riding that into london. 

Take your gamma for a ride round London for me and I will ride the guzzi around Cape Town for you! 🙃😉

52 minutes ago, i24 said:

Take your gamma for a ride round London for me and I will ride the guzzi around Cape Town for you! 🙃😉

Deal. 

5 hours ago, i24 said:

Pitcha's or the Guzzi never happened 

RAIN

How/what do you riff raff use when riding in the rain?

Is a good old contractors thick plastic rain suite with a welded double seams kind of vibe do the trick, or does one have to go large for proper motorcycle kit?
I need to get a bloody pinlock for my visor, at least it is pinlock ready

14 minutes ago, Hairy said:

RAIN

Is a good old contractors thick plastic rain suite with a welded double seams kind of vibe do the trick, or does one have to go large for proper motorcycle kit?

Haven't ride in rain personally but might not be too bad of an idea, but ideally I'll do it over the weekend just to get used to it before tackling the commuting in rain between cars.

As for gear, a lot of people said get yourself the cheap Kooperasie rain suite and fit it over your riding gear.

And yeah, pinlock is a must.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

RAIN

When I was commuting everyday by bike (which was nearly 20 yrs ago! 😬) I used a two piece Oxford rainsuit. It was a definite step up from the rubberised rainsuit you used to be able to get from Cape Union Mart etc. and, with no hood and velcro straps etc, didn't flap in the wind etc. Kept me dry on the ride from the northern suburbs to the southern suburbs on the pouring Cape winter days.  I see Oxford stuff is still available...

2 hours ago, Stoffel76 said:

When I was commuting everyday by bike (which was nearly 20 yrs ago! 😬) I used a two piece Oxford rainsuit. It was a definite step up from the rubberised rainsuit you used to be able to get from Cape Union Mart etc. and, with no hood and velcro straps etc, didn't flap in the wind etc. Kept me dry on the ride from the northern suburbs to the southern suburbs on the pouring Cape winter days.  I see Oxford stuff is still available...

Thanks, I have seen them pop up most of the local on line stores.

Was just trying to figure out if the extra over price is worth it vs the other options.

Most of my riding will be in the dry, but if I have a meeting and it is raining, I am still riding, so need to make the call on what to get.

Side rain riding story.

So I landed late last night at the airport, get on the road and it blood starts to rain. All good, most cars AND taxis are chilled and driving well. On the Westcoast Road approaching Sunset Beach there is a red traffic light, enough time to slowly come to a stop, and I watched in my mirrors as a car approaches and keeps a decent pace, I start analysing escape routes, then the dude swings to the other lane and proceeds to jump the red light. 

I get on the gas, catch him at the next light where cars stopped at the light forced him to wait, I politely inform him to stop at the red lights .... some lovely lady a few lanes back shouts encouragement. Leave from here and I get a bit ahead of the cars, checking my rear this chop comes up behind me with his brights on. 

Now he and his buddy are in some clapped out car, and even my HD is far faster than them, so I open up (This was close to 11am) on a 70km road that is completely open in front of my. I would have been doing about 130km / 140km very shortly after this, with the chop in the distance trying to keep up. What Mr Chop and I did not know is that there was a traffic cop up ahead standing with his camera pointed our way from the front ....... no a problem for me, but a problem for Mr Chop with is plate on the front of his car.

5 hours ago, Hairy said:

RAIN

I have used AgriStore rains suits for ages but find the trousers rip up in the wind down at the ankles. I have recently been using an Oxford two piece……worth the money. I ride in all weather , not bothered about the rain. I have waterproof clothing and boots. 

So……I have just bought this little thumper for my collection. A 1983 XL with roadworthy.  Have not told the Missus yet, wonder what she will say when it turns up in Hoekwil!!!! I have not seen it as am still in Mid East, home mid June!50BA483E-E011-4E43-A1D0-94C758C9CEE8.jpeg.8f8fe15faf849d2dca0f59eb43c984de.jpeg

Edited by Spokey
Additional comment

On 5/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Andymann said:

A little sneak peek - it's not done yet but I just had to see if the idea I had worked.

Just needs some gold rims now and it will be perfect!

20220509_190619.jpg

This is gorgeous!