Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

47 minutes ago, Spokey said:

So……I have just bought this little thumper for my collection. A 1983 XL with roadworthy.  Have not told the Missus yet, wonder what she will say when it turns up in Hoekwil!!!! I have not seen it as am still in Mid East, home mid June!50BA483E-E011-4E43-A1D0-94C758C9CEE8.jpeg.8f8fe15faf849d2dca0f59eb43c984de.jpeg

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission 😉

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out this morning early before sunrise and decided I have had enough of my visor fogging up. Bought a pin lock on the way home and I deeply regret not getting one sooner ... what an amazing bit of low tech that every helmet should be sold with.

All Done.  Went out for a test ride, no issues.  Running really well but I took it easy because it's a new engine.  It's probably a bit loud for 50yo Andymann, but 17yo Andymann would probably have put on the full Bosson system and not just the tailpiece and thrashed it everywhere he went.  Ironically, my 85yo Father who will be riding it in the rally behaved like a teenager yesterday and kept on blasting it up and down the road.  Something about running it in and it needs to go through heat cycles etc. Apparently these old guys know a thing or two because when I rode it again later its really flying now.  Gives the 175 a good run for its money.

20220514_095946.jpg

20220514_100022.jpg

18 minutes ago, Andymann said:

All Done.  Went out for a test ride, no issues.  Running really well but I took it easy because it's a new engine.  It's probably a bit loud for 50yo Andymann, but 17yo Andymann would probably have put on the full Bosson system and not just the tailpiece and thrashed it everywhere he went.  Ironically, my 85yo Father who will be riding it in the rally behaved like a teenager yesterday and kept on blasting it up and down the road.  Something about running it in and it needs to go through heat cycles etc. Apparently these old guys know a thing or two because when I rode it again later its really flying now.  Gives the 175 a good run for its money.

20220514_095946.jpg

20220514_100022.jpg

Beautiful bike, I really like this……and the 175 too. I should look for something similar for my wife to learn to ride on.

1 hour ago, Andymann said:

20220514_095946.jpg

20220514_100022.jpg

Awesome bike, but even more awesome that you can experience this with your father

Random question .... what is the ride on the N1 like from CT to JHB, or the other way around again?

It looks like I am going to be traveling to JHB a lot in the near future and I like the idea of doing the route by bike at least once. Given work and time commitments it would have to be a one day ride straight through for each trip.

Edited by Hairy

3 hours ago, Spokey said:

Beautiful bike, I really like this……and the 175 too. I should look for something similar for my wife to learn to ride on.

Get her one of the aircooled 125's or 175's.  They are really easy to ride, very forgiving and if she has a bit of an oops, parts are still available. The LC parts are becoming pretty scarce.

figured some of you might like the 2t sound, Dirt riders first time on a bike with slick tires.  learnt the hard way you don't bounce when you crash on pavement and splat , 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, Hairy said:

Thanks, I have seen them pop up most of the local on line stores.

Was just trying to figure out if the extra over price is worth it vs the other options.

Most of my riding will be in the dry, but if I have a meeting and it is raining, I am still riding, so need to make the call on what to get.

Side rain riding story.

So I landed late last night at the airport, get on the road and it blood starts to rain. All good, most cars AND taxis are chilled and driving well. On the Westcoast Road approaching Sunset Beach there is a red traffic light, enough time to slowly come to a stop, and I watched in my mirrors as a car approaches and keeps a decent pace, I start analysing escape routes, then the dude swings to the other lane and proceeds to jump the red light. 

I get on the gas, catch him at the next light where cars stopped at the light forced him to wait, I politely inform him to stop at the red lights .... some lovely lady a few lanes back shouts encouragement. Leave from here and I get a bit ahead of the cars, checking my rear this chop comes up behind me with his brights on. 

Now he and his buddy are in some clapped out car, and even my HD is far faster than them, so I open up (This was close to 11am) on a 70km road that is completely open in front of my. I would have been doing about 130km / 140km very shortly after this, with the chop in the distance trying to keep up. What Mr Chop and I did not know is that there was a traffic cop up ahead standing with his camera pointed our way from the front ....... no a problem for me, but a problem for Mr Chop with is plate on the front of his car.

There are lots of Mr Chops out there... You gotta be so careful though, Mr Chops ego is a very fragile but his metal cage less so... He can end up with a small dent in his bumper, you end up mangled in ICU.

Great to see the old dual purpose bikes still running... gives me hope.

My restoration project is proceeding albeit slowly. Carb parts have arrived but that works on hold while I sort the chassis out. Ran into a problem with the main swingarm bolt which I wanted to remove to get the swingarm off to paint. There is no play in the swingarm bearings and it moves freely so I decided  that rather than resorting to extreme force or complicated engineering I would leave it in situ and paint it on the bike...So after a clean up, rust converting under coat spray and one coat of silver, it looks like this...

Next step after another two coats will be to mask off the swingarm and get the white paint out for the frame. Then shock, linkage and rear wheel back on before I move further forward. Whew...

Swingarm one coat.jpg

Don't know if any follows RRC Restoration on YouTube but he's been restoring and rebuilding and old CR250.

Edited by Thug
spelling

On 5/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, Hairy said:

Pitcha's or the Guzzi never happened 

You asked, so I went to take a pic. It looked a bit dusty, so I washed it and ended up hosing it down. Then I had to get it dry again, so easiest was to take it for a ride 😃

(then I had to resize and rotate the pics to get them to display here..)

IMG_20220515_100658656_HDR.resized.jpg

IMG_20220515_100619297_HDR.resized.jpg

33 minutes ago, i24 said:

You asked, so I went to take a pic. It looked a bit dusty, so I washed it and ended up hosing it down. Then I had to get it dry again, so easiest was to take it for a ride 😃

(then I had to resize and rotate the pics to get them to display here..)

IMG_20220515_100658656_HDR.resized.jpg

IMG_20220515_100619297_HDR.resized.jpg

Might I suggest you pop in at the Moto Guzzi boys in Table View as they would love to see that bike ... and then drop a note here when you do go so I can pop in and say hi at the same time

On 5/15/2022 at 9:12 AM, Hairy said:

Random question .... what is the ride on the N1 like from CT to JHB, or the other way around again?

It looks like I am going to be traveling to JHB a lot in the near future and I like the idea of doing the route by bike at least once. Given work and time commitments it would have to be a one day ride straight through for each trip.

Given the timelines I would not do it. You need to chill an take a few days.  Rather fly. 

13 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Given the timelines I would not do it. You need to chill an take a few days.  Rather fly. 

Flying sucks 😭.... Well the flying not so much, the people on the flight though...😂